The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] William Karlsson re-signs (8 years, 5.9M AAV)

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So Vegas now at 89 mil salary with an 81.5 cap limit. 

Well they do get the Clarkson cap relief, but still will have to make some moves for sure as they still need a couple more roster players too.

Colin Miller and Reaves should be basically free for cap relief.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Just goes to show that even cap strapped teams tend to keep and resign players they value. People harp on the Miller trade but as you can see just because players are UFA / RFA doesn't mean they will ever hit the open market. 

Edited by Analyst82
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So Vegas now at 89 mil salary with an 81.5 cap limit. 

12 forwards (excluding Clarkson).

6 D

and Fleury signed

unfortunately they're looking fairly healthy at this point after this contract.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 2

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well they do get the Clarkson cap relief, but still will have to make some moves for sure as they still need a couple more roster players too.

Eric Haula might be cheap.

Reaves might be cheap.

But if you think Colin MIller will be 'basically free' I think you might be getting carried away.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

6 D

and Fleury signed

How exactly is that?

They are 3 million over the cap, and still need to sign 3 more players.  For every player they shed, that adds another player to sign even at league minimum. 

They also need to have a couple million in buffer for short term injury callups

They need to drop about $5 million in salary.

5 minutes ago, Analyst82 said:

Just goes to show that even cap strapped teams tend to keep and resign players they value. People harp on the Miller trade but as you can see just because players are UFA doesn't mean they will ever hit the open market. 

He was RFA and, as pointed out, Vegas will certainly have to shed cap before the start of the season.

Doesn't Vegas still have to re-sign Nikita Gusev?  I'm thinking they are still in cap purgatory and will need to shed millions to get under $81.5 million.  I would take a look at Shea Theodore and Ryan Reaves.  That would take them out of cap hell and fill two big needs for us.  What would it take to get those two guys?

20 minutes ago, Provost said:

Miller should bring some decent prospects and/or picks for sure, he won't be a 'dump'. I can't see them parting with Reaves.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, oldnews said:

6 D

and Fleury signed

true but someone good has to be shed from that roster. I'd love to see Colin Miller here. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Apparently 8x$5.9 million.  Pretty fair deal.

From a Canucks perspective, I hope this leans the Boeser signing to having a six in front of it rather than a seven.  Karlsson has scored a lot more goals in the past two years than Boeser.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/golden-knights-reportedly-to-sign-karlsson-to-8-year-deal/wcm/ceb55828-80c7-4447-8252-71a74234681b/amp

99 point player Nathan Mackinnon makes $6.3M so I don't expect Boeser's contract to be more than $7M.

I'd be super pumped if Boeser gets 6Mx8 or 6Mx6.

Edited by Pizza
  • Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

He was RFA and, as pointed out, Vegas will certainly have to shed cap before the start of the season.

Yes, thank you! I meant to say UFA or RFA. All I am saying that teams will not just throw away players they value because they are strapped for cash. I don't think Miller was a cap dump by any means, hence I don't mind the trade. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Doesn't Vegas still have to re-sign Nikita Gusev?  I'm thinking they are still in cap purgatory and will need to shed millions to get under $81.5 million.  I would take a look at Shea Theodore and Ryan Reaves.  That would take them out of cap hell and fill two big needs for us.  What would it take to get those two guys?

Gusev, a back-up goalie (Subban is unsigned), Pirri (UFA). Just 13 forwards, 6 D and Fleury under contract.

They're in a tight spot...certainly not nearly as bad a position as the Leafs though.

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

true but someone good has to be shed from that roster. I'd love to see Colin Miller here. 

Well maybe I haven't had enough coffee to wake myself up this morning.

But they can remain 10% over the cap until opening night at which point they get the cap relief from Clarkson (5.25 million).

It limits what they can do from now until then, but they consider themselves contenders - I think they'd spend an asset if necessary to rid themselves of a Haula  or Reaves as opposed to 'giving a Miller away for free'.

The thing about the Clarkson cap - it prevents them from doing much from now until they set their roster for the season, so they are effectively somewhat bypassed by the UFA market - in which case I think they will retain their essential assets as opposed to dumping a 20 minute D - they've already lost Engelland in all likelihood - I'd be surprised if they sacrificed Miller when they have depth forwards they can dump, probably at a lesser cost than the loss of Miller would represent.  If they dump MIller, they need to replace Miller.  Replacing a depth forward is far easier, particularly when they're being bypassed by the market because of Clarkson.

That's my take.  I think if anyone wanted Miller, it would cost assets, probably market value range assets.   Simply because Vegas is in  a tight cap situation does not make their valued assets cap dumps. 

And again - if this team were to acquire Miller, it creates a need / leaves a need for another D to fit - a heavier, harder minutes guy than Miller - there'd still have to be another important addition regardless, imo.    Spending assets on Miller doesn't make primary sense imo.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1