The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arvid Costmar | C

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

That’s who he looks like!

I was trying to think of who he looks like the whole game. Thanks!

I've always had a soft spot for pests who don't play the game dirty. Two former Finnish players, Jarkko Ruutu and Ville Nieminen, are a couple of guys that come to mind. They didn't goon it up like a guy such as Scott Parker, but while they had NHL-level skill, their peskiness was elite. It will be a hell of a mountain for Costmar to climb to become an every day NHL player, but if he's successful in doing so, he can be one of those rare pesky/agitating bottom-6 role players that you don't see every day. We all love that kind of player - or at least I know I do. :wub:

edit: mind you, Nieminen had a mug like no other... him playing on that '04 Flames squad will always be imprinted in my mind. Brings back some good childhood memories actually. :lol:

3155ca69a1cb4636bc762699dc55f29b.jpg

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Tracksuit said:

The head Scout that actually found these gems is no longer here. 
prior to Judd Taking over JB selected took virtanen and OJ . 

So yikes when you look who came after.

costmar has been fun to watch another great pick from the Canucks SCOUTING STAFF. (To bad their  gone because of jbs ego couldn’t handle it.) 

And before Benning In six years Judd was involved with one pick that was successful (Horvat) and since we literally acquired the pick 5 mins before we drafted him doubt Judd had any say in the pick.

As for Jake, it's common knowledge Benning was pushed into Jake but I'm sure you knew that.

Posters like you are so transparent, every home-run pick is Judd, every pick that hasn't worked out yet is on Benning.

I won't sit here and defend everything Benning has done but by all accounts, he's deferred to the scouts instead of overruling them.

Judd left because his ego was more important then working as a unit, I say good riddance.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Judd left because his ego was more important then working as a unit, I say good riddance.

I don't know... that might be a little extreme. If anything, Brackett has been given an opportunity in Minnesota where he basically has full autonomy over the draft (which he arguably deserves), whereas Benning and Weisbrod have a more hands on approach. Although they're GM and AGM respectively, drafting is one of the departments where they're heavily involved - leaving less room for a guy as accomplished as Brackett to make decisions. 

To be honest, I don't think any of it was too ego-centred - even if that might have been one of the many narratives that the media tried to spin. It's strictly business; and in the end, probably best for both sides. As we develop into a perennial cup contender, Brackett now has full autonomy to do his thing in Minni - and I think that organization's off to a great start with him, selecting Rossi with their first pick, then trading Kunin in a package to acquire the pick they used to select Khusnutdinov.

I wish him the best of luck. :)

Still think he’s a long shot to make the NHL. So much depends on his inner desire. I’m drawing a blank on the name of Petey’s little countryman who was supposed to join him on the Canucks. That dude may have not had the necessary skill , but he definitely didn’t have the intestinal fortitude to work on his game in Utica and fled back to Sweden.

I hope Costmar gives it his best shot to come over to North America. Every team can use a skilled pest. 

3 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Still think he’s a long shot to make the NHL. So much depends on his inner desire. I’m drawing a blank on the name of Petey’s little countryman who was supposed to join him on the Canucks. That dude may have not had the necessary skill , but he definitely didn’t have the intestinal fortitude to work on his game in Utica and fled back to Sweden.

I hope Costmar gives it his best shot to come over to North America. Every team can use a skilled pest. 

Dahlen

8 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Jonathan Dahlen.  The very fact that he'd rather play in the lower ranking SEL, so he can be a star in his home town speaks volumes.  Can you imagine an AHL player doing the same thing?  Really shows a lack of drive/passion for the game imo.  The greatest athletes want to play in the best league, against the best players.

Costmar appears to be a more rounded player than Dahlen and may have a chance to challenge for a bottom 6 position.  Dahlen's game is one dimensional, which limits him to only play in the top 6.

14 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

He may be a longshot, but he's in a position of need for us. With Sutter's contract expiring, Gaudette needing work for the 3C role and eventually Beagle will age out, we have a need for bottom 6 centers. He plays a gritty role and looks good on faceoffs. Sweden has been using him in a top PK role (another future need for us) and even has given him 2nd unit PP time. So his ability to play in all situations also helps him. Not bad for a 7th round pick.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah Judd is the greatest human to ever walk this earth. It was cool when he made all the decisions for us. Too bad he’s gone 

Yeah like all those contracts we can’t get rid of and bad trades. 

decades of bad drafting ( including after benning took over) then all of a sudden our drafting improved just a coincidence I guess. 

How  long was Judd unemployed when he left? 

1 minute ago, Tracksuit said:

Yeah like all those contracts we can’t get rid of and bad trades. 

decades of bad drafting ( including after benning took over) then all of a sudden our drafting improved just a coincidence I guess. 

How  long was Judd unemployed when he left? 

When your a bottom feeder pretty tough having to out bid teams In free agency. Those contracts you’re referring to are a million too high And a year too long. Yeah that is what it is. This team is past that now. Judd is and was a great asset. And a GM is only as good as the people around him but to suggest every great pick or move was a result of him and every bad one is JB is ignorant

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

And before Benning In six years Judd was involved with one pick that was successful (Horvat) and since we literally acquired the pick 5 mins before we drafted him doubt Judd had any say in the pick.

As for Jake, it's common knowledge Benning was pushed into Jake but I'm sure you knew that.

Posters like you are so transparent, every home-run pick is Judd, every pick that hasn't worked out yet is on Benning.

I won't sit here and defend everything Benning has done but by all accounts, he's deferred to the scouts instead of overruling them.

Always excuses JB fanboys.

doesn't work out not JB fault works out all praise lord JB 
As bad as trump supporters. 
Jb picked JV = fake news. 

Delarome was a Proven horrible head scout. 

good/smart people surround themselves with good people who can do the good they are HIRED AND PAID TO DO. Jim didn’t hire Judd and that’s why he’s gone. he as in the head scouting role was excellent and his record in that role is proof that said  it wasn’t  all Judd it was the scouting department. Jim  isn’t scouting kids regularly he listing to to the reports and assessments  given to him. If like delarome the reports Assessments are 90% crap then so is the drafting since that’s what the GM is basing things on.

Judd get promoted and all of a sudden we start consistently having better draft success than We ve had in decades, just a coincidence right. 

And maybe if Jim focused more on the Managing side of things this team would be in cap he’ll while be a fringe wild card team. Best news for the farm hands is Jim’s mismanaging since now he’s being forced to actually give them a chance.

Costmar was another good selection from Judd and his scouting staff. Hopefully he doesn’t  get traded for a

“ age gap” “foundational” “veteran leader” “catch phrase” ect.....

• Haha 2

Costmar played well considering he's in tough. While so many of the Swedish team are recognized as being good, Costmar has to prove himself shift in shift out. I think he did well with the ice time he gets. I could see him doing well  in the CHL ?  he's on the edge of success could go either way

• Upvote 1

Costmar was a very pleasant surprise against Russia hope he can keep it up. He reminds me of ex Canuck Jarkko Ruutu, but a smaller thinner version.....he can really drive the other team crazy.

looking forward too seeing this kid play more this world jrs.

Edited by HockeyHarry