The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

Interesting how this guy is still available. No room for him on the Canucks now. I can’t see him going anywhere as most teams have their rosters close to being filled up. Unless there is an injury to one of the teams in preseason, I think it’s Europe or Russia for Hutton...

Hutton’s agent screwed the pooch on this one.

Edited by grandmaster
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Interesting how this guy is still available. No room for him on the Canucks now. I can’t see him going anywhere as most teams have their rosters close to being filled up. Unless there is an injury to one of the teams in preseason, I think it’s Europe or Russia for Hutton...

I think all the big name UFAs being unsigned is probably the hold up.  Once those dominoes start falling, Ben will probably find a team.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Why has no one signed these legit top 4 studs?

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/ferraro-jake-gardiner-is-the-defenseman-canucks-should-pursue-1.1324479

Gardiner was the bestest D on the marketz!!

I'm so relieved we didn't grab Gardiner, did not want him at all. Wonder where he ends up though, someone will roll the dice although he'll likely have to take less than he probably thought. 

Same goes for Hutton. 

14 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Benning gets some credit for assessing the cost-to-value benefit and cutting his losses here. It didn't help Hutton that Benn agreed to take the "discount" contract that Montreal offered as well otherwise we may have brought Hutton back by now at a lower cost with an open spot.

If Hutton does eventually cave and take a lower deal to stay in the league, I'm sure we will hear about how Benning didn't manage his assets properly though.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'm so relieved we didn't grab Gardiner, did not want him at all. Wonder where he ends up though, someone will roll the dice although he'll likely have to take less than he probably thought. 

Same goes for Hutton. 

If I was to hazard a guess I would say Gardiner ends up in Montreal.

And if that happens, since the Red Wings would miss out on Gardiner, I’d say that Hutton ends up in Detroit.

Edited by BigTramFan

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

And if that happens, since the Red Wings would miss out on Gardiner, I’d say that Hutton ends up in Detroit.

With Yzerman in Detroit idk if they'd go after Gardiner, it's gonna be interesting to see what he does with that team. Hutton would command less commitment and going forward that's probably best. Detroit's gonna continue to be bad for a while before they get better.

Depends on what Gardiner takes though, if he's willing to drop his ask (and he'll probably have to) it might be bearable. 

23 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Agree his agent should be dropped.  It's nice though to think that he's still a valuable NHL player on a team but he wouldn't be an upgrade for the Canucks roster.  It's been a while since we've had thoughts of this kind...

12 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Wasn’t Yzerman with Team Canada at Worlds the year Hutton played such a strong tourney? Still think he finds a place in the NHL. He really doesn’t have much to lose by waiting until the top tier UFAs sign.

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Wasn’t Yzerman with Team Canada at Worlds the year Hutton played such a strong tourney? Still think he finds a place in the NHL. He really doesn’t have much to lose by waiting until the top tier UFAs sign.

2016 Worlds. Peters was the coach.  Hutton barely played and was even healthy scratched.  He played only half the games and his average ice time was under 5 minutes over the tournament.

1 hour ago, mll said:

2016 Worlds. Peters was the coach.  Hutton barely played and was even healthy scratched.  He played only half the games and his average ice time was under 5 minutes over the tournament.

Sorry about that. I was thinking of Taney. 

Hutton is a decent 5-7 Dman.

i see his problem as a guy that looks like he has zero of a mean streak in his soul. He got the size height weight but he has no physical threat.

He’s not a guy you want on your team in a playoff game battle.... you want meanness and intensity.

I hope someone signs him...he is a good guy.

Edited by HockeyHarry

The Los Angeles Kings are among the teams interested in unrestricted free agent defenceman Ben Hutton, multiple sources have told TFP.

The Minnesota Wild, Detroit Red Wings and New York Rangers have also shown interest in Hutton, though other teams have inquired, as well.

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/sept-2019/kings-remain-interested-in-hutton

On 9/4/2019 at 2:05 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

The Los Angeles Kings are among the teams interested in unrestricted free agent defenceman Ben Hutton, multiple sources have told TFP.

The Minnesota Wild, Detroit Red Wings and New York Rangers have also shown interest in Hutton, though other teams have inquired, as well.

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/sept-2019/kings-remain-interested-in-hutton

I wonder if Ben is making a decision about a PTO.  At this stage, I would think it would be better for him to at least train with a team than to sit out training camp and pre-season.  For his sake, hopefully there's a deal on the table, even if it might not be at the term or $ that he wants.

Unfortunately, I could see Ben being one of those guys who ends up playing in Europe and then has a hard time breaking back into the NHL even if he otherwise plays well.  I have to imagine that every year there are new, undrafted guys in college, the KHL, Euro Leagues, etc. who catch the eye of scouts.  Having an NHL resume should help him a bit but there seem to be lots of guys who never come back.