The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

True, offer sheets don't really happen anymore, but what if another team offers Boeser $9 x 7? I'm not sure the Canucks match that. 

I think two things are strongly preventing this (thankfully!). 

1. The cap. I think teams are seeing others have to give away substantial pick/prospect capital to get rid of tough contracts and are going to be very cautious.

2. The RFA crop. If you are going to give that to Boeser, there may be 5 better forwards that you could make the same/similar offer to. 

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

True, offer sheets don't really happen anymore, but what if another team offers Boeser $9 x 7? I'm not sure the Canucks match that. 

As much as I like boeser and I do,  I MIGHT just take 2 1sts 2nd and a 3rd

Edited by CrippledCanuck
Sp

8 minutes ago, CrippledCanuck said:

As much as I like boeser and I do,  I MIGHT just take 2 1sts 2nd and a 3rd

Might be an interesting problem.. I guess it depends which team signs him.  If its a cup competitor then the firsts will be late round picks.  If its Edmonton, then take the picks and run, you know they have a few more first overalls in them.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

how so? you think paying Ben 4.3 mil is "good" asset management? 

no should have tried to trade him earlier and receive a pick. No GM is trading for a player that can become a ufa at 2pm on June 25th

1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

no should have tried to trade him earlier and receive a pick. No GM is trading for a player that can become a ufa at 2pm on June 25th

Quite likely none were trading for him 'earlier' than that either.

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Four 1st rounders... I take that any day of the week.

Value is only divided by 5 years.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Quite likely none were trading for him 'earlier' than that either.

I agree, wasn't like he was a sought after commodity at the trade deadline.  He was overpaid as it was.  Most playoff teams probably had equivalent players in their minor league systems instead of trading a 6th or 7th for Hutton.

Edited by amplified0ne
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Could have got a pick for him at the last trade deadline for sure.

A $2.8m, 5th D with zero playoff experience is getting snatched up at the TDL.... maybe. Pretty big assumption IMO. Never mind that with injuries he was kind of needed here simply to ice a team.

#context.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

A $2.8m, 5th D with zero playoff experience is getting snatched up at the TDL.... maybe. Pretty big assumption IMO. Never mind that with injuries he was kind of needed here simply to ice a team.

#context.

Beaulieu is very comparable and got a sixth rounder at the deadline because Buffalo knew they werent going to qualify him

The Canucks did not qualify him because if he went to arbitration he could be awarded a salary $3m+ based upon comparables given his points and ice time.  This would have been a huge overpayment.  Better to let him go to UFA and try to resign him for $1.5m or if not, there are plenty of 3rd pairing dmen that will cost you less than $1.5m.