The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arvid Costmar | C

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

We had two seventh round picks in 2019, the second was Aiden McDonough. Looks like he’s no slouch, either.

Our 7th round picks are far out performing the 5 players we picked in rounds 4-6. Goes to show the value of getting more picks in the later rounds. From the first round -> second round there is a massive drop, and another significant drop again from the second round -> third round but after that it is basically a crap shoot.

If you add McDonough to the list of 10 NCAA players drafted in the top two rounds he ranks 6/11, which is impressive given a lot of those ahead of him were the top prospects in the draft (Turcotte, Caufield, Zegras, Newhook). The other player Pinto (32nd overall) has just one more point in two additional games played. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, D-Money said:

At the risk of taking this thread far sideways and really p***ing off the people who actually came here to read about Arvid Costmar, here's my response to this article:  Sweden has taken the approach to COVID 19 that Trump would love to take in the US, but hasn't gotten away with (yet).  What we know is that here is no herd immunity to COVID 19.  It is like other coronaviruses, such as the common cold, in that people who get it once develop no immunity to prevent them from getting it again.  But what they have realized in Sweden is that is it mainly just the elderly and infirm who die from catching it, so they are willing to make that sacrifice if it protects their economy, keeps their country open and allows their citizens (except those poor souls who die) to keep living more or less normally.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

6 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

At the risk of taking this thread far sideways and really p***ing off the people who actually came here to read about Arvid Costmar, here's my response to this article:  Sweden has taken the approach to COVID 19 that Trump would love to take in the US, but hasn't gotten away with (yet).  What we know is that here is no herd immunity to COVID 19.  It is like other coronaviruses, such as the common cold, in that people who get it once develop no immunity to prevent them from getting it again.  But what they have realized in Sweden is that is it mainly just the elderly and infirm who die from catching it, so they are willing to make that sacrifice if it protects their economy, keeps their country open and allows their citizens (except those poor souls who die) to keep living more or less normally.

But how does any of that relate to this?

11 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

And based on the effectiveness of their Herd Immunity strategy, there might not be a Sweden.

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I was surprised at first to see so much COVID-19 talk in this thread.

But then I looked at the name.

Arvid Costmar

First two letters of surname: CO

Last three letters of given name: VID

COVID 

And then I remembered his draft year.

:blink:

COVID-19

9F1FF79F-BF05-4CB2-A16E-4C911188F912.gif.0b7a96a80f1f9fdcabd69e30a7d29497.gif

fresh off the boat mind blown GIF

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

And based on the effectiveness of their Herd Immunity strategy, there might not be a Sweden.

I think you missed his tongue-in-cheek response.  

It was meant to be a joke :)  

Not interested in discussing politics and blah blah blah... but anyways all good! 

On 3/14/2020 at 5:40 AM, canucklehead44 said:

Our 7th round picks are far out performing the 5 players we picked in rounds 4-6. Goes to show the value of getting more picks in the later rounds. From the first round -> second round there is a massive drop, and another significant drop again from the second round -> third round but after that it is basically a crap shoot.

If you add McDonough to the list of 10 NCAA players drafted in the top two rounds he ranks 6/11, which is impressive given a lot of those ahead of him were the top prospects in the draft (Turcotte, Caufield, Zegras, Newhook). The other player Pinto (32nd overall) has just one more point in two additional games played. 

That is not entirely true. Focht is a fifth round pick, a two way centre and is doing just fine. 

I know one thing, these low round picks are scouts picks. The scouts late round picks sorted out from a list of likely hundreds. When it came time to choose a player likely 3rd round of beyond no GM has the time to scout that many youngsters, so the scouts get the tip of the hat for the job they've done with late picks. Never mind their huge influence for the 1st and 2nd round selections. Vcr is very fortunate to grab diamonds in late round

On 9/5/2020 at 4:32 AM, Ray_Cathode said:

That is not entirely true. Focht is a fifth round pick, a two way centre and is doing just fine. 

His point production dropped after his draft year (although goals went up). He was already an over-ager so essentially he finished 4th in team scoring in his +2 year. Not saying he is a complete right off but has bottom 6 AHLer written all over him which is fine to have guys like that in the system. 

Costmar is a year younger and dominated the Swedish junior league.

Arvid is a late bloomer but his 50 points in 29 games is excellent.

For context: Anze Kopitar 49 in 30 (draft year)

Daniel Sedin 46 in 30 (career multiple seasons)

Henrik Sedin 47 in 34

Frans Nielsen 46 in 31

Carl Soderberg 48 in 27 draft year, 19 in 12 +1

William Nylander 50 in 38

Alex Steen 52 in 40

So in terms of production he has some good company! That said, most of these guys weren’t playing in that league in their +1 but the upside is intriguing.

Given the age of his production I don’t see Costmar making the NHL as a 50-60 point top 6 player. He has enough skill to be a bottom 6 guy if he can work on his penalty killing. At 5’11 181lbs he has a pretty good build for his age so 200lbs is doable if he transforms his game in that way. He is still a long shot but an intriguing prospect.

On 9/5/2020 at 8:56 AM, Provost said:

I genuinely hadn’t even remembered this guy being picked...

Have to wonder where Arvid would’ve gone in this year’s draft?

He was one of the youngest players drafted in 2019. Had his birthday fallen a little later in the year, he’d have been a first time eligible for 2020.

Compared to SuperElit U20 standouts from this year, like Zion Nybeck and Theodor Niederbach (who are both expected to go as early as rounds 1-2), Costmar actually owns the better numbers for their league, he was just ~2 months too old to be sitting alongside them as a 2020 (first time) eligible. 

EDIT: The whole “late birthday” thing is really interesting in drafting. Often, a huge deal is made over the “age advantage“ of just a few months. And other times, it seems to get ignored. Take Marco Rossi. Lots of people talk about him being 2001 born and turning 19 soon (there are other factors, but I see his age brought up repeatedly when discussing his production). But he’s only two weeks older than Lafreniere, and Rossi had more goals and more assists, and in what’s historically a tougher league, while only playing 4 more games than Lafreniere. And Rossi is a smaller player (strong and tough as nails, though) and he had to adjust from European to NA hockey. Lafreniere is awesome, but he’s also older and bigger than most of the other players in his draft. And it’s pretty much crickets when it comes to discussing any potential advantages he might have had because of this. I still think Lafreniere is #1, but I believe Rossi should be rated higher than many have him.

When it comes to Costmar, it’s kinda the reverse. He was very young and still pretty raw in areas, when he was drafted. It’s not crazy to think of him more like a 2020 eligible (instead of a 2019 pick), and give him some value boost based on the progress he’s made in 2019-20, and how his performance compares to the top prospects from his league who are true 2020 picks.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 2