The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks extend qualifying offers to 8 players

3 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

We might still sign him in free agency so dont write him off yet. 

If we can sign him for 1.5 per then he would be a great 7th defenceman.  That assumes we have better players in the top 6:

Edler Tanev

Hughes Myers

Joulevi Stecher

Hutton

1 hour ago, SealTheDeal said:

I'm actually a bit surprised by Granlund. He's a fairly versatile player and inexpensive. I'd take him over Motte. Maybe it's simply a role issue, adn we have better players to fill out our top nine.

There are all sorts of players not getting qualified though. The flames are tossing Rychel, and I remember when he was considered one of Columbus' future stars. . .

Granny over Motte?!!?!

serious? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

He was drafted 147th overall in the 5th round.  He played the 25th most games in the NHL of the entire draft class and the most from the 5th round.  He is a very successful 5th round pick.  He is just not worth the cap hit.  This is the right thing to do.  He is a 5-7th defenceman at best and we shouldn't spend over 4 million on that.

That is an interesting point.  Based on his draft position he is a great pick, the trouble is he got a contract he couldn't earn (not his fault) and now everyone treats him with contract level expectations not draft expectations. 

In a re-draft would he be a first round pick?

Edited by dm_ranger
  • Wat 1

Granlund can't skate and his wrist is shot.  In then end no one really won the trade.  Hutton was a 5th round pick he's already beaten the odds of ever making the NHL, he's a bottom pairing d-man, maybe a 7th or 8th on playoff teams.  No way he should be playing top 4 minutes like he was for us.  

4 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

That is an interesting point.  Based on his draft position he is a great pick, the trouble is he got a contract he couldn't earn (not his fault) and now everyone treats him with contract level expectations not draft expectations. 

I think more like mid 2nd.  There are some guys behind him on the games played list who are stronger nhlers at this point.  He only played 4 games in the AHL.  He probably could have used some more development time.  Who knows?

3 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

Hard to see Hutton as a 1st Rd pick but when you consider that Slater Koekkoek was picked in the 1st Rd, picking Hutton in the 5th Rd looks like a steal.

I wrote in another thread that it's also worth considering what would happen if the Canucks did qualify Hutton and then have him receive a generous arbitration award.  It would basically require them to give up a contract spot and, more importantly, a significant amount of cap space, to a player whose performance would otherwise indicate should be paid quite a bit less.  Even if they limited the term to 1-year, unless Hutton were to surprise and improve his performance (which is still possible but becoming less likely), there's a good chance that they would have let him walk away in free agency since it doesn't seem like the trade market is that great for him.  It sucks, of course, that the Canucks could lose Hutton without gaining an asset - I think he's done enough to show that he is an NHL player - but the benefits of not signing him to a much too expensive contract are important too.

At this stage, I'm hoping the Canucks don't hamstring themselves on an overly lucrative deal for Myers but that remains to be seen...

6 minutes ago, amplified0ne said:

Granlund can't skate and his wrist is shot.  In then end no one really won the trade.  Hutton was a 5th round pick he's already beaten the odds of ever making the NHL, he's a bottom pairing d-man, maybe a 7th or 8th on playoff teams.  No way he should be playing top 4 minutes like he was for us.  

We had an NHL player for 215 games who scored 69 points and was good defensively, killed penalties.  Shinkaruk played 14 games and had 4 points and is now totally sucking for Montreal in the AHL.  How did we not win the trade?

• Cheers 4

26 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

who's fault is it that didn't earn his 2.8 million cap hit?

Sorry - but 4 years later he hasn't managed to be the player he was as a rookie.  It's no one else's fault.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Actually quite impressed with Benning so far this offseason. Good draft picks, not qualifying Hutton and Granny. Picking up a top six winger with size and skill. Hope he doesn't flush it away with an anchor contract to someone undeserving of it. 

I think Sautner and Brisebois should be there with Juolevi to man the 5th and 7th LHD positions.  If we are going to sign someone it should be Jordie Benn for some grit and experience.  Not Hutton.  We need a new look.

39 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

If we can sign him for 1.5 per then he would be a great 7th defenceman.  That assumes we have better players in the top 6:

Edler Tanev

Hughes Myers

Joulevi Stecher

Hutton

Hutton is better than OJ at this point. 

They didn't qualify him because 4mill plus is too much for him. They'll still try to re sign him at around 2.75 mill. 

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

isn't granny up against the same issue as hutton?

if qualified he would have arbitration rights

and so he could file.. which creates cost uncertainty for the team

i believe that is the main reason why hutton was not qualified

i think the team would have risked 2.8 for another year of hutton

but did not want to be forced to accept an arbitration amount

good point I hadn't thought of regarding Granlund - thanks.