Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

Aidan is definitely heating up, after a bit of a sputtering start to his season. Back to nearly a point per game on the year, and hopefully he’ll surpass that rate, by season’s end.

 

He’s heating up at the right time, with the Hockey East tournament scheduled to start in less than a month.

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Aidan is definitely heating up, after a bit of a sputtering start to his season. Back to nearly a point per game on the year, and hopefully he’ll surpass that rate, by season’s end.

 

He’s heating up at the right time, with the Hockey East tournament scheduled to start in less than a month.

He was good last season to. In fact if I recall rightly I mentioned to you this kids needs to watched carefully last season. He's turned 22 and will be 23 at the start of next season so he's more like a senor than a sophomore, none the less even as we judge him as a senior he's still doing very well. Judds parting present ot Vcr  LOL

Edited by Fred65
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Fred65 said:

He was good last season to. In fact if I recall rightly I mentioned to you this kids needs to watched carefully last season. He's turned 22 and will be 23 at the start of next season so he's more like a senor than a sophomore, none the less even as we judge him as a senior he's still doing very well. Judds parting present ot Vcr  LOL

Yeah, he’s definitely one to watch. He gets overlooked because of his profile as a late round pick, and also being a late bloomer (he was only around 5’6” when he started at Thayer and was 6’1” or maybe even 6’2 by the time he graduated—and he’s 6’3” and 200+ lbs now) and an overager and late birthday (November 1999–so he’s 21), but there’s a lot to like about McDonough and he’s only becoming more well rounded and complete, as he matures and develops. His shot has been pro level for a while, and he has good instincts and a nose for the net, but now his skating is starting to really get where it needs to be, and he’s improving his two way game as well. He’s always been a smart player, with a good skillset, and he has an edge and some grit, uses that big frame to his full advantage, and likes to play a heavy game. I’ve had him in my second tier for a while, after the “can’t miss” group of guys like Hogs and Pod, and really think he has the makings of a solid, middle-six NHL winger.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

 

That was a slick move, not only the stick move, not only the head fake, but the juke too. Impressive, you don’t often see that happening often even in the NHL.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

That was a slick move, not only the stick move, not only the head fake, but the juke too. Impressive, you don’t often see that happening often even in the NHL.

Northeastern has a perfect record in the shootout this season, and McDonough has been a big part of that success.

 

Here’s another one of his shootout winners, from earlier in the season:

 

He’s so calm and smooth, and just cold blooded, when he’s on the shootout and one on one with the goalie.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I followed this kid from early on and mentioned 

Quote

I was glancing at the numbers on this kid and there's some things to like.

 

He's 6'3"/200, 20 years old

He's in a good  system ( Nor'Eastern ) that has produced Gaudette and Madden

Clearly the coach Jim Madigan unlike old school NCAA coaches gives opportunity to Freshman and Sophomores.

Likely the go to player next season with Madden and Shea gone.

His freshman stats are almost identical to Madden, 11g, 16 A

 

down side, is his numbers bolstered playing alongside Madden and Shea/Solow 

 

This kid could be the dark horse or is this just summer doldrums :lol:

 

Edited by Fred65
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

JB as in Judd Brackett? :ph34r:

It will be interesting to see if the influx of premium quality prospects dries up immediately now that Judd is gone, as some posters purport to believe will happen.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

It will be interesting to see if the influx of premium quality prospects dries up immediately now that Judd is gone, as some posters purport to believe will happen.

I'm just as interested in whether there is any up tic in Minnesota's drafting now that he is their director of amateur scouting.

 

Personally, I am not expecting to see any noticeable change in drafting success for either team. Vancouver's drafting will be just fine without him IMO. 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I'm just as interested in whether there is any up tic in Minnesota's drafting now that he is their director of amateur scouting.

 

Personally, I am not expecting to see any noticeable change in drafting success for either team. Vancouver's drafting will be just fine without him IMO. 

If Minny was in real need of Judd's abilities, their drafting certainly could improve. But I expect you are right about Vancouver.

 

Drafting has always been JB's strong point, both when he had Judd helping him and when he did not, so I expect our inflow of young stars to continue, although there could be a pause coming up due to our lack of high picks in last year's draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

If Minny was in real need of Judd's abilities, their drafting certainly could improve. But I expect you are right about Vancouver.

 

Drafting has always been JB's strong point, both when he had Judd helping him and when he did not, so I expect our inflow of young stars to continue, although there could be a pause coming up due to our lack of high picks in last year's draft.

The one thing I think Judd will bring to the table in Minny is a change in focus on what to look for when evaluating young talent for the draft. He is a benefactor of refining his skills under the tutelage of Benning.

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

It will be interesting to see if the influx of premium quality prospects dries up immediately now that Judd is gone, as some posters purport to believe will happen.

Minny had a pretty solid 2020 draft (although some of their early picks were no-brainers that kinda fell into their laps), but I was surprised that Judd didn’t find a way to snag a late pick to draft Gunnarwolfe Fontaine, who seemed like the prototypical “Brackett pick” for that year’s class (unless all those late round “Brackett picks” in previous years were actually Canucks Scouting picks?). 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...