The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arvid Costmar | C

Crazy....all prospects are doing good. WTF...it’s bazaro world ..Canucks have 40+ years of crappy drafting ending with shty prospects.

now Canucks are overflowing with gems.....it’s nuts all draft picks are hitting. 

Thx Q Linden for hiring Jimbo....he’s stockpiling the future.....I’m a happy Canuck fan....good work Jimbo 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

Here is an article from just after the draft, it contains a lot of contradictory observations so I don't know how much stock to put in it.  Seeing Costmar's production this year would argue that the negative reports are most likely over-stated.  But anyway, here goes:
https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/the-canucks-made-the-right-kind-of-gamble-picking-arvid-costmar-in-the-7th-round-1.23871186

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

I read the article above the later parts from Burke of Elite Prospects and Biech of NextGen Hockey are very conflicting. Burke says Costmar is a slow skater and Biech says Costmar is a fast skater who always keeps his feet moving. 

my take on the Costmar article is he’s a younger player who looks for open space and needs others to create offense and is not a  flashy player and is defensively sound. Has an edge to his game even for a smaller player.

Also he had one good Tournament early but had 2 Tournaments that where not productive....so there was high expectations for the later Tournaments but he disappeared on the stat sheet.

Also it mentioned he got hurt in both tournaments and didn’t finish them. (Odd an injured player not playing unable to produce....wierd ) bottom line is I don’t think any Scouts really saw him play his draft season as it was cut short and he battled injuries. Scouts have hundreds of kids to watch Costmar was quickly looked at and forgotten.

the article above posted was an interesting read in which I didn’t know anything about Costmar going in and now I have a clearer picture.

Edited by HockeyHarry

On 1/26/2020 at 6:17 PM, Warhippy said:

What company is he sitting in with this level of production for his age?

Can anyone sort that info out?

It's not an easy comparison to be honest. There just aren't many players that play there u19 year in the SuperElit that go on to have great NHL careers. 

Andreas Johnsson is probably the closest comparable to this point. Costmar will need to produce around .5 P/GP in the SHL next year to keep pace with his development track. 
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/43991/andreas-johnsson

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Derp... said:

It's not an easy comparison to be honest. There just aren't many players that play there u19 year in the SuperElit that go on to have great NHL careers. 

Andreas Johnsson is probably the closest comparable to this point. Costmar will need to produce around .5 P/GP in the SHL next year to keep pace with his development track. 
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/43991/andreas-johnsson

Good to know.  Thanks for the find

On 1/21/2020 at 8:56 PM, HockeyHarry said:

Crazy....all prospects are doing good. WTF...it’s bazaro world ..Canucks have 40+ years of crappy drafting ending with shty prospects.

now Canucks are overflowing with gems.....it’s nuts all draft picks are hitting. 

Thx Q Linden for hiring Jimbo....he’s stockpiling the future.....I’m a happy Canuck fan....good work Jimbo 

Judd Brackett is director of amateur scouting. He gets most of the credit.

Hes ufa at end of year as is goalie coach ian clark.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think the person overseeing the whole thing certainly deserves some of the credit. 

Ofcourse some of the credit.  Thats why i said judd gets most of the credit not all of the credit.

But generally after the 1st round its the scouting staff who make the picks. 

GM and AGM are big part of the discussions  for 1st round picks. After that its mostly the director of scouting and his staff.

Even to draft EP40 it was Judd who pushed hard to draft him. He fought hard and stuck to it. Great job  by him.

To make EP happen, there were those in the organization who really had to lobby.

“There were some heated debates in our meetings after we knew we were going to be at five,” Linden said, looking back to ’17. “The conviction those guys showed … They fought hard.”

Edited by WHL rocks

• 2 weeks later...