The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Loui is not going to report.  His contract will get terminated.  JB has an extra six million in cap space. 

No matter how bad a situation might be. I can't picture a scenario where a player doesn't report for his 6 million.

I would be shocked. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I think he's a 3 or weak 2 personally. But he could easily play top pairing minutes for a long time if he has a legit #1.

Quinn Hughes looks like a legit #1. Edler is a solid #2 ATM. Maybe his play starts to decline this year but he's in great shape still.

I think Myers is sold on the fact he can be Hughes partner if he signs here long term. Myers is essentially a bigger and better version of Luke Schenn. 

I don't think Schenn has recieved an offer from Vancouver yet because they believe Myers could sign here and be his replacement. A significant one at that.

That's just my 2 cents tho. 

Hughes #1 (in future)

Myers #3 (maybe low 2)

Edler #2 (maybe regresses to a 3)

Tanev #4 (maybe improves to a 3 if healthy)

Stecher #5 (a good 5)

Just now, Kosmo Kramer said:

No matter how bad a situation might be. I can't picture a scenario where a player doesn't report for his 6 million.

I would be shocked. 

He gets paid the big bucks on July 1. Then the rest of the contract is low $$. His deal was rather front loaded.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Mutually terminated, or unilaterally terminated, Loui can’t sign for the remainder of term.

Do you really see Loui running off to Sweden? His family is apparently back in Dallas.

His NHL career would be over if he left for Sweden. I don't see him coming back at 36 or whenever his deal was set to expire.

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Hughes #1 (in future)

Myers #3 (maybe low 2)

Edler #2 (maybe regresses to a 3)

Tanev #4 (maybe improves to a 3 if healthy)

Stecher #5 (a good 5)

Depends on what you consider a #1.  Hughes will never be a defensive dman who plays big mins against the other teams best players........to me, that's a #1 dman.  He'll be a 3-4 guy at even strength and the pp qb.

5 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

I would be shocked. 

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

Do you really see Loui running off to Sweden? His family is apparently back in Dallas.

His NHL career would be over if he left for Sweden. I don't see him coming back at 36 or whenever his deal was set to expire.

His NHL career is over.  He can’t keep up, his hands are gone, and he’s weaker now.  He can collect the remainder of his contract, but it will be playing in Utica.  I’m sure he’s a proud guy.  He will not do that.  Contract terminated.  

6 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

I would be shocked. 

The prospect of riding the bus in Utica, a thousand miles away from your wife and four young kids for three years without even getting playing time there sounds like a pretty good reason to bail.

19 minutes ago, rekker said:

I did some work for him as well. Great guy. 

A key factor -- is he the right fit character-wise, the kind of guy the Canucks want on their team.  Considering Benning was hot on his trail at his first draft in 2014, it seems he knew already back then.  The fact he's a RHS should also make him preferable over Gardiner.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Provost said:

How is two guys that are 6’8” a problem exactly.  They move pretty well for their size.  Add in Woo on that side and we have made up for a little lack of size up front.  Tryamkin can play either side as well which is really useful.

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tryamkin

Juolevi-Woo

Stecher

That isn’t bad at the start of the 2020 season.  Maybe be forward thinking and rotate seven NHL calibre guys through (when healthy) to keep them rested and prevent injuries.

25 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

In a couple of years, That could be one deadly D core.

I agree that would be a deadly core in 2020 but not 2 years down the road. I doubt that Edler would be a top pair dman at age 35 and with his injury record. He would slot in better on the second pairing. By then Hughes and Myers would be the top pair.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

That would be "okay" if we get him nearer the bottom of that scale, but it'll come down to how much competition there is out there for him.  With the cap coming in low and many teams needing to shed salary, hopefully there aren't a lot of suitors nor those eager to overpay. 

And remember, at 6-7 years he will be 36-37 before the contract expires.  Yes, Arizona could well be looking at 2+ years of a dog contract.

Fixed for accuracy

• Cheers 1

I'd love to sign Myers. There are a lot of teams looking at him so the only way to get him is via some term and $'s. It may be a contract similar to LE's which I am ok for on Myers as he is only 29. At the end of the term he would be around 35 which is ok for me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I like Myers but damn there may be two more rightys next year hitting UFA. Barrie and Larsson. Would rather have either of them over Myers to be honest. 

sure but its impossible to play that game, these days so few good players actually make it to free agency, particularly d, that I can see this being a real push Jim makes. They have history, and Jim's clearly in an all-in kinda mood :P

My preference would be to get Stralman on an Edler type deal (2 years with a slight overpayment sweetener) but we need something, and if its Zaitsav at 5 vs Myers at 6.5 thats a no-brainer. 

I would be surprised to see Myers go back to the 'peg, at least under their current coach. Green will be at the meetings and my guess is they will be talking about a much bigger role for him and thats going to be appealing. 

Hard to say how much of a chance we really have but we do have one. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

His NHL career is over.  He can’t keep up, his hands are gone, and he’s weaker now.  He can collect the remainder of his contract, but it will be playing in Utica.  I’m sure he’s a proud guy.  He will not do that.  Contract terminated.  

Not in Utica. Maybe another AHL team but definitely not in Utica. Don't want him poisoning the young guys on the farm...like Gagner sent to Toronto Marlies to keep him away from the farm team...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure but its impossible to play that game, these days so few good players actually make it to free agency, particularly d, that I can see this being a real push Jim makes. They have history, and Jim's clearly in an all-in kinda mood :P

My preference would be to get Stralman on an Edler type deal (2 years with a slight overpayment sweetener) but we need something, and if its Zaitsav at 5 vs Myers at 6.5 thats a no-brainer. 

I would be surprised to see Myers go back to the 'peg, at least under their current coach. Green will be at the meetings and my guess is they will be talking about a much bigger role for him and thats going to be appealing. 

Hard to say how much of a chance we really have but we do have one. 

I think good chance Myers signs here. I really like Larsson but 100 percent like you said they aren't UFA'S till there UFA'S. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I'd love to sign Myers. There are a lot of teams looking at him so the only way to get him is via some term and $'s. It may be a contract similar to LE's which I am ok for on Myers as he is only 29. At the end of the term he would be around 35 which is ok for me.

Myers’ wife is from Kelowna.  Maybe it’s a family decision to be closer to home? 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Don't think their camp can in any way argue he's a top-pairing guy, so salary should be in that second-pairing range.  They may ask for 7+ but not sure he gets that, save for a bidding war.  There's always the intangible factors as well, like where a player wants to play and if he'll play for less for such aspects.  He's American, but has there been any word on if he has preferences, whether places, contenders, etc?

80 and 82 games the past two seasons.  That alone is a significant upgrade.

Isn't he Canadian?? I'm sure he played for Team Canada this WHC.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Myers’ wife is from Kelowna.  Maybe it’s a family decision to be closer to home? 

thats an interesting wrinkle. 

Looking at other teams this morning, I like our chances of improving. Calgary doesn't actually have a starting goalie under contract at the moment :lol: fun times. 

Dunno, I love this time of year, so many possibilities (even with the epic whining going on). 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2