The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aidan McDonough | #25 | LW

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yes, but this one should be credit to our NCAA scout.  I can't remember off the top of my head who it is but I know that we have different scouts for different leagues.  

True, it’s the boots on the ground who do the real work, but those guys get their direction from Bracket.  These are the same scouts we had before, and we didn’t draft nearly so well until Bracket implemented his methods.  Look how many really good looking prospects we are getting outside of rounds one and two.  It’s incredible!  Isn’t there a seventh round pick tearing up the Swedish junior league too?  We must keep Bracket.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

True, it’s the boots on the ground who do the real work, but those guys get their direction from Bracket.  These are the same scouts we had before, and we didn’t draft nearly so well until Bracket implemented his methods.  Look how many really good looking prospects we are getting outside of rounds one and two.  It’s incredible!  Isn’t there a seventh round pick tearing up the Swedish junior league too?  We must keep Bracket.  

This is absolutely true.  But we also got to give credit to Benning as it was he and Bracket that gave the direction.  IIRC there was a video of the scouts meeting early on in his tenure where they were discussing definitions (soft, hard to play against, etc.) and what to look for in players and Benning was the one guiding the conversation.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Petey Castiglione said:

This is absolutely true.  But we also got to give credit to Benning as it was he and Bracket that gave the direction.  IIRC there was a video of the scouts meeting early on in his tenure where they were discussing definitions (soft, hard to play against, etc.) and what to look for in players and Benning was the one guiding the conversation.

What about promoting JB to full time President?  He’s doing the job right now already.  And make Bracket the GM?  I just don’t like that Wisebrod guy.  He reminds me of another Ron Delorme.  

Just now, Alflives said:

What about promoting JB to full time President?  He’s doing the job right now already.  And make Bracket the GM?  I just don’t like that Wisebrod guy.  He reminds me of another Ron Delorme.  

I was definitely on the fence about Wisebrod when they brought him in.  His track record in Calgary was not that impressive but if you dig deeper on him, he's a smart guy.  He understands sports/athletes which you can see by his time with the NBA's Orlando Magic.  He was absolutely stoked about getting Hughes (the picture of him on stage at the draft is hilarious) and the teamwork him and both JB's have is working better beyond what we could've hoped for.  So at this time, if it ain't broke why fix it?

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

I was definitely on the fence about Wisebrod when they brought him in.  His track record in Calgary was not that impressive but if you dig deeper on him, he's a smart guy.  He understands sports/athletes which you can see by his time with the NBA's Orlando Magic.  He was absolutely stoked about getting Hughes (the picture of him on stage at the draft is hilarious) and the teamwork him and both JB's have is working better beyond what we could've hoped for.  So at this time, if it ain't broke why fix it?

It is broke though.  Bracket is leaving. :(

On 3/7/2020 at 8:29 PM, Boudrias said:

Is that for real? You can imagine the offers he has coming in. What Vancouver has pulled off over the past few years is top notch. 

I dont believe there's any truth to it.  I did a quick google search and though he has not been re-signed he has been with the Canucks since 2008 and no one was talking about how awesome he was during the MG regime (I did not know he's been with us that long).  I think it's safe to say he became the "scout guru" he is now due to the guidance of JB and has moved up the chain since.  Hopefully that means he has loyalty to our club, this management team and would like to stick around to watch his work come to fruition. 

Speaking of which, Aidan McDonough looks to be another college gem unearthed by the scouting team.  Power forward mold sitting at just below PPG in his freshman year.  

Currently at 11G 16A 27PTS in 31GP

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

On 3/7/2020 at 8:29 PM, Boudrias said:

Is that for real? You can imagine the offers he has coming in. What Vancouver has pulled off over the past few years is top notch. 

@Alflives Alf is just stating it as if he knows for a fact. The truth is, no one knows. We could just as easily say Alf is wrong. No one knows if we're right to say that either.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

@Alflives Alf is just stating it as if he knows for a fact. The truth is, no one knows. We could just as easily say Alf is wrong. No one knows if we're right to say that either.

Alf also said that LE has a handshake agreement that he will retire after his bonus. If he's right about Brackett leaving, then hopefully he's also right about the handshake agreement.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Alf also said that LE has a handshake agreement that he will retire after his bonus. If he's right about Brackett leaving, then hopefully he's also right about the handshake agreement.

Him being right about LE and his suggestion that Brackett is leaving are mutually exclusive events. He could still be wrong about Brackett and right about LE. Or wrong about both ideas.

The way he's parroting stuff on CDC is perpetuating misinformation. He has no inside information.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Him being right about LE and his suggestion that Brackett is leaving are mutually exclusive events. He could still be wrong about Brackett and right about LE. Or wrong about both ideas.

The way he's parroting stuff on CDC is perpetuating misinformation. He has no inside information.

He's probably still more accurate than Eklund though.

• 1 month later...

I was glancing at the numbers on this kid and there's some things to like.

He's 6'3"/200, 20 years old

He's in a good  system ( Nor'Eastern ) that has produced Gaudette and Madden

Clearly the coach Jim Madigan unlike old school NCAA coaches gives opportunity to Freshman and Sophomores.

Likely the go to player next season with Madden and Shea gone.

His freshman stats are almost identical to Madden, 11g, 16 A

down side, is his numbers bolstered playing alongside Madden and Shea/Solow 

This kid could be the dark horse or is this just summer doldrums :lol:

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I was glancing at the numbers on this kid and there's some things to like.

He's 6'3"/200, 20 years old

He's in a good  system ( Nor'Eastern ) that has produced Gaudette and Madden

Clearly the coach Jim Madigan unlike old school NCAA coaches gives opportunity to Freshman and Sophomores.

Likely the go to player next season with Madden and Shea gone.

His freshman stats are almost identical to Madden, 11g, 16 A

down side, is his numbers bolstered playing alongside Madden and Shea/Solow 

This kid could be the dark horse or is this just summer doldrums :lol:

Definitely a kid with some real upside. He’s more of a complimentary piece than a central play-driver/creator, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing in a shoot-first winger, especially one with the size and inclination to play a heavy game and bring some grit.

I could see something like McDonough-Gaudette-Lind being a 3rd line option one day (of course, given prospect graduation probabilities, there’s probably less than 10% chance that both McDonough and Lind make the NHL and play together).

I’d call him a “dark horse“ for now, but that could easily change next year, depending on how he tracks and progresses through his sophomore year.

I definitely wouldn’t bet against any Canucks prospect going through the New England Prep/Cape Cod Whalers/USHL/Northeastern pipeline. That’s a development path that’s been very kind to us. Hopefully it continues to yield great results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Definitely a kid with some real upside. He’s more of a complimentary piece than a central play-driver/creator, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing in a shoot-first winger, especially one with the size and inclination to play a heavy game and bring some grit.

I could see something like McDonough-Gaudette-Lind being a 3rd line option one day (of course, given prospect graduation probabilities, there’s probably less than 10% chance that both McDonough and Lind make the NHL and play together).

I’d call him a “dark horse“ for now, but that could easily change next year, depending on how he tracks and progresses through his sophomore year.

I definitely wouldn’t bet against any Canucks prospect going through the New England Prep/Cape Cod Whalers/USHL/Northeastern pipeline. That’s a development path that’s been very kind to us. Hopefully it continues to yield great results.

What do you think about Jim Madigan taking over Utica  :lol: :lol: The NCAA often pays coaches well and you have more clout in the university ranks than in the Pro's but …….. 

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

What do you think about Jim Madigan taking over Utica  :lol: :lol: The NCAA often pays coaches well and you have more clout in the university ranks than in the Pro's but …….. 

Yeah, I don’t think he’s looking to move. The guy bleeds Northeastern’s colours. But if he were to entertain the idea, I’d have high confidence in his ability to work with young players (especially) and succeed as an AHL coach. Madigan learned under one of the best, serving for several years as an assistant to head coach Ben Smith (current player personnel director for USA Hockey). Then he did a nearly two decade stint as an NHL scout. And finally, he returned to his alma mater to take over the hockey program at Northeastern, where he’s locked into a head coaching contract through 2022-23. Don’t see him going anywhere anytime soon. But if he wanted to coach Utica, I’d be happy to see him get the chance (not that I’m really looking to see Trent Cull fired or anything).

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, I don’t think he’s looking to move. The guy bleeds Northeastern’s colours. But if he were to entertain the idea, I’d have high confidence in his ability to work with young players (especially) and succeed as an AHL coach. Madigan learned under one of the best, serving for several years as an assistant to head coach Ben Smith (current player personnel director for USA Hockey). Then he did a nearly two decade stint as an NHL scout. And finally, he returned to his alma mater to take over the hockey program at Northeastern, where he’s locked into a head coaching contract through 2022-23. Don’t see him going anywhere anytime soon. But if he wanted to coach Utica, I’d be happy to see him get the chance (not that I’m really looking to see Trent Cull fired or anything).

Thks, that's quite the resume

I like Brackett but he was hired by Benning and Linden.... Not a lot of pro experience drafting before he was hired 4 yrs ago?.. I think Jim Benning is the key guy when it comes to drafting in Vancouver.. Jim has lot of influence on what picks are taken.

Jim's Dad was a pro scout so Jim has so so much experience.... 

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Thks, that's quite the resume

It is. Of course, there are probably a hundred coaches out there with similar résumés, but I think what sets Madigan apart is his personality. Really calm, positive, and encouraging guy, but also commands attention and respect, and he has just has a huge enthusiasm for the game of hockey and for the day-to-day job of working with the players and building a solid program. And, perhaps most unique among NCAA coaches, he’s not afraid to give his freshmen chances to take on big roles from day one and really jumpstart their growth and development.