Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

On 7/1/2019 at 6:39 AM, D.B Cooper said:

If true, that is a great signing.  

Great job JB. 

On 7/1/2019 at 6:56 AM, Mackcanuck said:
Nice job JB !

On 7/1/2019 at 7:34 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

That trade is gross. Future Starter Future Top 4 D and Top 9 22 yo forward for a 2nd liner and a 3rd? Not to mention all 3 of them have higher potential than what I stated them as? Dipietro could be a stud, Juolevi has top 2 potential and JV has top 6 potential.. Jeeeeeeez. No thanks.

On 7/1/2019 at 8:30 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Wow. DiPietro is coveted around the league and should not be tainted for the 7 goal performance at 19 yo against one of the best regular season teams of the last decade. If you think his value is tarnished at all, and that that is why you think the package nets Zucker and a 3rd, I just want to say that you're completely off-base. The goaltending position will never be redundant. Out of 31 teams, almost half of them are desperately searching for DiPietro's potential. Whether or not he will translate will only be discovered in due time, but to give up this quick would be absolutely foolish. DiPietro today nets us much more than Zucker in a package like that, and if he doesn't, we should not bite nor offer.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:14 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

People think Myers is getting overpaid at $6M a season for 5 years? Seriously?

On 7/1/2019 at 9:39 AM, DeNiro said:

Literally the lowest a player like him was gonna accept in free agency. 

You can not like the player all you want, but that is a good deal for him.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:50 AM, DeNiro said:

Smart contract.

Should be fairly easy to move if it ever comes to that.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:56 AM, VegasCanuck said:

6 Million Average for 5 years? Good deal JB!

We just got a little harder to play against with Myers and Benn, both at reasonable cap hits.

Burke said the other day, that if it was his decision and he had to commit to 7 x 7 for Myers, he would look hard at it and probably do it.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:01 AM, oldnews said:

I'm really surprised that Myers took all these terms

1) 6 million imo leaves potential frenzy money on the table.  That is a mere 500k uptick on his previous market value.

2) 5 years term - again, probably could have milked more out of his free agent leverage, particularly as arguably the best D available.

3) Also willing to be exposed in the expansion draft.  That part is a bit shocking considering 1 and 2.

It looks like he really wants to be here.

I'd love to know Green's thoughts on this signing - I think it's very unlikely that he doesn't approve - so it will be interesting to hear him comment on it.

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

:bigblush:

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I mean I'm still on it. Myers is under appreciated. Sure I wish he were cheeper. But I think just like we saw with Beagle it won't  be until he's gone that his value will be recognized. 

We ALL have these gems on almost every single signing.

Us long term lifers and our hopey optimism 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's not like guys who play his minutes grow on trees. We don't have another D who can take on the league's best fwds on a nightly basis. Yes he makes mistakes and when he does they are big and glaring. And this fan base crucifies him. But whenever he's out of the line up our goals against average goes up. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2019 at 1:11 AM, kanucks25 said:

What I know is that Myers has put up average at best traditional and advanced stats throughout his career and both Buffalo and Winnipeg fans have mixed opinions about him because although he has a tantalizing toolbox, his low IQ inhibits him from tapping into his potential. You see his size and skating ability for his size and you think he should be great but he simply isn't.

Show me anything that suggests otherwise. Wishful thinking doesn't count.

Looking at old posts and this is perfectly prescient in describing what the last 4 years of Myers have been. :goat:

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I mean, hindsight is 20/20 but I stand by the fact that Virtanen had top 6 potential, Juolevi top pairing, and DiPietro starting goalie potential. Boy did our development team really screw the pooch on all 3 of them. Although, I guess injuries was the main factor on Juolevi's drop. 

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I mean, hindsight is 20/20 but I stand by the fact that Virtanen had top 6 potential, Juolevi top pairing, and DiPietro starting goalie potential. Boy did our development team really screw the pooch on all 3 of them. Although, I guess injuries was the main factor on Juolevi's drop. 

JV was dumb. No hockey sense. 
OJ lacked character. No drive.

MD was mishandled for sure. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Sure that was 4 years ago, but I still don’t mind Myers.  
He is one of our only player who doesn’t play like a total kitten.  
He gets paid too much, but as a bottom pairing guy, you could do worse. 
it’s not his fault our team has refused to get any dmen good enough to push him down the lineup

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Same fanbase that was celebrating signing Loui Eriksson ... not surprised of the initial reaction. 

As I said some time ago, Canucks fanbase like to be in denial of reality sometimes. And this had overpayment written all over it from the get go.

Edited by iinatcc

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing Myers on the IIHF Mens made me realize he can still live out his contract at 6 mil, which is over this coming season. I didnt see OEL try to convince us. However a buyout on OEL would hit us for 8 years. Im thinking put OEL on a line with Hughes and Myers with Bear and let them play out their contracts. Mitigate the risks. start balancing the cap looking at 5 years from now, when we can afford to pay Bedard what his team cannot give him

On 5/13/2023 at 10:17 PM, Alflives said:

Most guys can’t go back into the same room for a big drop in pay. They can go to a new room but it’s not so easy to go back to where they were a higher paid player. It’s an ego thing. And these guys are all ego driven. 

Hey what about LUKE SCHENN going back to Toronto when he made 4.5 million per year before. Now I bet he comes back to vancouver in off season for around 1.1. or at least I hope he does/

• 3 months later...