The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

46 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Do you have proposals/preferences there?   Moving Tanev for?   Because a deal like some of the Gusev proposals don't tend to deal with the reality of having to spend Tanev's cap on signing him.  It might leave enough to re-sign a Hutton, but I'd argue that if the Hutton of the past few years is the 'expected' Hutton that we'd get next year, ,that would be a considerable downgrade (not ripping Hutton, just realistically relative to what Tanev brings, whether or not he's injured at times).

Nope. Nothing specific. Winnipeg sure could use some D :lol:

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nope. Nothing specific. Winnipeg sure could use some D :lol:

Maybe a BHut, or Sbisa - or Engelland?

Kronwall, McQuaid, Lovejoy, Girardi....

It's interesting that they haven't signed anyone (Bitetto aside), but they do have Laine, Connor, Pionk and Copp to sign (with 20ish million)... they do have Niku - and maybe Stanley on the way.   I think Pionk is pretty good, but they probably need at least one other experienced D....

Trouba, Myers, Chiarot seems like some big skates to fill though.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Maybe a BHut, or Sbisa - or Engelland?

Kronwall, McQuaid, Lovejoy, Girardi....

It's interesting that they haven't signed anyone (Bitetto aside), but they do have Laine, Connor, Pionk and Copp to sign (with 20ish million)... they do have Niku - and maybe Stanley on the way.   I think Pionk is pretty good, but they probably need at least one other experienced D....

Trouba, Myers, Chiarot seems like some big skates to fill though.

If we're talking WPG, Ehlers for Ristolainen, then sign/trade for a couple decent defensive vets (Tanev)?

Edited by aGENT

6 hours ago, tas said:

ehhh ... https://puckpedia.com/agent/andrew-scott

a less than stellar client list, but I assume he's relatively new based on those names and you have to start somewhere. 

that said, I agree with what you're saying, but there are obviously always exceptions. things are better now than they used to be, but look at how many former players end up falling on hard times later in life. it's why the nhl has their players emergency assistance fund.

and where was jack johnson's sage advice when he so clearly needed it?

but I digress. 

He is one agent in a larger agency that has 80+ NHL players, so a pretty solid agency that would have lots of support or would hope.

There are definitely exceptions.  You hear older stories about how guys forgot to cash their cheques and were just living off their per diems.  Someone would literally walk in and find a stack of cheques for $100k on a dresser.

9 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

He's a 3rd pairing D, but he isn't a solid one, especially on a deep lineup.

Definitely not in a deep lineup.... but many teams ice a terrible 3rd pairing.

Hutton is a regular on probably a 3rd of the rosters in the league.  Heck, he could still be on our bottom pairing before the season starts if we traded Tanev and moved Benn to the left side.

For perspective, Benn is an upgrade and he cost just $2 million 

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

Can't believe the two best defensemen on the UFA market - Gardiner and Hutton  - are still unsigned.

NHL GMs not listening to the 'armies'?

I guess that's what makes them GMs, and the hero chart guys army-chairGMs.

They're still sorting through all the offers thrown their way and managing the bidding wars. No one wanted Myers which is why he signed so quickly and Benning was desperate and threw the bank at him despite no demand. Oh and Benning sucks. Sounds about right?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wat 2

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

They're still sorting through all the offers thrown their way and managing the bidding wars. No one wanted Myers which is why he signed so quickly and Benning was desperate and threw the bank at him despite no demand. Oh and Benning sucks. Sounds about right?

Clearly. I mean when you only get one offer (and a clear over payment at that) instead of two from each of the 31 teams (a second, higher offer after you hadn't yet responded), there's a lot less to dither over :lol:

Am I TMZ 1040'ing right?!

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Provost said:

Definitely not in a deep lineup.... but many teams ice a terrible 3rd pairing.

Hutton is a regular on probably a 3rd of the rosters in the league.  Heck, he could still be on our bottom pairing before the season starts if we traded Tanev and moved Benn to the left side.

For perspective, Benn is an upgrade and he cost just $2 million 

Yeah he could find himself in a 6/7 role with a team, but they'd probably want a 2 way contract on him, and that's probably why he hasn't signed yet he wants a 1 way. Imo Huttons biggest flaw for the past years have been just learning how to play D in his own end, he was so offensively minded coming into the league that he was a defensive liability. Now last year I gave him credit I didn't think he would of ever learn how to play better D but he actually improved in that area which was good to see, but it's still a work in progress, he would be good 1 game and then next game he looked like a lost puppy again. I'm definitely more happy to have Benn instead of Hutton, but at this point only way I'd take Hutton back if it was on a 2 way contract.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

On 7/5/2019 at 12:24 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah he could find himself in a 6/7 role with a team, but they'd probably want a 2 way contract on him, and that's probably why he hasn't signed yet he wants a 1 way. Imo Huttons biggest flaw for the past years have been just learning how to play D in his own end, he was so offensively minded coming into the league that he was a defensive liability. Now last year I gave him credit I didn't think he would of ever learn how to play better D but he actually improved in that area which was good to see, but it's still a work in progress, he would be good 1 game and then next game he looked like a lost puppy again. I'm definitely more happy to have Benn instead of Hutton, but at this point only way I'd take Hutton back if it was on a 2 way contract.

I doubt Hutton has to sign a 2 way. His play was as much to do with Canuck need at that time as anything else. Reflect on how offensively challenged they were at that time. Hutton’s development was hardly a Detroit model effort. I am hoping he is the last such effort. IMHO Hutton can play a 4/5 role on most NHL teams. He cannot regress from how he ended the season with that assessment.

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I doubt Hutton has to sign a 2 way. His play was as much to do with Canuck need at that time as anything else. Reflect on how offensively challenged they were at that time. Hutton’s development was hardly a Detroit model effort. I am hoping he is the last such effort. IMHO Hutton can play a 4/5 role on most NHL teams. He cannot regress from how he ended the season with that assessment.

Maybe on a developing team, but he’s a number 7 on a good team. 

His decision making has been shocking over the last two years.  His only saving grace has been his effort that’s always there and the fact that Pouliot was on the team. 

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Remember there being fans that were concerned that we were letting him walk for free?

Almost 3 weeks in and no one has signed him.

Maybe he's just going to show up in camp and hope for the best???

I believe he is already classified as a UFA as he wasn't qualified. Unless you mean he comes in on a PTO. 

On 7/4/2019 at 10:59 PM, oldnews said:

Can't believe the two best defensemen on the UFA market - Gardiner and Hutton  - are still unsigned.

NHL GMs not listening to the 'armies'?

I guess that's what makes them GMs, and the hero chart guys army-chairGMs.

I feel kinda bad for Hutty, he's a nice kid. But that QO.... he might as well wait and see what happens with any more trades, etc. before signing that 750k offer thats waiting out there for him. GMs are going to be ruthless with him I think. 

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yes, PTO, was already aware of UFA status. ;)

I would be quite surprised if he has to resort to a PTO. Has to be a team out there willing to offer him 1 year @ 750K-1M. 

13 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I would be quite surprised if he has to resort to a PTO. Has to be a team out there willing to offer him 1 year @ 750K-1M. 

I think he will sign around 2 - 2.5 million, well below what he might have been awarded in arbitration. 

Smart move by JB

• Upvote 1