The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What would an Eriksson for Ryan trade look like?

Both guys have 3 years left, both could certainly use a change of scenery... 

Loui is at 6 AAV and Bobby is at 7.25 AAV 

Loui has a front loaded contract and will only be owed 9 million in real money after July 1st... 

Bobby Ryan on the other hand, is owed 20.5 million in real money after July 1st... Eugene is such a cheapskate that he did reverse front loading on Bobby's deal 

Ottawa will save 11.5 million in real cash... There's gotta be some value in that. 

Would it be unrealistic to ask for a 2020 first? Replenish the 2020 31st overall we gave up for JT 

So 2020 San Jose first + Bobby Ryan for Loui Eriksson? 

That's an 11.5 million dollar first + we get the more offensively dangerous player at 1.25 more on the cap 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Loui doesn't want to be here.  When he finds out he'll be riding buses for the next 3 years in Utica his wife will tell him to mutually terminate his contract.  He can make up the $9 million elsewhere.  I'm sure some team will sign him to a 3 year $2.5 million per year deal, so if it's in a tax friendly state he might be able to get it all back.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

Don't think a first is a reasonable sweetener but I could see Melynk doing it if Benning was the type of guy to fight for extra value in trades (which he generally doesn't). Pearson - Horvat - Ryan could be a decent second line, Although, I'm not sure how much Ryan has regressed.

I don't think mutual termination works like that.  He would not be allowed to re-sign in NHL until the contract would have finished.  I would think there would be cap re-capture as well.

I would like to see what happened if the Canuck's didn't pay the signing bonus July 1.  If this ends in court.  I think would be fun test case.

i proposed this a long time ago because I thought Ryan had 2 years left.  At 3 it would take a big sweetener.  I don't think Ottawa will be lining up to give away first round pics again.  As we know it is not a good idea to give away unprotected first rounders if you are a rebuilding team.  

Would it be worth it for a couple second rounders.  Sure, maybe it isn't my money.  Would rather see a D prospect as sweetener.  Ryan may be the worse player though, does he even do the little things?

25 minutes ago, apollo said:

Loui has a front loaded contract and will only be owed 9 million in real money after July 1st... 

Bobby Ryan on the other hand, is owed 20.5 million in real money after July 1st... Eugene is such a cheapskate that he did reverse front loading on Bobby's deal 

Ottawa will save 11.5 million in real cash... There's gotta be some value in that. 

Would it be unrealistic to ask for a 2020 first? Replenish the 2020 31st overall we gave up for JT 

That's an 11.5 million dollar first + we get the more offensively dangerous player at 1.25 more on the cap 

Both of those contracts are turds.

As we all know, you can polish a turd but it still remains a turd.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

We are all tired of Eriksson.  They have to get to the cap floor.  

I would do the following.

To Ottawa

Eriksson, Spooner, Schaller ($18mil real dollars, $11mil cap hit this year)

They get veteran players to fill out their roster and mentor their younger players.  They save $4.5 million but get a higher cap hit which doesn't matter at this point.  The would still have lots of rume to sign some RFA's and FA's.  

To Vancouver

Bobby Ryan ($22.5mil real dollars, $7.25mil cap hit)

Get a player who is a bit better offensively than LE, worse defensively.  Seems like a character guy.  We get a lower cap hit.  We also clear out some space for more contracts and actual space on the roster.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, apollo said:

31st overall.. 

hyuk.. 

I see what you did there

• Haha 1

not a bad idea he did have 42 points last year, hes also easier to buy out after a year or two. 

I'd like to see Eriksson & Spooner 

for

Ryan 15% retained

sens would love the $$ they save and players get change of scenery.   

What would the trade look like???

It would be like cleaning your lawn by moving the dog poop from the backyard to the front....sure you moved some things around, but you still have a pile of s*** on your hands.

• Haha 3

If we could swing it, I'd like to see:

To OTT:

Eriksson

Sutter

To VAN:

2020 SJS 1st

2020 CBJ 3rd

Or:

To OTT:

Eriksson

Schaller

Baertschi

To VAN:

2020 OTT 1st

2020 DAL 2nd

I'm honestly a fan of Baertschi, but I'm not sure what his role with Vancouver will be this season with the Miller signing + UFA rumors. I'm not putting Virtanen in, because I'm holding out hope for him to become a solid 2nd-3rd liner. He's only 22, yet people crap on him for point production like he's 25-26. And as I recall, WD wanted him to work more on the defensive side of his game when he first came into the pro leagues.

Edited by Chickenspear
forgot CBJ 3rd
  • Haha 2

• 4 months later...

I wonder if this is worth a re-visit at this point in the season with Ryan being a healthy scratch in Ottawa. Ryan's size suits our team style better and both players *could* become greater contributors with a change of scenery.

Is it not worth a look? Both players have contracts that cannot be moved and both only play occasionally now anyway so risk is limited.

Due to the actual cash owed, I would expect Ottawa to take on the cap difference in retention - and maybe a small sweetener in some form. Maybe add Baertschi to help their scoring?

13 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Ryan 2 million per year retained for Eriksson. Canucks save half a million in cap space, Ottawa saves 5 million in cash. Both players get a change of scenery - a risk that is worth it for both teams as they can't really get much worse. 

Not sure, but isn't Loui's contract better for a buyout?  Also, Ryan has a NMC, so he would have to stay with the team for the remaining years on his contract.

I think the plan may be to buy out Loui after the July bonus is paid out.  If that's the case, then leaving things be for this season is best.

We don't need more baggage.  Play our young guys and let them develop.  Keeping the 4-5 slugs on the team is only draining the bank account of the owner, not developing the future for the Canucks.  Hungry players given the chance deserve the chance to show what they got.  Guys who have been making big bucks coasting for the last few years are not the answer.

10 hours ago, Tyndall2 said:

We don't need more baggage.

Eriksson's luggage says "Hi".  The idea of this is to trade a useless player for another useless player and the hope for both teams is that their new acquisition wakes up. No risk.

Occasionally it works. While he has tapered off, I think the Oilers are pretty happy with their trade for Neal.