The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks extend qualifying offers to 8 players

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'd probably swap Granny for Boucher - but perhaps they still sign Granny at less than the 1.5ish he made last year? 

In any event I'd have him in around the 13 spot in the present setup, not including younger guys like Gaudette, so he's on the cusp regardless.

With Boucher though, they're probably thinking of goal scoring for Utica.

Seems that Granlund has lost interest or something the past year or two.  Decent fill-in now, and we could keep him if we needed to, just so long as he isn't taking up space that another young guy could have, and would he want to be a pressbox champ?  If no other offers out there it may be his only choice if $ is the main factor, otherwise he goes to Europe?  Would think someone will give him $1mil anyway.

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Why qualify Boucher over Granlund?  I am scratching my head on that one - I thought Granlund was fine as a 4th line guy.

As mentioned, AHL scoring.  Nobody's going to claim him off waivers and have to keep him on their team all year, and we'd just snap him back up if they tried to send him down.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Losing With Pride said:

No, I'm just sad.  Hutty is a beauty.

Not worth the 4.3, that's for sure.

This is cap era negotiating. If the cap hit is looking too high, you don't qualify them, takes arbitration possibility off the table and then you offer them what you feel they are really worth in today's market.

If they don't accept, as you can see from that list, there are probably 3 or 4 guys on that list that could be signed for the same or less, who would be pretty close to Hutton in performance.

Or, we could promote from within

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I personally wish Gaunce was qualified but clearly he's not viewed highly by this management group.  If anything, Gaunce seems like a good depth player that could be kept around for depth with the Comets.  Are there that much better UFA depth Cs or LWs available?  I suppose the Canucks could still re-sign Gaunce but looks like it's a farewell to another former 1st Rd pick.

The Canucks are heading into free agency with quite a few contract spots open so it will be very interesting to see how things unfold.

Who's to say that we don't have Utica sign him again. If Utica signs him and gives him a chance to continue to develop (getting a little old to be a prospect though, IMO), then he doesn't count against our 50 contract cap and we can look at signing one of those College kids instead in April and May next year.

16 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

someone should have converted him to a winger. The kid has wheels, smarts, hands, is tough and strong for his size but is just too small for D. Playing and trying to learn to play D in a big man's league has likely made him at least very good defensively as a forward.

I am not sure why no one has every given him that opportunity. He's got a better chance of being successful at his size in the NHL as a forward than as a dman.

I thought so too.  His biggest weakness was he can't play d.  

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Seems that Granlund has lost interest or something the past year or two.  Decent fill-in now, and we could keep him if we needed to, just so long as he isn't taking up space that another young guy could have, and would he want to be a pressbox champ?  If no other offers out there it may be his only choice if $ is the main factor, otherwise he goes to Europe?  Would think someone will give him $1mil anyway.

I think he's better than the average waiver wire player - so I'd keep him, waive him and hope he lands in and improves Utica.

It has appeared, though, as if Green isn't particularly keen on him  - although he trusted and utilized him in some heavy mintues at times, so I don't know.

I think he's a more versatile guy obviously than Goldobin - but he's also on the edge of the roster, so there's a chance he's lost to waivers regardless.

Maybe this lights something under him?   If it came to him or Leivo - who I sse competing for a similar spot/role, I'd take Leivo.