The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aidan McDonough | #25 | LW

On 12/17/2019 at 2:50 PM, theo5789 said:

No one is suggesting that he is indeed riding his coattails. If he were though, then that just makes Madden better. If Aidan is holding his own then we have two gems instead of one, but at the very least we are getting one gem out of this duo if either one is making the other better. Not every prospect makes it, so just saying that the odds here that we get at least one solid player out this is much greater.

I don't think it's too crazy to think that a 7th round pick might be getting some help from a proven effective college player. But Benning and crew are seemingly finding gems everywhere in the draft.

You are suggesting he's riding his coattails, man. You are.

I will say this -- Aiden is a D+1 pick so that does play into his advantage in the college ranks because he stuck around the USHL a year longer than most. That said, he's been described as a late bloomer and the fact that he's producing ppg in his freshmen year in the NCAA even as a 19/20 year old bodes well for his future. I think he's a gem and the true test will come when Madden invitably joins the Canucks in March of this year and how he handles a year without Madden... I suspect he'll do well. Lots of NCAA guys slip till the back half of the draft and turn into gems... so I have faith. Plus, Judd Brackett knows how to spot an NCAA gem.

Fun fact; Jack Rathone and Aidan McDonagh are life long friends.

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I'm no hater. Some may look for simplistic answers but for the life of me I cannot grasp the need to amplify beyond reason how young prospects are going to urn out to be NHL stars. It's mugs game. Think of how many draft selection the Canucks have made over the years and how many actually make it to the NHL. The standard used to be how many play 100 games and I recall Mike Penney stating Vcr was in the middle of the pack. Names and people come and go but the facts are constant

Maybe we're all hoping for the next Burr to come out of nowhere. You seem to be dismissive of our hopefuls.

On 12/18/2019 at 7:04 PM, Quantum said:

You are suggesting he's riding his coattails, man. You are.

I will say this -- Aiden is a D+1 pick so that does play into his advantage in the college ranks because he stuck around the USHL a year longer than most. That said, he's been described as a late bloomer and the fact that he's producing ppg in his freshmen year in the NCAA even as a 19/20 year old bodes well for his future. I think he's a gem and the true test will come when Madden invitably joins the Canucks in March of this year and how he handles a year without Madden... I suspect he'll do well. Lots of NCAA guys slip till the back half of the draft and turn into gems... so I have faith. Plus, Judd Brackett knows how to spot an NCAA gem.

Fun fact; Jack Rathone and Aidan McDonagh are life long friends.

Madden this March?  Hmmm that will depend on our health and where we are in terms of the playoffs.  

No way in hell that Madden comes in and displaces one of our regulars if we're within striking distance of a playoff spot.  We'll see what our health is like, but he doesn't have an open door the same way that Gaudette, Boeser and Hughes did, and don't get me wrong, I really am excited for Madden.  I think he's got a choice between AHL or staying in NCAA one more year if we're being realistic.  

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Time to trade our 1st’s for a bunch of middle picks yeah?:frantic:

When our picks become late in the round picks, which is likely to start happening very soon, I imagine that is something they might consider, depending on the way the talent is distributed in the draft.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Cheers 2

i Was just digging through our 2019 draft and noticed this kid is looking very strong in the numbers category read some of the comments above.... is this kid another gaud/madden in the making? Very cool to see he’s over a point a game with a slow start to the season in his first 6 he had 1 point is that correct? Looked up gaud for comparison in his draft Follow up year and he seems to actually have better numbers or am I missing something? Sorry for all the questions I’m trying to dig but frustrating myself that’s why I’m here asking for some clarity thanks!! 

On 12/20/2019 at 10:17 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Madden this March?  Hmmm that will depend on our health and where we are in terms of the playoffs.  

No way in hell that Madden comes in and displaces one of our regulars if we're within striking distance of a playoff spot.  We'll see what our health is like, but he doesn't have an open door the same way that Gaudette, Boeser and Hughes did, and don't get me wrong, I really am excited for Madden.  I think he's got a choice between AHL or staying in NCAA one more year if we're being realistic.  

Madden is one of the best players in the NCAA right now. And that's after he had a great freshmen season. I'm not sure he immediately jumps into NHL action next season as a regular but I don't think it's crazy to think he'll sign with the Canucks this March. He will most likely get his run of games to burn a year off his ELC if he does turn pro at the end of this season. Financially, it makes a lot of sense to do it. And he'd be the 1C option in Utica in 2020-2021, most likely. I don't expect Brandon Sutter to be with the team next season too (I expect he gets dealt this summer to help with the Canucks cap situation since he'll be an expiring deal in 2020-2021). 

On 1/7/2020 at 2:47 AM, LegionOfDoom said:

i Was just digging through our 2019 draft and noticed this kid is looking very strong in the numbers category read some of the comments above.... is this kid another gaud/madden in the making? Very cool to see he’s over a point a game with a slow start to the season in his first 6 he had 1 point is that correct? Looked up gaud for comparison in his draft Follow up year and he seems to actually have better numbers or am I missing something? Sorry for all the questions I’m trying to dig but frustrating myself that’s why I’m here asking for some clarity thanks!! 

Yes, he only had 1 point in his 1st 6 games.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/players/career/Aidan-McDonough/36737

Gaudette had 12 goals and 18 assists in his 1st season at Northeastern over 41 games so, yes, McDonough is ahead of his pace.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Read somewhere all 8 goals on the season have been on the PP? Anyone confirm? Not sure how I feel if true. I mean at least he scoring but if he has no 5v5 production...

Yes, that is correct. In fact, it looks like all but 2 of his points have come from the PP if you look at all the goals he was involved in in the attached.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/players/career/Aidan-McDonough/36737