The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

12 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

It doesn't matter why or how we lost the asset, a loss is a loss. He's a capable NHL defenceman who someone will sign.  

Our biggest need is defence, so we trade for a forward, don't use any of our 9 picks to draft one and now we're losing one for nothing.  Okay then

You realized we have added a top young offensive dman in Hughes. We signed Teves and Rafferty. We have other prospects like Juolevi, Brisebois, Eliot and Chatfield. We have depth like Sautner. July 1st hasn't passed yet so we could very well simply replace the "loss" of Hutton with a cheap UFA (other capable players that teams are letting go for free). There's also a long offseason ahead still where the defense can be addressed.

Would drafting a dman with a 6th round pick have changed your perception about addressing the D? Because if not, then unless you think there was a dman you would've taken over Podkolzin or Hoglander (even Keppen was ranked by some far higher than where he was picked), then what's the point of bringing up the draft argument?

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

so Joulevi is starting in the NHL?  I like the kid but maybe it wouldve been good to give him 20 games in the AHL first?  Lets say you go to arbitration and are forced to pay Hutton 4M.  You only have to do it for one year no?  I would've done that.  

I think this only furthers my point Hutton, Tanev, Sutter, Baertschi, Granlund, Eriksson, Goldobin, Leivo, Stecher, Schenn, Biega, Schaller, aren't worth much at all in a trade.  Loosing that 1st is going to make things awfully difficult making a trade in the future.

1 minute ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

so Joulevi is starting in the NHL?  I like the kid but maybe it wouldve been good to give him 20 games in the AHL first?  Lets say you go to arbitration and are forced to pay Hutton 4M.  You only have to do it for one year no?  I would've done that.  

I think this only furthers my point Hutton, Tanev, Sutter, Baertschi, Granlund, Eriksson, Goldobin, Leivo, Stecher, Schenn, Biega, Schaller, aren't worth much at all in a trade.  Loosing that 1st is going to make things awfully difficult making a trade in the future.

Making changes... talking to Nemeth, Schenn and probably a number of others.

• Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Oh no doubt Gillis draft is terrible but he is picking 29-30 every year and 55+ got his next pick literally every year hes been here. At that point those are all lottery picks. Benning first draft his first 2 picks are higher than any pick Gillis ever had and McCann he got rid of so fast because he doesnt view him as a fit here. I mean if you are judging their drafting based on how many of them plays in the nhl or whatever then I can say Ben Hutton played more games than all the non 1st round pick by Benning combined. I just want to say Gillis sucks at drafting but Benning ain't much better until those player actually makes an impact and so far none of the non 1st have. Gillis had 1 top 10 pick and he nailed it with horvat. Same cant be said about Benning and his 4 didnt include this year coz it's way too early but virtanen and juolevi not that they cant be great but considering what's been drafted after them I would say it's a fail

That's not an excuse when you look at teams like Tampa and Chicago, who also picked late, yet they still found gems later in the draft. There were plenty of great players Gillis could have drafted, but he chose busts instead. Horvat is literally the only successful draft pick from the previous regime.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, aliboy said:

So Hutton and Granlund might not be qualified, we haven't heard anything yet regarding Goldobin, or Motte, and Leivo has arbitration rights, so wonder if they have any concern there.

Leivo produced at the same pace as Virtanen (0.37) while mostly playing top-6 with the team's best players and on PP1.  I don't know if they are allowed to use P60 in arbitration.  It measures production efficiency to ice time - in Vancouver he's around 300th among Fs with min 40 games.  His production has not matched his opportunities - he's not going to gain much by going to arbitration. 

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

That's not an excuse when you look at teams like Tampa and Chicago, who also picked late, yet they still found gems later in the draft. There were plenty of great players Gillis could have drafted, but he chose busts instead. Horvat is literally the only successful draft pick from the previous regime.

tampa bay other than 1 great year at the draft in 2011 where they got kucherov in the 2nd and palat.. in the same span as gillis era.. they were pretty bad.. if you take away the #1 overall in stamko and #2 overall in hedman.. the most notable player they have is kucherov and palat... everything else is either a bust or career ahler.. chicago during the exact same span have Saad shaw outside of the 1st round.. like i said i'm not defending gillis picks coz he striaght up sucks.. but top teams tend to have terrible drafts not just gillis

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

You realized we have added a top young offensive dman in Hughes. We signed Teves and Rafferty. We have other prospects like Juolevi, Brisebois, Eliot and Chatfield. We have depth like Sautner. July 1st hasn't passed yet so we could very well simply replace the "loss" of Hutton with a cheap UFA (other capable players that teams are letting go for free). There's also a long offseason ahead still where the defense can be addressed.

Would drafting a dman with a 6th round pick have changed your perception about addressing the D? Because if not, then unless you think there was a dman you would've taken over Podkolzin or Hoglander (even Keppen was ranked by some far higher than where he was picked), then what's the point of bringing up the draft argument?

Ben Chiarot would be a good replacement. Old Ben for new Ben.

Edited by babalu
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

The way our AHL team is going I am not sure I trust them to "develop" Juolevi. 

• Wat 1

The guy is 6'2" but doesn't play like it, he scored 19 points last year and 6 points the year before that. He is a career MINUS 75!!!!!!!

Our defense is atrocious and even worse when Tanev/Edler are out, so how is this guy an asset worth anything?

The kids played fine last year and at least could defend without making so many mistakes. Just watching Hughes for a few games showed exactly how a young up and coming defenseman should look like. Stecher and Hutton are fill ins until our young D are ready. They are currently our Weber/Vey type plugs that occupy ice time until we rebuild, plain and simple.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

The asset management on this team is ridiculous. 

It is what it is. Good teams lose talent all the time. Hutton isn't worth his ARB case. If we add a free agent D we can't afford 2 overpaid players. 

I personally feel his personality has been of the problem. He feels threatened by Quinn anyways. Instead of embracing a new teammate he's worried about his positional standing on the team.

The focus should be on the group. Stecher wants more ice time I'm sure but he acts more mature about it and puts the team first because he wants to play here. I respect stechs play and decision making. He's a good player and a good guy.

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

tampa bay other than 1 great year at the draft in 2011 where they got kucherov in the 2nd and palat.. in the same span as gillis era.. they were pretty bad.. if you take away the #1 overall in stamko and #2 overall in hedman.. the most notable player they have is kucherov and palat... everything else is either a bust or career ahler.. chicago during the exact same span have Saad shaw outside of the 1st round.. like i said i'm not defending gillis picks coz he striaght up sucks.. but top teams tend to have terrible drafts not just gillis

?

Tampa got 10 NHL regulars not including any of their top 6 picks from the drafts from 2008-2013. Would've been 11 but Nesterov went back to the KHL. The Blackhawks also selected 10 regulars without any high picks. 

The Canucks picked 4, including Connauton who sucks and Hodgson who isn't in the league anymore due to medical reasons. 

5 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

??? Couldn't management forsee this possible scenario and move him earlier in the season?  You're telling me a 26 year old D-man who can handle up to 20 minutes a night and makes just 2.8 can't get us anything?  Do you think he won't get signed by anybody if he hits free agency?  Why is he rumored to get close to 4 million dollars if he has no value?  

Have you watched the Canucks the past few years?

If you have, well so has the rest of the league - and their pro-scouts.  Hutton's struggles have been so patently obvious that no one in the business could have whiffed on it.

It's no secret they were willing to part with Hutton - so do tell us which takers Benning 'should have' dealt him to, and for what, if you're such astute armchair GM.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Okay forget all the other stuff.  The main point is we lost a young, capable NHL defenceman for nothing(if he truly leaves as an FA).  That is not okay.  

Who would pay for what Hutton is entitled for RFA raise?

So a player that the gm apparently can’t  trade  and has no value won’t qualify because he’s so crappy that in arbitration will award him 4mill......

Arbitration usually equals market value And short term. Far less risk than a 30 year old ufa vet sign for 6 years at 6 mill cough eriksdone. 

If Jim says so the cdc must defend and agree.