The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

25 minutes ago, zombieksa said:

Hutton - Doughty new top pairing in LA would be interesting(ly mediocre)

Well Ben is a great human. It's a shame if he's paired with a trash human like Drew 

Hutton > doughty 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

I don't think that will be happening, but you never know. I think someone will sign him for about $3M x 2 or 3 years. 

I think that sailed a long time ago. Hutton is almost guaranteed to sign a 1 year show me deal at this point. I'd even say the chances of Hutton getting a PTO are greater than him getting a multi year deal. There's just too many teams that are up against the cap. If I were to guess, I'd say he signs a 1 year deal for $2M. That would be a good value contract for whatever team signs it. But I just don't see any team offering him more than what Jordie Benn signed for. He's a 6/7 on a good team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Messed up how? Please explain.

We got a great 3rd pairing D in Benn who is more physical and just as good as hutton for cheaper.  

....and how did JB mess up?

Benning did his job.  He had a great off season imo.

Agreed.  Benn took a discount to come home and brings an element our D lacked.  He will be a fan favourite.  Hutton's perfectly serviceable, a great guy off the ice, but there simply wasn't room for him in our top 6, especially with OJ knocking on the door.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Provost said:

When Hutton signs for under $1.5 million, it should put those questions to rest.

Are you saying Benn over Hutton was a mistake or am I misinterpreting you?

There's no way Hutton would have signed for $2M (Benn money) or $1.5M (as you suggested) on July 1. I don't think anyone predicted that Hutton would be without a contract 2 weeks out of training camp. Clearly most people (not Benning) misread the market. Hutton could sign for league minimum at this point and it still would have been the right decision to walk away. Best of luck to Ben though. He'll find a landing spot soon enough.

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

Are you saying Benn over Hutton was a mistake or am I misinterpreting you?

There's no way Hutton would have signed for $2M (Benn money) or $1.5M (as you suggested) on July 1. I don't think anyone predicted that Hutton would be without a contract 2 weeks out of training camp. Clearly most people (not Benning) misread the market. Hutton could sign for league minimum at this point and it still would have been the right decision to walk away. Best of luck to Ben though. He'll find a landing spot soon enough.

I am saying Benning didn’t mess up.  Paying $4 million for Hutton (what he would have likely gotten in arbitration)

would have been dumb.

They apparently tried to get him to sign for a reasonable deal and it didn’t fly.  Hutton’s camp miscalculated his value on the market and may end up with most of their dance partners having moved on and spent their cap.  

Only bargain hunter, short term deals are almost certainly what he is left with.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am saying Benning didn’t mess up.  Paying $4 million for Hutton (what he would have likely gotten in arbitration)

would have been dumb.

They apparently tried to get him to sign for a reasonable deal and it didn’t fly.  Hutton’s camp miscalculated his value on the market and may end up with most of their dance partners having moved on and spent their cap.  

Only bargain hunter, short term deals are almost certainly what he is left with.

Ok, that makes more sense! 

Now that DJ MDZ and dancing Ben Hutton are out, who's our new fun guy? Goldy looks like he likes to keep things light. You'd think Roussel's gotta take the cake though. Definitely a more serious tone with this team now.

Ben Kuzma: How effective could a Hutton-Stecher tandem be next season?

Jim Benning has promised aggressiveness to address roster weaknesses.

That’s what you expect to hear from a Vancouver Canucks’ general manager who has a year remaining his contract and is facing two pressing problems. He needs to acquire both a top-six right-winger and top-four defenceman if the franchise is going to take the next competitive step to help ensure job security.

The Canucks can’t go the free-agent route to fill both needs because they had just US $8.4 million in available salary-cap space at the end of their season.

• Haha 2

On 8/30/2019 at 8:51 PM, King Heffy said:

Agreed.  Benn took a discount to come home and brings an element our D lacked.  He will be a fan favourite.  Hutton's perfectly serviceable, a great guy off the ice, but there simply wasn't room for him in our top 6, especially with OJ knocking on the door.

exactly

• Upvote 1

On August 30, 2019 at 11:29 AM, apollo said:

Well Ben is a great human. It's a shame if he's paired with a trash human like Drew 

Hutton > doughty 

That trash human has two rings and id happily take him any day on the Canucks. Say what you want he does what ever it takes to win....him and OJ or tram would make a great pairing. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

That trash human has two rings and id happily take him any day on the Canucks. Say what you want he does what ever it takes to win....him and OJ or tram would make a great pairing. 

That's a fair opinion. 

I disagree. I don't like his garbage energy but again your opinion is yours and it's fair 

• Cheers 1

On 9/1/2019 at 2:01 PM, apollo said:

That's a fair opinion. 

I disagree. I don't like his garbage energy but again your opinion is yours and it's fair 

Doughty is NHL Royalty. Having him on your team give you a better chance at winning the Cup.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/30/2019 at 6:36 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Messed up how? Please explain.

We got a great 3rd pairing D in Benn who is more physical and just as good as hutton for cheaper.  

....and how did JB mess up?

Benning did his job.  He had a great off season imo.

Haters gonna hate, then if we win a cup they are all hopping back on the train

Edited by teepain
  • Cheers 1