The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

19 minutes ago, aliboy said:

So Hutton and Granlund might not be qualified, we haven't heard anything yet regarding Goldobin, or Motte, and Leivo has arbitration rights, so wonder if they have any concern there.

I hope Motte and Leivo stay.

i hope they tell Goldobin to kick rocks. 

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If Hutton walks as a free agent that leaves only Bo Horvat as a player drafted from the Mike Gillis era that is still with the team. Let that sink in.

Thats 6 drafts with only one player to show for ( And only 2 NHLers produced). You wanna talk about incompetence? This is a big reason we’ve had to trade picks for talent in recent years.

Thanks Mike! At least you got Horvat right. 

When you are drafting at the very bottom of each round every year consistently why are you surprised? We only have like 1 or 2 player outside of the 1st round playing on the team. Demko and gaudette and they are still unknown atm

Just now, Blömqvist said:

Hutton for Vatanen, sign Myers, re-sign Schenn, then trade Tanev for a pick (retain salary if necessary), and have Juolevi as the #6D.

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Myers

Juolevi - Vatanen

Schenn

How do we trade him if we don’t qualify him?

No team is going to trade for him if they have to pay him 4 million.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Things have to give with the plethora of bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing D we have.

Looks like things are starting to move with no QO for either Hutton or Granlund. 

A couple teams made a couple trades today. We should see a few more in the next 5 days and then a huge amount next Monday.  Glad I am off work next Monday to waste the day in front of the tv/computer while the wife gives me dirty looks wondering why we are not doing something during our holiday week haha.

Does she ask you what kind of drink you like before you order lunch?

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Can you imagine being mediocre at your job so you only get 4 million per year?

Damn.....:sadno:

Well, mediocre if you only consider NHL players.

The worst NHL player in the league is still about the 700th best hockey player on the globe.

• Cheers 1

This year was probably the high water mark for Hutton.  He kept pace with the increase of workload for a bit and then wilted badly, unlike Stecher who showed he is a legit top 4 guy who can play top pairing minutes in a pinch without hurting you at all.

Hutton will find work in the league, D are always needed.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'd like to see him back - in the range of his expriing contract - I think that might actually be generous - but if he thinks he deserves over 4 million, I think some other team is welcome to take that chance on him - he might  prove worth it, but I'd rather sign a veteran placholder for less, who brings a bit more heaviness to his game that Hutton's spotty aggressiveness, and let that veteran bridge to Juolevi. 

4 miillion with any term at all to Hutton makes very little sense to the Canucks imo.

Whelp, reality of the cap era.  Cap space is an asset of its own.  If a player's value doesn't keep up with his salary, you cut bait.  Maybe you get an asset back, maybe not.  But it frees up that salary to pick up someone else.

Appears I may be changing my handle soon, lol.  But more reality -- everyone knows we need to fix the D.  But Edler and Hughes are locks, Stecher and his work ethic likely stays, and if we keep Hutton then what, Tanev is the sole guy we change out?  Figuring Hutty and Tanev both go, even if Tanev isn't until TDL or walks away like this.

Would appear that Myers is going to be brought in, but hopefully that is the only big-$ guy.  Would really like to see Juolevi and Rafferty step up and earn spots, but as ON has said, we do need some grit and fortitude back there as well.  We have Chatfield but don't think he's at the top of the pecking order.  Schenn is likely to find out he isn't worth more than $1mil, would be fortunate to get a one-way deal, and if it's with us it wouldn't be a good sign if he's in the starting 6.

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Myers

Juolevi - *Tanev/Rafferty/UFA

Don't think there's any way Travis will run with 3 rookies, so we're likely looking at a trade or another UFA, hopefully in that sub-$3mil placeholder range until the AHL prospects graduate or Woo/Rathbone/Tryamkin arrive, perhaps as early as the Spring.

31 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well, mediocre if you only consider NHL players.

The worst NHL player in the league is still about the 700th best hockey player on the globe.

Yea exactly.  Could you imagine being in the 99.99% for anything? 

Edited by Chris12345
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Both QO at like $1m, big deal, Dhaliwad

45 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Good. Motte's a &^@#ing beauty. Love that kid.

Schaller and Eriksson can just stay at home for all I care. Motte brings more than both combined.

36 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We’re talking about 6 drafts...

Every single player Benning picked with his first 5 picks as GM have played in the NHL for comparison. The only high pick there was for Virtanen.

Dont even try to defend Gillis. He goes down as the worst drafting GM in franchise history by far.

Yes Mike had the worst scouting staff and draft record in Canucks history.

But credit where it is due - those were &^@#ing awesome years to be a fan. How many div titles, like 5?

Two president trophies

A rough ride in SCF.

He's a moneyballer, not a builder. I loved (most) the years he was a GM

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Whelp, reality of the cap era.  Cap space is an asset of its own.  If a player's value doesn't keep up with his salary, you cut bait.  Maybe you get an asset back, maybe not.  But it frees up that salary to pick up someone else.

Appears I may be changing my handle soon, lol.  But more reality -- everyone knows we need to fix the D.  But Edler and Hughes are locks, Stecher and his work ethic likely stays, and if we keep Hutton then what, Tanev is the sole guy we change out?  Figuring Hutty and Tanev both go, even if Tanev isn't until TDL or walks away like this.

Would appear that Myers is going to be brought in, but hopefully that is the only big-$ guy.  Would really like to see Juolevi and Rafferty step up and earn spots, but as ON has said, we do need some grit and fortitude back there as well.  We have Chatfield but don't think he's at the top of the pecking order.  Schenn is likely to find out he isn't worth more than $1mil, would be fortunate to get a one-way deal, and if it's with us it wouldn't be a good sign if he's in the starting 6.

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Myers

Juolevi - *Tanev/Rafferty/UFA

Don't think there's any way Travis will run with 3 rookies, so we're likely looking at a trade or another UFA, hopefully in that sub-$3mil placeholder range until the AHL prospects graduate or Woo/Rathbone/Tryamkin arrive, perhaps as early as the Spring.

I'm not sure about either Myers or Hutton.

It's just speculation at this stage. 

If I were Hutton's agent I'd probably encourage him to accept his previous cap hit at best for a number of reasons.  First, I really doubt anyone out there will offer him more, even in UFA, particularly considering his competition on the market.  Second, he's been given a lot of opportunity here to regain that player he showed us early in his career - if he walks, with the expectation of more cap hit and as much a role as he had here - my guess is that he's going to be disappointed by the reality check.  You never know - but that would be my guess and I wouldn't mince words if I were in his camp, because he has to know that he's regressed in spite of being better last year, that's relative to an awful previous season - he was still a shell of his earlier self.   If he doesn't eat some humble elect to stay here, I think he's welcome to walk.

When it comes down to it there are q number of guys on the market that play heavier, are more reliable, may not have Hutton's upside, but Hutton himself has not had that upside, so unless he recovers that, he's essentially a second rate matchup D, without the consistent physicality you can get from other guys.  One thing I will note - his combination of skating and size are what I think keep him in the mix, and you could do worse, but in terms of a heavier shutdown placeholing LHD - you may then be able to form an actual legit shutdown pairing of that UFA acquisition with Tanev, let Edler play more moderate two way minutes with Stecher, and if it's Myers, there's a probable partner for Hughes.  Hutton Tanev could also be ok - but not at 4 million with any term at all = not realistic imo.

in no particular order - because there will be no traditional 1/2/3 pairing imo -

Edler   Stecher

Hughes ____ UFA (Myers?)

shutdownUFA/Hutton   Tanev

You have a competitve blueline in the immediate future - perhaps one, if healthy, that could be a potential playoff club (and put to rest the conditional pick anxiety lol) - and you have a potential opening for Juolevi if you don't go to big in FA,  and Woo - in due course - because that placeholder won't be here forever, and Tanev could also give way/be moved if/when Woo emerges - or even beforehand if an alternative placeholder is signed/acquired in the interim.  One other reason to possibly be conservative on term - if/when Tryamkin returns.

I think it depends on how competitve they aim to be this year - whether they move on from Tanev or not  - so I wouldn't be surprised if he remains, particularly if you could get a mean enough guy to play with him.   Even in the case of Myers, it wouldn't 'disappoint' me terribly if they signed a vet placeholder instead (Hainsey was pretty damn good and stabiliziing for Reilly for example and would be short term, lower cap) - or if they went with an alternative acquisition via trade (Cernak, Mayfield, Dillon...). 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm not sure about either Myers or Hutton.

It's just speculation at this stage. 

If I were Hutton's agent I'd probably encourage him to accept his previous cap hit at best for a number of reasons.  First, I really doubt anyone out there will offer him more, even in UFA, particularly considering his competition on the market.  Second, he's been given a lot of opportunity here to regain that player he showed us early in his career - if he walks, with the expectation of more cap hit and as much a role as he had here - my guess is that he's going to be disappointed by the reality check.  You never know - but that would be my guess and I wouldn't mince words if I were in his camp, because he has to know that he's regressed in spite of being better last year, that's relative to an awful previous season - he was still a shell of his earlier self.   If he doesn't eat some humble elect to stay here, I think he's welcome to walk.

When it comes down to it there are q number of guys on the market that play heavier, are more reliable, may not have Hutton's upside, but Hutton himself has not had that upside, so unless he recovers that, he's essentially a second rate matchup D, without the consistent physicality you can get from other guys.  One thing I will note - his combination of skating and size are what I think keep him in the mix, and you could do worse, but in terms of a heavier shutdown placeholing LHD - you may then be able to form an actual legit shutdown pairing of that UFA acquisition with Tanev, let Edler play more moderate two way minutes with Stecher, and if it's Myers, there's a probable partner for Hughes.  Hutton Tanev could also be ok - but not at 4 million with any term at all = not realistic imo.

in no particular order - because there will be no traditional 1/2/3 pairing imo -

Edler   Stecher

Hughes ____ UFA (Myers?)

shutdownUFA/Hutton   Tanev

You have a competitve blueline in the immediate future - perhaps one, if healthy, that could be a potential playoff club (and put to rest the conditional pick anxiety lol) - and you have a potential opening for Juolevi if you don't go to big in FA,  and Woo - in due course - because that placeholder won't be here forever, and Tanev could also give way/be moved if/when Woo emerges - or even beforehand if an alternative placeholder is signed/acquired in the interim.  One other reason to possibly be conservative on term - if/when Tryamkin returns.

I think it depends on how competitve they aim to be this year - whether they move on from Tanev or not  - so I wouldn't be surprised if he remains, particularly if you could get a mean enough guy to play with him.   Even in the case of Myers, it wouldn't 'disappoint' me terribly if they signed a vet placeholder instead (Hainsey was pretty damn good and stabiliziing for Reilly for example and would be short term, lower cap) - or if they went with an alternative acquisition via trade (Cernak, Mayfield, Dillon...). 

I keep forgetting the UFA D guy JB interviewed that’s a big bottom pair guy just yesterday.  That guy would fill Hutton’s Bottom pair spot, and Hutton would be left without a job.  

This is just weird. At the very least one would think Hutton could be qualified, sign a new contract in the 4-4.4 range and then be traded even at a discount. If only those first two things happen then worst case scenario we keep Hutton at an inflated price and we can move him later. 

Maybe he just re-signs and they skip arbitration. 

• Haha 1