The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Revised Depth Chart Post free Agency

Just thought, I would post the depth chart, and invite you to comment. I have some pretty strong views on this, but with Benning and Aqualini stating they are ready for the playoffs it changes somewhat, who is moved and who is kept.

LW - 15                                   C - 6                                   RW - 9

JT Miller                             Pettersson                              Boeser

Persson                               Horvat                                   Podkolzin

Baertschi                             Sutter                                    Virtanen

Roussel                              Gaudette                                Eriksson

Leivo                                   Beagle                                   McEwen

Motte                                   Madden                                 Lind

Granlund                                                                           Jasek

Goldobin                                                                            Lockwood

Schaller                                                                             Karlsson

Spooner

Hoglander                                                                           

Gadjovich

Perron

Boucher

Gaunce

REVISED DEPTH CHART ON PAGE TWO (2)

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

We can expect something to be done with LE. I hope we might send say Spooner and Schaller to say Ottawa, at the cost of a not too high pick. Are people assuming Sutter will be traded or has there been some indication from the club? We definitely need to clear out a few bodies. 

17 minutes ago, aliboy said:

We can expect something to be done with LE. I hope we might send say Spooner and Schaller to say Ottawa, at the cost of a not too high pick. Are people assuming Sutter will be traded or has there been some indication from the club? We definitely need to clear out a few bodies. 

If playoffs is the goal, I really can't see Sutter or Schaller being traded. 

I think Schaller and Spooner are sent to Utica, traded if possible or waived and bought out.  I think they retain Sutter until at least the deadline unless they get a screaming offer or package him for a RHD.  Gaudette starts in Utica to get some quality minutes if Sutter remains it may be good for him still  and  comes up when needed.  Leivo is RH and Goldobin can play RW and may need to.  I think we may see something like this if there are no trades or FA signings:

Miller - Pete - Boeser (Miller can also take draws)

Pearson - Bo - Goldy (man it would be good if Goldy gets it finally if not he needs to go and be replaced with an upgrade)

Sven - Sutter - Leivo

Roussel -  Beagle - Virtanen

Motte

Not ideal they need another top six winger preferably a RW.  A lot of mid six wingers - too many really and kind of interchangeable. 

Who knows haha

Edited by Borvat
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I think Schaller and Spooner are sent to Utica, traded if possible or waived and bought out. 

Keep in mind that Ottawa is sitting around $47M, have already said they aren't going to be active on the 1st, they have a few players to sign but the cap floor will be ~$60M. This means they might take on some short term contracts if we pay them with a low draft pick, so maybe Spooner, Schaller. It might be worth it to dump a couple contracts.

• Upvote 1

Baertschi* - Horvat - Pearson

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Spooner - Sutter* - Virtanen
Schaller - Beagle - Motte

Gaudette, Roussel (IR)

Eriksson?

Edler - Tanev*

Hutton - Stecher
Hughes - UFA

Biega 

Markstrom
Demko

Asterisks beside the perpetually injured. Could use a defenseman. Forwards are a little crowded, I didn't add Leivo, Granlund, or Goldy as they're all without contract. 

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just thought, I would post the depth chart, and invite you to comment. I have some pretty strong views on this, but with Benning and Aqualini stating they are ready for the playoffs it changes somewhat, who is moved and who is kept.

LW - 15                                   C - 6                                   RW - 9

JT Miller                             Pettersson                              Boeser

Persson                               Horvat                                   Podkolzin

Baertschi                             Sutter                                    Virtanen

Roussel                              Gaudette                                Eriksson

Leivo                                   Beagle                                   McEwen

Motte                                   Madden                                 Lind

Granlund                                                                           Jasek

Goldobin                                                                            Lockwood

Schaller                                                                             Karlsson

Spooner

Hoglander                                                                           

Gadjovich

Perron

Boucher

Gaunce

*Pearson, ya had me scratching my head over the Swedish name *Persson lol....( who dat? )

• Upvote 1

LW                                            C                                      RW 

Pearson                              Horvat                                   Virtanen

Baertschi                             Sutter                                    Gaudette

Beagle

Leivo, Motte, MacEwan, Schaller compete for the last 3 spots 

Spooner should check Utica AirBnB sooner than later

Goldy will be dealt 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

Spooner

Hoglander                                                                           

Gadjovich

Perron

Boucher

Gaunce

Center and RW looks pretty damn good going forward. We still need an ace on LW though. Perhaps we could package one of Miller or Pearson a year or two down the line for a younger upgrade. 

We gotta rid ourselves of some of the bottom 6 guys/borderline players on LW though. Depth is nice, but there are other areas that need addressing, specifically on the blueline. Unfortunately, nobody there outside of Miller and maybe Pearson hold much value.

I also wouldn't mind nabbing a veteran RW that can still play to slot in on Horvat's line until Podkolzin can make the jump. @hammertime brought up the idea of Pavelski and I think it's a good one, as long as he isn't asking for too much.

I'd say, without any further trades...except Eriksson, that I would expect the opening day line up to be:

Miller          Petersson          Boeser

Goldobin    Horvat                Pearson

Baer           Sutter                 Virtanen

Leivo          Beagle                McEwen

Granlund and Motte as 13/4th forwards

Again, Eriksson has got to go. He is now a poison, with those comments. If we can't get rid of him, then sit his a** in Utica until he rots.

Gaudette to Utica, likely to be the first recall, at every position. He might as well just get a long term hotel room; I doubt he'll be there very long. Same for Schaller.

Do I think this group can get us to the playoffs? Actually, yes. Do I think we get past the conference semis? Not without a bit of luck, and some sudden maturation by Virt, Boeser and Petersson (in other words, getting really close to their full potential).

Miller was a good acquisition. Yes, the price was more than a little bit high. But...in all honesty, how many 3rd round picks actually play meaningful minutes in the NHL? This trade was, realistically, a 1st for Miller, with some sweetener. Mazanec will never sniff the NHL in that organization. And if we are good enough for the playoffs this year, then that pick isn't honestly that high.

xJT Miller                             xPettersson                              xBoeser

xPearson                              xHorvat                                    Podkolzin

xBaertschi                           xBeagle                                     xVirtanen

xRoussel    injured              xGaudette                                1 Eriksson      cap floor trade/Utica

xLeivo                                   2 Sutter         trade                      McEwen       Utica

xMotte                                   Madden                                      Lind              Utica

3 Granlund      trade                                                                Jasek            Utica

4 Goldobin       trade                                                               Lockwood       Utica

5 Schaller          trade/Utica                                                      Karlsson          minors

6 Spooner          trade/Utica

Hoglander        minors                                                                   

Gadjovich       Utica

Perron            minors

Boucher         Utica

Gaunce          Utica

Wow we have 6 guys we have to trade  or move somehow. Underlined are ones we need to deal with. Sutter especially because he displaces a role player like Leivo or Motte. Those 6 have to be dealt with somehow, Draft day would have been the day no? We are overstocked on our bottom 6.

And what happens if Lind or MacEwen force their way onto the roster Hutton-style. Bolded are our starting roster of 14 players. Time for some dealing for JB I think.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

10 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Baertschi* - Horvat - Pearson

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Spooner - Sutter* - Virtanen
Schaller - Beagle - Motte

Gaudette, Roussel (IR)

Eriksson?

Edler - Tanev*

Hutton - Stecher
Hughes - UFA

Biega 

Markstrom
Demko

Asterisks beside the perpetually injured. Could use a defenseman. Forwards are a little crowded, I didn't add Leivo, Granlund, or Goldy as they're all without contract. 

You left an asterisk out on Edler...just kidding...kind of...played around 63% of the  games last five years, yep add an asterisk 

Edited by IBatch

Van needs to trade or buy out, or send to the minors at least 3 forwards. Eriksson gone, will not sign Motte Grandland and Goldy. And lets not forget Schenn, I believe he rounds out the 6 hole on Defence. (He is better than Guddy, and Biega,) So look towards a Tanev move and a free agent signing possible for D. Schaller gone, Lievo better on the 3ed or 4 th line.Even thinking that Hutton may be moved. Van needs to make a decision on Sutter, Gaudette coming into his own needs the ice time on the 3rd line.

13 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

xJT Miller                             xPettersson                              xBoeser

xPearson                              xHorvat                                    Podkolzin

xBaertschi                           xBeagle                                     xVirtanen

xRoussel                              xGaudette                                1 Eriksson      cap floor trade/Utica

xLeivo                                   2 Sutter         trade                      McEwen       Utica

xMotte                                   Madden                                      Lind              Utica

3 Granlund      trade                                                                Jasek            Utica

4 Goldobin       trade                                                               Lockwood       Utica

5 Schaller          trade/Utica                                                      Karlsson          minors

Hoglander        minors                                                                   

Gadjovich       Utica

Perron            minors

Boucher         Utica

Gaunce          Utica

Wow we have 6 guys we have to trade  or move somehow. Underlined are ones we need to deal with. Sutter especially because he displaces a role player like Leivo or Motte. Those 6 have to be dealt with somehow, Draft day would have been the day no? We are overstocked on our bottom 6.

And what happens if Lind or MacEwen force their way onto the roster Hutton-style. Bolded are our starting roster of 14 players. Time for some dealing for JB I think.

Granlund, goldobin and leivo are RFAs so they will likely walk.

I could see a possible buyout of Spooner or Schaller

Sutter will stay at least until the deadline

If there is room Motte should be resigned

Baertschi-petterson-boeser

Pearson-horvat-miller

Rousell-gaudette-virtanen

Eriksson-beagle-sutter

Motte

MacEwan

Schaller

Spooner

Top line left wing needs to be addressed, could be miller once podkolzin makes the jump but as is I like the look of the middle six here a lot. These two lines will be the difference makers in the playoffs

1 hour ago, Wanless said:

Granlund, goldobin and leivo are RFAs so they will likely walk.

I could see a possible buyout of Spooner or Schaller

Sutter will stay at least until the deadline

If there is room Motte should be resigned

Granny, Goldy and Lievo, that's a lot of assets losing for nothing. Keeping Ericsson? 

12 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Granny, Goldy and Lievo, that's a lot of assets losing for nothing. Keeping Ericsson? 

What I mean is that we don't have to worry about moving them. If they need to go that's very easy to accomplish. These players also don't improve the team by staying nor do they make it worse by leaving

Eriksson needs to go, but he is difficult.

Maybe him and Goldy too Ottawa works.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

xRoussel                              xGaudette                                1 Eriksson      cap floor trade/Utica

Hoglander        minors                                                                   

Gadjovich       Utica

Perron            minors

Boucher         Utica

Gaunce          Utica

Rou going to be ready in October?