The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

1 minute ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

I agree that Hutton isn't worth 4+ over a multi year deal, but a 1x4 wouldn't hurt unless we plan on taking in more cap in a Panarin or cap dump. It's still an over payment, but at least it's manageable and he could be flipped later

I would rather just get a ufa big mean guy to take his place....guess that is why they talked or are interested in Nemeth.  6'4" 218 and mean.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I would rather just get a ufa big mean guy to take his place....guess that is why they talked or are interested in Nemeth.  6'4" 218 and mean.

Hutton was mean.....one time anyway......imagine if he played more shifts like this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Guy's a beauty, but didn't play up to his contract.

Showed so much promise in that rookie year but hasn't managed to take the next step. It's too bad.

Good luck Smiley Ben

You are right , he does things OK just could never get to doing things great. A nice guy just too bad nice guys can't win you championships. I wish him all the best.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

And another asset lost for nothing, awesome!

Nothing says he'll be lost for nothing, no QO means he's not worth the qualifying dollars @ $4m   

Bottom pairing dman isn't really an asset to lose sleep over.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Biega averaged 20 minutes a night over the last 20 games of the season.

That does not make him a top 4 blueliner in free agency.

Hutton should be careful what he wishes for - first, I think he might be unhappily surprised what he commands on an open market with a lot of viable upgrades over him available - and second, minutes alone, particularly if you try to sell those minutes out of context, are a weak way to try to fluff your value.

He just spent a couple years at 2.8 million getting overpaid for the quality of his performance on the ice.

Whether he likes it or not, he's still at a 'show me' stage.

I'd like to see him back - in the range of his expriing contract - I think that might actually be generous - but if he thinks he deserves over 4 million, I think some other team is welcome to take that chance on him - he might  prove worth it, but I'd rather sign a veteran placholder for less, who brings a bit more heaviness to his game that Hutton's spotty aggressiveness, and let that veteran bridge to Juolevi. 

4 miillion with any term at all to Hutton makes very little sense to the Canucks imo.

• Cheers 2

I say give Brisebois and Sautner a chance to take his place.  They cost 1/4 of what he does and can likely do as much.  We just don't need Hutton at 4mill+.  I like him more than most, but we don't need him.  We clearly need a top 4 RHD by we don't need Hutton. 

Edler Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Sautner Biega

Brisebois Rafferty

Juolevi(if he is recovered?)

incoming

Meyers/Gardner

Tryamkin

Woo

Rathbone

• Upvote 2