The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aidan McDonough | #25 | LW

On 1/3/2021 at 6:35 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning's 7th round picks are the equivalent of some teams 1st round picks.  McDonough is a legit 6'3" and 200 pounds.  He could be 6'4" 220 pounds when he is 22.  Podkolzin will be 6'2" 220 pounds.  We will have 2 legit power forwards in our top 9.  Add in the three Swedes, Hoglander lighting it up with Petey and Costmar on the 4th line doing his best Alex Burrows impersonation and the future looks bright.

You took 2 inches off of Podkolzin - he is a legit 6'4" and, apparently, not quite finished growing as he was 6'3.5 in August.

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The kid has 2" of worms in him?   Better get him to NA soon.   I know some of the guys don't do well on the food in the KHL but worms.......

Nah, just been a topic of discussion that finally slowed down, but I suspect it’s gonna heat up again.

Lots of disagreements about how tall Podkolzin actually is. You probably missed some of it (welcome back btw), but we’ve had pages of arguments over whether he’s 6’1” or 6’4” or something in between.

Personally, I think he’s bigger but not 6’4” bigger, despite what the KHL says.

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You took 2 inches off of Podkolzin - he is a legit 6'4" and, apparently, not quite finished growing as he was 6'3.5 in August.

We've had many discussions on it.  He's a legit 6'2" right now.  He's been seen on the ice next to guys who are 6'4" and he is clearly shorter than that.  However, he apparently has large hands and feet so he could have another growth spurt in the next year.  He could hit 6'3" when he joins the Canucks.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Nah, just been a topic of discussion that finally slowed down, but I suspect it’s gonna heat up again.

Lots of disagreements about how tall Podkolzin actually is. You probably missed some of it (welcome back btw), but we’ve had pages of arguments over whether he’s 6’1” or 6’4” or something in between.

He is 6'4".    I know this for a fact.   Cheers.

18 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We've had many discussions on it.  He's a legit 6'2" right now.  He's been seen on the ice next to guys who are 6'4" and he is clearly shorter than that.  However, he apparently has large hands and feet so he could have another growth spurt in the next year.  He could hit 6'3" when he joins the Canucks.

I know people in the KHL and know the testing results and know he is 6'4" just prior to WJC and was 6'3.5" in August.   These are measurement facts.   Missed all the previous drama but that is what he is.   Not sure why a need to debate it.....unless you are a tall woman wanting to date him.    He is the height he is - why any debate?

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

PS - thanks, good to be back and I see that CDC has not changed much....which is nice!   

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I know people in the KHL and know the testing results and know he is 6'4" just prior to WJC and was 6'3.5" in August.   These are measurement facts.   Missed all the previous drama but that is what he is.   Not sure why a need to debate it.....unless you are a tall woman wanting to date him.    He is the height he is - why any debate?

Because I don't want him to be taller than me on the ice.  End of discussion...  :)

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Because he doesn't look 6'4 and it wouldn't be the 1st time a mistake or exaggeration has been made with a player's height or weight. Somebody posted something at some point confirming that it was a typo so who's to believe?!

Edit: Found the source

From Harmon Dayal "I asked Vasili Podkolzin's agent about this a couple of months ago. He says it's listed incorrectly. According to him, Podkolzin "grew a couple of cm" over the summer but that's about it. So he's still in the 6-foot-1 to 6-foot-2 range"

Edited by Ihatetomatoes

3 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Because he doesn't look 6'4 and it wouldn't be the 1st time a mistake or exaggeration has been made with a player's height or weight. Somebody posted something at some point confirming that it was a typo so who's to believe?!

Perhaps believe the guys who measured him?    LOL.

I simply don't understand why it would lead to any debate though.   He is what he is.   /story.    Why all the fuss?   I guess I am adding to it but I know how tall he is (saw the notes from the combine - they don't make mistakes) and have seen him on the ice standing beside other players I also know the height of.   He has a bent over playing style - not sure if that is what people refer to.   Grab some tape of any game end of a Russian game where they stand on blue line and you can see it there.    If it really matters that much to anyone.    

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

I simply don't understand why it would lead to any debate though.   He is what he is.   /story.    Why all the fuss?   I guess I am adding to it but I know how tall he is (saw the notes from the combine - they don't make mistakes) and have seen him on the ice standing beside other players I also know the height of.   He has a bent over playing style - not sure if that is what people refer to.   Grab some tape of any game end of a Russian game where they stand on blue line and you can see it there.    If it really matters that much to anyone.    

I edited my post but in case you missed it.

From Harmon Dayal "I asked Vasili Podkolzin's agent about this a couple of months ago. He says it's listed incorrectly. According to him, Podkolzin "grew a couple of cm" over the summer but that's about it. So he's still in the 6-foot-1 to 6-foot-2 range"

Someone isn't correct here

1 minute ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I edited my post but in case you missed it.

From Harmon Dayal "I asked Vasili Podkolzin's agent about this a couple of months ago. He says it's listed incorrectly. According to him, Podkolzin "grew a couple of cm" over the summer but that's about it. So he's still in the 6-foot-1 to 6-foot-2 range"

Someone isn't correct here

Harmon's Russian perhaps but why care about it?    Does it make him a different hockey player?    He is what he is.    Sorry I even mentioned it as clearly a few of you are fixated with this.   I'm out and you can debate on and wait for the Canuck roster listing next season and then argue they got it wrong too I guess.    

PS - how much does Jake weigh?   What about EP40?

59 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Combine said "Vasily Podkolzin: Listed 6-feet-1, 190 pounds. Actual 6-feet-0.75, 196 pounds." 

https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nhl-combine-heights-weights/

He is currently around 6' 2" from the eye test based on what I saw at the WJC: 

image.png.a56cf00c0b9164d4cbf27457ff81ef3d.png

Based on this, I'm gonna say he is 6'2". KNYAZEV Artemi, number 3, is listed as 6'0" and SAFONOV Ilya, number 24, is listed as 6'4". 

He is DEFINITELY shorter than Aidan... :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Combine said "Vasily Podkolzin: Listed 6-feet-1, 190 pounds. Actual 6-feet-0.75, 196 pounds." 

https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nhl-combine-heights-weights/

He is currently around 6' 2" from the eye test based on what I saw at the WJC: 

image.png.a56cf00c0b9164d4cbf27457ff81ef3d.png

Based on this, I'm gonna say he is 6'2". KNYAZEV Artemi, number 3, is listed as 6'0" and SAFONOV Ilya, number 24, is listed as 6'4". 

He is DEFINITELY shorter than Aidan... :rolleyes:

KHL combine for selection squad.      Looks shorter in that picture for sure.   Not sure what that means as I know how tall he is.  Again, why does it matter?

54 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

KHL combine for selection squad.      Looks shorter in that picture for sure.   Not sure what that means as I know how tall he is.  Again, why does it matter?

It doesn't really. But prospect pumpers get excited when they get bigger and we don't have NHL games at the moment so people speculate to entertain themsevles. haha