The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arvid Costmar | C

On 9/7/2020 at 5:55 AM, canucklehead44 said:

Given the age of his production I don’t see Costmar making the NHL as a 50-60 point top 6 player. He has enough skill to be a bottom 6 guy if he can work on his penalty killing. At 5’11 181lbs he has a pretty good build for his age so 200lbs is doable if he transforms his game in that way. He is still a long shot but an intriguing prospect.

You dont know , your guessing he could be a 100 point top 6 guy come on. Until he laces up his skates for the Canucks and plays no one knows. He could be the next Henrik Zetterberg .

• Upvote 1

On 9/7/2020 at 5:55 AM, canucklehead44 said:

His point production dropped after his draft year (although goals went up). He was already an over-ager so essentially he finished 4th in team scoring in his +2 year. Not saying he is a complete right off but has bottom 6 AHLer written all over him which is fine to have guys like that in the system. 

Costmar is a year younger and dominated the Swedish junior league.

Arvid is a late bloomer but his 50 points in 29 games is excellent.

For context: Anze Kopitar 49 in 30 (draft year)

Daniel Sedin 46 in 30 (career multiple seasons)

Henrik Sedin 47 in 34

Frans Nielsen 46 in 31

Carl Soderberg 48 in 27 draft year, 19 in 12 +1

William Nylander 50 in 38

Alex Steen 52 in 40

So in terms of production he has some good company! That said, most of these guys weren’t playing in that league in their +1 but the upside is intriguing.

Given the age of his production I don’t see Costmar making the NHL as a 50-60 point top 6 player. He has enough skill to be a bottom 6 guy if he can work on his penalty killing. At 5’11 181lbs he has a pretty good build for his age so 200lbs is doable if he transforms his game in that way. He is still a long shot but an intriguing prospect.

Costmar just turned 19 in July, so there is plenty of time for physical and skill development. That said, nowadays smaller centres can thrive in the NHL, for instance Brayden Point at 5’10 168, and who says he can’t covert to a winger, of which there are plenty of undersized top six players in the NHL. Even Pettersson is still listed at under 180. Saying his skill is limited to bottom six at this point is  simply ridiculous. He may not develop further, but claiming that at this point is claiming a godlike omniscience.

• Upvote 2

Arvid Costmar

One of the 'under the radar' prospects in the organization, Costmar had a fantastic season in the Swedish junior leagues last year.

This year, he is looking to secure a full-time role with Linkoping in the SHL and force himself onto the Swedish World Juniors. He had was great in the friendlies that the U20 Swedish roster played in August, displaying a responsible two-way game.

Costmar is currently recovering from a suspected hand injury, but he is someone to keep an eye on this season. He may very well be a big part of Sweden's World Juniors team this December.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-prospects-update/c-319019982

• Vintage 1

On 9/12/2020 at 6:21 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Costmar just turned 19 in July, so there is plenty of time for physical and skill development. That said, nowadays smaller centres can thrive in the NHL, for instance Brayden Point at 5’10 168, and who says he can’t covert to a winger, of which there are plenty of undersized top six players in the NHL. Even Pettersson is still listed at under 180. Saying his skill is limited to bottom six at this point is  simply ridiculous. He may not develop further, but claiming that at this point is claiming a godlike omniscience.

Brayden Point was putting up top 10 numbers in his draft year though - his skating and size dropped him down (the former improved dramatically).

It is simply my opinion based on seeing trends from prospects over the years. His junior numbers are impressive and he has some skills on both ends of the ice. The numbers he put up do resemble some top NHLers it is just that he did it at an older age. Like how a lot of 19 year olds dominate in the CHL leagues when a late pick or un-drafted but are not nearly as touted as guys who do it in their draft year. 

Artem Manukyan dominated the KHL's junior league and has 6 goals in 93 KHL games. If Costmar is worth my attention but he is nowhere near as impressive as Jonathan Dahlen at this age. If Costmar starts putting up numbers in Allsvenskan next year that will be great but that is really the next hurdle. 

• 3 weeks later...

The good news: Costmar has recovered from his hand injury and today he made his 2020-21 SHL season debut. :) 

The bad news: He’s playing as Linkoping’s 13th forward and is only getting one shift per period. :( 

Of course, there’s nothing particularly unusual about a young player like Costmar getting the low minutes treatment at the elite level. Pretty much standard operating procedure for all the European leagues, especially early into the season, and Costmar will be forced to earn his icetime like every other young player (except for the phenom class). Hopefully he works hard and does enough to stay up and expand his role and icetime.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been watching a few bits of him and at this level of pick it’s a long shot, but I can see why we went with him over a D.

i think Benning likes to go NCAA with D to be able to assess their ability a few more years down the line rather than crapshoot at the draft outside of no brainier picks 

6 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Been watching a few bits of him and at this level of pick it’s a long shot, but I can see why we went with him over a D.

i think Benning likes to go NCAA with D to be able to assess their ability a few more years down the line rather than crapshoot at the draft outside of no brainier picks 

We picked Viktor Persson who's a dman in the 7th round this year.

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

We picked Viktor Persson who's a dman in the 7th round this year.

Yeah but according to Capfriendly, we have Viktor Persson's rights until June 2024 which is basically like picking a college kid. We also have Jacob Truscott's rights until 2024 too and he's a college kid.

It was a safe 7th round pick and we'll see if he turns into something. I hope he does. We could use more legit d prospects.

9 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Yeah but according to Capfriendly, we have Viktor Persson's rights until June 2024 which is basically like picking a college kid. We also have Jacob Truscott's rights until 2024 too and he's a college kid.

It was a safe 7th round pick and we'll see if he turns into something. I hope he does. We could use more legit d prospects.

The poster said Benning likes to go the NCAA route for D so he has more time to assess and I was just pointing out that we very recently went with a non NCAA pick for a dman. Yes he would like more time to assess, but that seems to apply for any picks because we retain their rights so I don't think Benning has a preference for NCAA for dmen, just whoever he believes are quality players.

• Cheers 1

Going to be interesting to see if he can crack Swedens WJC roster.  He had a real nice season last year, and has some upside.  Anytime we can find some potential in the 7th round it's a great outcome.  Costmar was the 3rd to last guy taken in 2019, and we also grabbed McDonaugh at 195.  Nice 7th round in 2019 so far.