The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

6 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Was never a fan.

Once Goldy is gone, I pretty much have everything I wanted for the roster. 

nice. 

Yeah its going to be fun to (hopefully) see a tough team to play against. I want teams to be scared of coming to Rogers again. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

nice. 

Yeah its going to be fun to (hopefully) see a tough team to play against. I want teams to be scared of coming to Rogers again. 

I think once LE is gone, the days of us being called a " gentlemanly" team will be finally over.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Was never a fan.

Once Goldy is gone, I pretty much have everything I wanted for the roster. 

I’d like to see Goldy have one more camp and another 20 games so see if he’s finally “got it”

he’s got a lot of skill and said the right things at the end of the season. If it’s hit home that his chances here are ending and he’s got maybe one shot left in the NHL he may come back a different player. 

I’m not a huge fan but I think they need to make sure they aren’t moving him when he’s finally learned, and could be a very valuable piece 

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Any team trading for him would give up an asset and qualify him at 4mill. Makes zero sense.  They could just go sign him for a quarter of that as Ufa right now. Everyone knew Canucks wouldn't qualify him at 4mill.  

True enough. Didn't think that one out to much. My thought process was that a d-man with his number of games and at his age would have value. Just not $4 mil in value. 

aGent thinks Stecher is a better d-man. IMHO he likely has more upside than Hutton but prior to the Meyers and Benn signing I thought Hutton's size over Stecher made him more valuable. With those signings there is less need for Hutton. 

Stecher has further upside. He has improved every year. Hughes on 1st PP unit and Stecher on the 2nd PP. Edler, Meyers, Hughes and Stecher on the PP, not to bad.    

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

True enough. Didn't think that one out to much. My thought process was that a d-man with his number of games and at his age would have value. Just not $4 mil in value. 

aGent thinks Stecher is a better d-man. IMHO he likely has more upside than Hutton but prior to the Meyers and Benn signing I thought Hutton's size over Stecher made him more valuable. With those signings there is less need for Hutton. 

Stecher has further upside. He has improved every year. Hughes on 1st PP unit and Stecher on the 2nd PP. Edler, Meyers, Hughes and Stecher on the PP, not to bad.    

Stecher already plays bigger than Hutton other than the two or three times a season Hutton actually used his size.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Im predicting Hutton to flames. 

Would not surprise me if it were to happen. 

Hutton would be good there. Not sure if he would be top four dman, but he would be a good player on that third pairing, and would give the Flames good depth. 

59 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Would not surprise me if it were to happen. 

Hutton would be good there. Not sure if he would be top four dman, but he would be a good player on that third pairing, and would give the Flames good depth. 

Hutton is a prime example of how the Canucks’ fan base overvalues it’s players. Everyone here thought he was awesome yet nobody wants him as anything beyond a late August bargain bin pick up. He’s probably seen as a 6/7/8 guy all around the league.  

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Hutton is a prime example of how the Canucks’ fan base overvalues it’s players. Everyone here thought he was awesome yet nobody wants him as anything beyond a late August bargain bin pick up. He’s probably seen as a 6/7/8 guy all around the league.  

I don't think it's just Canuck fans. I think that's just the nature of fans in general of all teams. 

That's why we're fans. LOL. we love our players, and we see them in a light that may not be realistic when it comes to how everyone else in the league sees our players. That's just reality. 

But it's fun to engage in conversation about said player - like Hutton. I honestly thought he was going to be a player for us. Just never materialized. Moving on from Ben to bigger and better things. Not to take away anything from Hutton. He's going to get an opportunity, I believe in the league somewhere, even if it's just as a depth dman. he's going to find work. I don't think he's a bad player, just not what we needed for the price point. Hope he does well wherever it is he eventually lands. 

4 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Who saw him more than a bottom 6? Most had him pegged below Edler and Hughes here. No one here really suggested for us to pay him more for his role (and management didn't). Hutton himself (or his agent) thought they could get more and he probably could've, but the cap has sort of squeezed him out.

He could simply wait it out and wait for a team that may have injury issues that can open up cap space when the player hit LTIR. He just needs to sign a PTO to attend a camp. It's a gamble, but some team may still be able to add him.

On 7/19/2019 at 9:15 PM, 18W-40C-6W said:

I’d like to see Goldy have one more camp and another 20 games so see if he’s finally “got it”

he’s got a lot of skill and said the right things at the end of the season. If it’s hit home that his chances here are ending and he’s got maybe one shot left in the NHL he may come back a different player. 

I’m not a huge fan but I think they need to make sure they aren’t moving him when he’s finally learned, and could be a very valuable piece 

Where do you play him?  There's nowhere in the top 6 and he's certainly not going to play bottom 6

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Where do you play him?  There's nowhere in the top 6 and he's certainly not going to play bottom 6

when has this team NOT had injuries coming out of camp?

there will always be roster space for more than 23. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, tas said:

when has this team NOT had injuries coming out of camp?

there will always be roster space for more than 23. 

I don't disagree, though the top 6 has remained moderately healthy in the last few years.

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Who saw him more than a bottom 6?

Lots of people.   I recall a lot of "Ben Hutton" is 'legit top 4' talk - and not just in his rookie/breakout season - but throughout his terrible sophomore setback and it even persistedthrough last year.  He was a favorite of a lot of folks - understandable from a personality perspective - and understandable in the sense that he possesses a great toolbox - size, mobility, can move the puck....but not so much if people were paying close attention to his actual game.

It's his mental immaturity / decision-making that has let him down imo though - possibly correctible...

But I'm not sure why people are connecting him to Calgary here.

The rumour would seem to be that Calgary is looking hard at the trade market - which would seem to indicate at least on of two things - 1) they either aren't particularly interested in the UFA leftovers at this point (although personally I think there are a few potential real bargain depth guys still available - guys like Sbisa and Hutton....and/or 2) they are looking to the trade market because they want/need to move a contract or cap in the process.

My thoughts would be - if they are as high on Valimaki as they appear - perhaps an acquisition isn't as vital (although they may be looking at a tight western conference and wanting to ensure they are more competitive) - but otherwise, a placeholder like Sbisa/Hutton could be effective enough as a 3HLD until Valimaki's return.   I'm not a 'fan' of Hutton at the kind of money that was rumoured to be his expectations - but as a leftover depth signing, it's hard to do better than a young guy like him, with his size, skating, experience and potential to regain form he has shown earlier (when there wasn't really any pressure to perform).   Maybe that's a bit of a key to him recovering - if he could find circumstances where he's not feeling the pressure/expectations...in that sense, Calgary may not be ideal for him, but in another sense it could be a good opportunity on a team that has relatively effective depth to play with.  The other concern in Calgary might be that he'd likely be paired with Rasmus Andersson - is Hutton the best complement to a young partner?  If I'm Calgary I'm probably in touch with Sbisa (if the trade market doesn't pan out - as it is guys like Kronwall, McQuaid etc may be priced out of their cap flexibility.