The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aidan McDonough | #25 | LW

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

McDonough has the 2PP RW in his sites. Petey on #1. Actually EP40 had better keep practicing because this kid can fire the puck! Hoping he is in Utica next year.  

Another kid reputed to have a heck of a shot Jackson Kunz, 6'3"/215 and 15 + 9 with Green Bay, next year North Dakota.

• 2 weeks later...

I really think we should sign Aidan McDonough 6'2, 200lbs, 21 he turns 22 in November.. To develop more he needs to play with pro players in the AHL and play more games this year? Ask any hockey person the AHL is a very good league. To practice with pro players at his age its time to see he pro career take off..

Lets sign this 21 year old prospect now...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I think he should stay for another season. We already have a lot of depth on wing throughout the organization and I'd rather see him continue develop his offensive game rather than being on the 3rd or 4th line in the AHL. 

I’d be surprised if he turns pro this year. I certainly wouldn’t be against it, and would be quite pleased, actually, if he got signed. But I expect he’ll return to NU for at least one more year, and possibly play out his full 4 years and complete his degree, before signing his ELC. 

The Huskies will see the bulk of their leadership group graduating this year, as well as key contributors like Solow (Captain and leading scorer) and Jozefek (Assistant Captain and T4th).  So next year offers McDonough a chance to take on even more of a main role, likely wear a letter, and really look to be a key player, both in scoring/production and taking on a leadership role, on and off the ice.

It’s a pretty young team, with the majority of the roster being underclassmen, a large group of sophomores (I think 11) now moving with McDonough to their junior years, some freshmen (like Gunnarwolfe Fontaine) showing great promise, and also a solid recruitment class coming in for 2021-22. I could see McDonough sticking around for another year or two and seeing if he can help lead the next generation of the team, and build the group into a Frozen Four contender, and maybe win another Beanpot, before he closes out his college career.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

7 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Could be. He has one of the best names, for sure. I really like him as a player, as well. Would not have complained if we’d taken Fontaine with any of our picks from rounds 4-7 last year (although I was still happy with the players we drafted).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

On 3/15/2021 at 8:15 AM, DeltaSwede said:

I think he should stay for another season. We already have a lot of depth on wing throughout the organization and I'd rather see him continue develop his offensive game rather than being on the 3rd or 4th line in the AHL. 

Huh, I don’t see all this depth on the wing, I don’t consider a Roussel or Eriksson winger depth and Person may be too expensive fo4 us to retain. With Miller looking more effective in the middle than on the wing, it gives great depth at centre if Pettersson also stays in the middle. There is quite the drop-off on right wing after Boeser - Virtanen, Gaudette (if he is deployed as a winger), and then what? MacEwen and Bailey don’t appear to thrill Green. Next up is Lind, who is being redeployed as a centre, and Lockwood. Do we see Hawrilyuk as a regular player on a contender? As for left wing, there is Hoglander, Motte, and Pearson is likely gone, Roussel and Eriksson don’t belong on a decent team, and maybe we have Vesey. Podkolzin is coming and should take a LW spot.

Looking at Utica, the only LW is Gadjovich, I don’t count Baertschi. In the future we may have McDonough and Kunz.

Among the Europeans, there is nobody in the top league who is particularly thrilling other tan Podkolzin. Karlsson is not even in the top league, Costmar has not been thrilling at the top level in his league, and Zlodeyev is hurt so we don’t know what we have. 

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Huh, I don’t see all this depth on the wing, I don’t consider a Roussel or Eriksson winger depth and Person may be too expensive fo4 us to retain. With Miller looking more effective in the middle than on the wing, it gives great depth at centre if Pettersson also stays in the middle. There is quite the drop-off on right wing after Boeser - Virtanen, Gaudette (if he is deployed as a winger), and then what? MacEwen and Bailey don’t appear to thrill Green. Next up is Lind, who is being redeployed as a centre, and Lockwood. Do we see Hawrilyuk as a regular player on a contender? As for left wing, there is Hoglander, Motte, and Pearson is likely gone, Roussel and Eriksson don’t belong on a decent team, and maybe we have Vesey. Podkolzin is coming and should take a LW spot.

Looking at Utica, the only LW is Gadjovich, I don’t count Baertschi. In the future we may have McDonough and Kunz.

Among the Europeans, there is nobody in the top league who is particularly thrilling other tan Podkolzin. Karlsson is not even in the top league, Costmar has not been thrilling at the top level in his league, and Zlodeyev is hurt so we don’t know what we have. 

Podkolzin is a RW FYI.

So it looks like we'll have Boeser, Podkolzin.. perhaps then Lind on the right with any number of guys (MacEwan, Karlsson, Lockwood, Jasek if he doesn't stay at C etc) to fill in below that.

Left side we have whichever of Miller/Pettersson are playing wing, Hoglander, potentially Gaudette as a winger conversion, Vesey that we added today, Motte, Gadjovich, Michaelis, Keppen, McDonough...

So yeah, it's pretty good organizational depth.

And if we're left wanting from none of those guys making it, there's always UFA's and trades.

19 hours ago, aGENT said:

Podkolzin is a RW FYI.

So it looks like we'll have Boeser, Podkolzin.. perhaps then Lind on the right with any number of guys (MacEwan, Karlsson, Lockwood, Jasek if he doesn't stay at C etc) to fill in below that.

Left side we have whichever of Miller/Pettersson are playing wing, Hoglander, potentially Gaudette as a winger conversion, Vesey that we added today, Motte, Gadjovich, Michaelis, Keppen, McDonough...

So yeah, it's pretty good organizational depth.

And if we're left wanting from none of those guys making it, there's always UFA's and trades.

It will be interesting to see if Lind winds up back on the wing in the NHL or if they like him more as a center. 

• Cheers 1