The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

How is two guys that are 6’8” a problem exactly.  They move pretty well for their size.  Add in Woo on that side and we have made up for a little lack of size up front.  Tryamkin can play either side as well which is really useful.

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tryamkin

Juolevi-Woo

Stecher

That isn’t bad at the start of the 2020 season.  Maybe be forward thinking and rotate seven NHL calibre guys through (when healthy) to keep them rested and prevent injuries.

In a couple of years, That could be one deadly D core.

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I worry about a situation popping up where a legit top pairing Dman becomes available in a trade, and we're in a position to make that deal, but we're capped out because of this contract. 

Well the position got screwed yesterday when we locked up both 1st round picks in the Miller trade for the next two years

• Wat 2

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I worry about a situation popping up where a legit top pairing Dman becomes available in a trade, and we're in a position to make that deal, but we're capped out because of this contract. 

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

Good point. Myers is more a shut down guy than a offensive guy. Really, a good replacement for Tanev. 

I agree. I see us moving Tanev imo. We probably start the year with:

Edler Myers

Hutton Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Juolevi

Biega

Someone has mentioned the team plans on having Hughes start on the third pair. Tanev would be great with him in limited minutes. Chris might not actually get hurt playing with a Q partner who can break the puck out.

Hughes is as good if not better then Morgan Reilly who Tanev excelled with. We probably then flip Tanev at max value and try to sign Barrie or extend tanman if he stays 100% healthy.

1 minute ago, mpt said:

Well the position got screwed yesterday when we locked up both 1st round picks in the Miller trade for the next two years

We can offer the other first as a condition if we really wanted too. I don't like the idea of moving the next 2 years tho. Unless we plan on acquiring more firsts or seconds. 

Which is still feasible.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

Good point. Myers is more a shut down guy than a offensive guy. Really, a good replacement for Tanev. 

And a guy who can take some hard mins from Eddie and, hopefully, improve his durability.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Rush17 said:

I agree. I see us moving Tanev imo. We probably start the year with:

Edler Myers

Hutton Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Juolevi

Biega

Someone has mentioned the team plans on having Hughes start on the third pair. Tanev would be great with him in limited minutes. Chris might not actually get hurt playing with a Q partner who can break the puck out.

Hughes is as good if not better then Morgan Reilly who Tanev excelled with. We probably then flip Tanev at max value and try to sign Barrie or extend tanman if he stays 100% healthy.

If we sign Myers I would love to see Tanev traded to recoup the first pick we traded. Remains to be seen if Tanev is worth a first though. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, mpt said:

No guarantees Tryamkin is coming back.  Supposedly he didn’t really like the NHL, didn’t understand why when you through a clean hit, you have to fight.  I somewhat agree

I'm confident Tryamkin will come back. But the big question to me is will he stay? If he's back on a 2 year deal my ideal goal. Does he stay after that terms up? I'm not sold he will at this stage.

1 minute ago, mpt said:

We still have a first rd pick coming in the ext two years, we still have both 2nds, someone like Pearson could become redundant if Miller pans out and Hoglander lights up the SHL and comes over next year. Drafting Podkolzin makes Virtanen more of a trade chip. Juolevi is still a potential trade chip.

It's not like we don't have options if something comes up for the right guy.

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

I'm confident Tryamkin will come back. But the big question to me is will he stay? If he's back on a 2 year deal my ideal goal. Does he stay after that terms up? I'm not sold he will at this stage.

Can't be consumed with "what-ifs".  Such thinking is what stagnates you and keeps you from improving and moving forward.  There are risks in EVERYTHING and every move.

This week is where things will shake out, as we saw with the Risto tweet.  July 1st is fast-approaching, so teams will get their players out in the market sooner than later, before the opportunity/money/capspace dries up.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I am a touch concerned with his speed. Barrie as you say would be a far better fit imo. Perhaps we go after Barrie next summer after adding Myers now?

If Eriksson doesn't report and we buy him out maybe we would have the cap space lol. Myers only would cost like a 1M more on the cap likely then Eriksson currently does.

Loui is not going to report.  His contract will get terminated.  JB has an extra six million in cap space. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Loui is not going to report.  His contract will get terminated.  JB has an extra six million in cap space. 

I'll be estatic if that happens. I'm not hanging my hat on that until it happens tho. Someone mentioned if he no shows and his contract is terminated he can't re-sign in the nhl.

Is this truth or myth? If he can sign elsewhere I see it could happen but I don't think he's ready to walk from the NHL if it were true. 

I don't know what the rule is on it. Anyone know???

48 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

That would be "okay" if we get him nearer the bottom of that scale, but it'll come down to how much competition there is out there for him.  With the cap coming in low and many teams needing to shed salary, hopefully there aren't a lot of suitors nor those eager to overpay. 

And remember, at 6-7 years he will be 36-37 before the contract expires.  Yes, we could well be looking at 2+ years of a dog contract.

7 mil is pretty steep I think and would be the upper limit of what I would want to see us sign him for.  4 years at 6-7 mil would be ideal and not require to protect him in the draft, unlikely that happens though.  

I was just gauging how the fanbase would feel at those terms of 7mil for 6 years.

There is always some GM willing to overpay so I don't have high hopes during free agency.

Edited by Kosmo Kramer

3 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Just curious: do people think he's a top 2 or top 4 D-man? Why and why not?

I think he's a 3 or weak 2 personally. But he could easily play top pairing minutes for a long time if he has a legit #1.

Quinn Hughes looks like a legit #1. Edler is a solid #2 ATM. Maybe his play starts to decline this year but he's in great shape still.

I think Myers is sold on the fact he can be Hughes partner if he signs here long term. Myers is essentially a bigger and better version of Luke Schenn. 

I don't think Schenn has recieved an offer from Vancouver yet because they believe Myers could sign here and be his replacement. A significant one at that.

That's just my 2 cents tho. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I'll be estatic if that happens. I'm not hanging my hat on that until it happens tho. Someone mentioned if he no shows and his contract is terminated he can't re-sign in the nhl.

Is this truth or myth? If he can sign elsewhere I see it could happen but I don't think he's ready to walk from the NHL if it were true. 

I don't know what the rule is on it. Anyone know???

Mutually terminated, or unilaterally terminated, Loui can’t sign for the remainder of term.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

I think he's a 3 or weak 2 personally. But he could easily play top pairing minutes for a long time if he has a legit #1.

Quinn Hughes looks like a legit #1. Edler is a solid #2 ATM. Maybe his play starts to decline this year but he's in great shape still.

I think Myers is sold on the fact he can be Hughes partner if he signs here long term. Myers is essentially a bigger and better version of Luke Schenn. 

I don't think Schenn has recieved an offer from Vancouver yet because they believe Myers could sign here and be his replacement. A significant one at that.

That's just my 2 cents tho. 

Watched the interview video you posted.  Meyers is not just tall, but he’s a heavy body too.  He looks solid.