The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks News & Rumors: Edler, Boeser, Podkolzin, Miller Trade - The Hockey Writers

Rate this topic

grandmaster

An extra 50 pts, along with whatever point total we can garner in free agency, would mean a lot more on ice results as a lot of those close 1 goal games, might have been decided the other way.  We should be trending upwards, and if we are savvy in contract negotiation and term, as well as good at selecting the right UFA's this summer, we should see some very positive results.  Just have to make sure we start developing some of our past draft talent into actual NHL'ers, hopefully with impact.  And I'm talking about ones that weren't drafted in the first round.  Don't want to be Edmonton.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

This is all good news except if Boesers next contract brings him to free agency and we don’t.   A bridge is fine, although I think it has a big chance of backfiring on us like it did for MTL on Price and Subban, not a big fan of these deals at all when star players are concerned, rather lock him in now....a deal like AM has would be very unfortunate.

Sign Boeser to a deal that ends when Bo's ends? 4 year deal would still have him as an RFA right? So that'd be a great deal for us as well as Boeser. Depending on Boeser's play maybe even better for him rather than signing a long term deal now. If he signs long term now it's likely in the 7mil range, tops. If he signs for 4 years at say 5-6mil he could potentially sign his next deal for 8+mil depending on his play.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boeser at $7 million for 5 years is a steal...

People on he CDC didnt like the idea of a Tarasenko type deal which would lock him in for 7.5 x 8 ... which is what I was hoping for.  Losing Boeser in five years would be heart breaking much like it was for Bure if he becomes a 50 plus goal scorer which playing with a EP is definitely a possibility.    I’d say this deal heavily favours Boeser, he’s getting paid for something he hasn’t done yet and we aren’t buying any UFA years, it’s my least preferred deal, if it’s less than six then rather have a bridge of 3 years so we can sign him long term later, even though it’s going to cost us a lot more overall then if we just get it over with now 7.25 x 7-8

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Sign Boeser to a deal that ends when Bo's ends? 4 year deal would still have him as an RFA right? So that'd be a great deal for us as well as Boeser. Depending on Boeser's play maybe even better for him rather than signing a long term deal now. If he signs long term now it's likely in the 7mil range, tops. If he signs for 4 years at say 5-6mil he could potentially sign his next deal for 8+mil depending on his play.

That deal is fine ... signing him until he’s a UFA is ludicrous...don’t like it one bit 

16 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That deal is fine ... signing him until he’s a UFA is ludicrous...don’t like it one bit 

Yeah, not sure if 4 brings him to UFA. Someone more knowledgeable will have to let me know. He's 22 now, so I think for sure 5 years brings him to UFA status. So a 5 year deal would not be ideal unless we plan on trading him some time during the contract. With that said though a lot can happen in 5 years. He may start a family here. Not every American will be like Kesler. Still would rather play it safe and not buy any UFA years unless it's 7 or 8 year deal which doesn't seem to be in the cards.

29 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

If he signs for 4 years at say 5-6mil he could potentially sign his next deal for 8+mil depending on his play.

The idea of a shorter term, less money, and then a big payday later (which is almost inevitable) does seem to help Brock out the most.  I have little doubt he will continue to play at the same pace - if not ppg pace in short order.  That gives us one hell of a steal early on if we can get him 6 or under. If any guy would give a "pay your dues" discount, it would be him.  All class.  Bo taking a reasonable contract sets a good example of that too. On the other hand, I don't believe there is a lot of risk in signing him long term.  7 million now will look like a steal of a contract in 5 years where the cap WILL go up, and players like him will be going for 10.

What scares me is that we would have upcoming contracts with Quinn, Bo, Boeser, Miller, and possibly Pettersson all inside a couple of years of each other.  Even with Edler leaving, we are going to have to some fancy work to afford all that - let alone ensure the remainder of the team maintains their relative position.

Oh well.  Let's get that playoff team first before figuring out how to retain it, I suppose.

As far as Benning's moves - I like all the drafts... we will see how they turn out; I have come to expect good things from Benning and Co.

The move for Miller I initially hated, but the more I think about it I realize this gives us a certain top 6 guy... something we are not guaranteed with even a lottery 1st.  And the third... bleh.  Don't get me wrong - I believe Benning would likely do well with that first but we can't expect Petterssons and Boesers as a regularity.  The Benning haters would go nuts. Miller gives us a sure-fire top 6 guys with size and speed to compliment our best players.  Reasonable cap, reasonable term.

Edited by kloubek
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, IBatch said:

People on he CDC didnt like the idea of a Tarasenko type deal which would lock him in for 7.5 x 8 ... which is what I was hoping for.  Losing Boeser in five years would be heart breaking much like it was for Bure if he becomes a 50 plus goal scorer which playing with a EP is definitely a possibility.    I’d say this deal heavily favours Boeser, he’s getting paid for something he hasn’t done yet and we aren’t buying any UFA years, it’s my least preferred deal, if it’s less than six then rather have a bridge of 3 years so we can sign him long term later, even though it’s going to cost us a lot more overall then if we just get it over with now 7.25 x 7-8

Boeser has already played 3 years of his original contract so signing him for 5 years would burn one year off of his UFA years...

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boeser has already played 3 years of his original contract so signing him for 5 years would burn one year off of his UFA years...

Semantics...it’s still a bad deal for us and a good one for him ... two years and nine games.  Edit:  guess I’m just freaking out with the idea that we might only have Boeser for 4-5 more years and then he’s gone for good...

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Semantics...it’s still a bad deal for us and a good one for him ... two years and nine games.  Edit:  guess I’m just freaking out with the idea that we might only have Boeser for 4-5 more years and then he’s gone for good...

It's not semantics it's fact.  You said we weren't buying any of his UFA years, which is not true, we would be buying one year on a 5 year deal.  Also, BO will be a UFA the year prior to Boeser if Boeser were to sign a 5 year deal.  Are you freaking out about that as well?

At the end of the day if we have the cap space and we are a legitimate playoff team and cup contender there is no reason for either BO or Boeser to leave Vancouver.  They are not prima donnas.  Lots of guys re-sign with their current team after UFA status.  The Canucks would have the advantage of adding that extra year to the contract as well unless that gets changed in the new CBA.

At the end of the day if we are a playoff calibre team that is chasing a cup in 4-5 years there is no reason for either BO or Boeser to leave if we have the cap space to sign them.  If we still suck after another 4 years then that is a different issue altogether and most likely we will lose both.  So here's hoping the Canucks have a great summer and get back into the playoffs next year.  Now maybe people can understand why it is so important to make the playoffs instead of just collecting high draft picks.  It's because we actually want to be able to compete so our star players stick around and we don't end up like Edmonton.