The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't think Benning wants to re-sign him even at his current salary.  If he can get Nemeth as a 3rd pairing guy at under $2.5 million then Benning may go that route instead as Nemeth plays a heavier game and is better on the 3rd pairing, plus the Swedish connection.

You may be right - and you can add a handful of other options in addition to Nemeth.

19 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Benning couldn,t re-up Hutton at $4 mil so releasing him was inevitable. With Edler re-signed Hutton was the 2LD going into the fall. Fans suggesting Joulevi is knocking might be a reality but just as easily in December as October. Cutting Hutton on that basis is ultra risky. He still might re-sign which is preferred and then trade him if the rookies push him. A gutsy play by Hutton is signing a 1 year deal with another club at $4 mil so he can prove himself. IMHO Hutton still has upside. 

So I am curious as to this "upside" you speak of. So is he going to learn how to skate faster or pass out of his zone better? Is he going to work on getting a killer slap shot to help on the PP? or how about a devotion to make less mistakes  and to work on that -75? Maybe he is going to develop a mean streak and all of sudden going to start fighting and hitting anything that moves? Is his vision of the ice not fully developed yet?

Fill us in on this "upside" that you foresee coming would you?::D

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

This scenario had to have been seen from trade deadline last season. I can’t understand why Benning wouldn’t try to move Hutton then for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. A 2.5 mill dman who seemed capable of 20 minutes in the NHL a night had to have some value at trade deadline last year. It’s really an aspect this management group has failed in over the years.

11 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

This scenario had to have been seen from trade deadline last season. I can’t understand why Benning wouldn’t try to move Hutton then for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. A 2.5 mill dman who seemed capable of 20 minutes in the NHL a night had to have some value at trade deadline last year. It’s really an aspect this management group has failed in over the years.

I believe it was mentioned on these boards before that Hutton was being shopped around by the Canucks but............................Nobody wanted him.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, bassetgreg said:

You would think that since Del Zotto was traded to St louis for a 6th round pick...we could have got a 4th or a 5th for Hutton. I am not a fan of Benning. He should be a head scout rather than a GM

Sutton has arbitration rights, and will (likely) get 4 million.  That's too much for him. 

6 minutes ago, bassetgreg said:

St Louis gave a 6th rounder for Del Zotto who is now a free agent. A good GM could have got a late pick from a playoff contender for Hutton. Hutton is better than Del Zotto

Maybe the guy doesn’t want to loose him. Just doesn’t want to pay him 4 mil. He qualifies Ben the pitch forks come out. He doesn’t and try’s to get him signed cheaper and loses him to Free Agency the pitch forks come out. Happens all over the league. Canucks fans and Van media just love to feast on these kind things 

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, bassetgreg said:

You would think that since Del Zotto was traded to St louis for a 6th round pick...we could have got a 4th or a 5th for Hutton. I am not a fan of Benning. He should be a head scout rather than a GM

Teams have to want what’s being offered. Can’t force a player on a team. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I give u maybe 5 or 6 of the 10 you are talking about including kucherov.. most of them is at around 100 games played since drafted.. hardly considered an nhl regular. And you are comparing 08-13 on Tampa bay who's competing for lottery pick year after year to a team competing for the cup. With all the prospect available I'm sure they can afford to pick some player off the board. I think it's more fair if you compare teams drafting period when they were at the top of their league. Vs comparing drafting of team that's tanking. Coz if that's the case Benning drafting vs Tampa bay drafting from 08-13 vs 15-19 Tampa bay is way better 

I didn't include any of their top six picks, so competing for a cup vs not doesn't really matter. 

Here's the 10:

1) Erne - currently plays on their 3rd line

2) Koekkoek - depth dman

3) Vasilevsky - #1 goalie

4) Pacquette - current NHL bottom six center

5) Namestnikov - current NHL middle six forward

6) Kucherov - MVP candidate

7) Palat - top 6 forward

8) Gudas - Current NHL defenseman

9) Panik - current NHL middle six forward

10) Barberio - 7th dman in NHL for Colorado

I'll give you Barberio and Koekkoek on 2nd look. Brings it to 8 regulars (and some high profile ones at that).

Top six picks not included: Drouin, Stamkos, Hedman, Connolly.

For a bottom feeding team, they only had 8 picks in the first two rounds over those 5 years (other than the top six picks we aren't including). Vancouver had 9 in similar positions as well. 

They just drafted better.

20 minutes ago, bassetgreg said:

St Louis gave a 6th rounder for Del Zotto who is now a free agent. A good GM could have got a late pick from a playoff contender for Hutton. Hutton is better than Del Zotto

Trade deadline market is different than the offseason market. We weren't in a position to trade Hutton at the deadline as he was logging 25-30 mins a night for us at that point. Not because he's that good, but he was the best we had at the time.

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Don't hold your breathe but Jim is trying.

I'm sure the Canucks would love to get something for him, but can they really?  Who's going to take on a guy who could well cost $4mil in arbitration when he has yet to show he's worth that?  Word was that the Canucks have shopped him for quite some time now.  If we get a mid-round pick, I think we'd take it and run.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I'm sure the Canucks would love to get something for him, but can they really?  Who's going to take on a guy who could well cost $4mil in arbitration when he has yet to show he's worth that?  Word was that the Canucks have shopped him for quite some time now.  If we get a mid-round pick, I think we'd take it and run.

If we got a 4th I'd be running in the streets lol

I'm hoping we can swing a deal with the Capitals to land burky. They qualified him this morning. A deal around Hutton + Goldobin for burky + 2nd would be fantastic.

Orpik just retired so they could use a minute munching D and burkys salary will probably be in the 3.5-4m range. Kind of a wash salary wise.

Edited by Rush17

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

You are making the cardinal mistake that most of us tend to make in hindsight. 

You are assuming any combination of three things....

1) Benning didnt try to trade him. 

2) Benning wanted to trade him at a point where the canucks still had a chance to make the playoffs, with an already depleted blueline missing its top two defensemen. 

3) Other GMs were willing to give something of real value for Hutton to make #2, palatable so to speak, to offset the chance that throwing rookies into the nhl would be worth it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2