The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks extend qualifying offers to 8 players

when discussing qualifying a team's ufa, arbitration rights must be considered

i have copied a couple paragraphs from online:

Most players must have four years of NHL experience before they are eligible for salary arbitration (the term is reduced for those who signed their first NHL contract after the age of 20). The process is used by restricted free agents because it is one of the few bargaining options available to them. In 2017, 30 NHL players filed for salary arbitration, including Nate Schmidt, a defenseman on the Vegas Golden Knights, an expansion team that made it to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2018.

Teams can also ask for salary arbitration but must file within 48 hours after the Stanley Cup finals. Also, a player can be taken to arbitration only once in his career and can never receive less than 85 percent of his previous year's salary. There are no such restrictions on the number of times a player can ask for arbitration, or the size of the salary awarded. In 2013, players in team-initiated arbitration received the right to entertain an offer from another team through the end of business on July 5. Teams can also ask for salary arbitration but must file within 48 hours after the Stanley Cup finals. Also, a player can be taken to arbitration only once in his career and can never receive less than 85 percent of his previous year's salary. There are no such restrictions on the number of times a player can ask for arbitration, or the size of the salary awarded. In 2013, players in team-initiated arbitration received the right to ntertain an offer from another team through the end of business on July 5.

13 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Or, to help convince Tryamkin to return?

Podkolzin is enough, but you have to give Goldy 1 more chance. His skill is undeniable, but he needs to put the skill with a freakish work ethic, the way other players are willing to do. There's so much competition between good young players, that this team is going to be good very soon.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I know, but Granlund wasn't pushing the needle. We need bigger, stronger, faster, more skilled players in our line up. Granlund was decent at most things but not great at anything. Sure he'll give you 25 points and play decent D but we need more than that in our bottom 6. Personally, I'd like to see MacEwen get a look or see what kind of upgrades are available in free agency. I mean, Nic Dowd signed for $750K. That's almost $250K savings on Granlund and arguably a better player. You can always circle back to Granlund in the end, but if you can upgrade or save some cap, you do it.

Agreed, I’m just surprised as he was cheap and not a liability.  If they however want to get bigger and more physical then obviously you have to let him go.

8 minutes ago, mpt said:

Agreed, I’m just surprised as he was cheap and not a liability.  If they however want to get bigger and more physical then obviously you have to let him go.

You can (and we did) do a lot worse than Granlund. But I think Benning is looking into upgrading any position he can. Our roster could be quite different come opening night.

10 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

You can (and we did) do a lot worse than Granlund. But I think Benning is looking into upgrading any position he can. Our roster could be quite different come opening night.

TBH it better be.  If he doesn’t completely rebuild our team this summer, he wasted a 1st round pick.  With him trading a 1st he better have a master plan to make us a possible playoff team

36 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Podkolzin is enough, but you have to give Goldy 1 more chance. His skill is undeniable, but he needs to put the skill with a freakish work ethic, the way other players are willing to do. There's so much competition between good young players, that this team is going to be good very soon.

Goldy is here now.  Podlolzin wont be here for a couple years.  He could help Try stay, but Try has to get here first.  If Goldy is gone, it is less likely Try comes back any time soon.

I dont mind Goldy getting another chance, but top 6 spots are getting rarer.  He's gonna have to sweat some out there.  Be great to see him earn the spot!  Things are shaping up.  Just need some quality D now.

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

Or, to help convince Tryamkin to return?

Dude...Tryamkin, Goldobin, Podkolzin, sign Vladimir Putin (have you seen his highlight real?!) *Russian accent* Our team is practically KHL champion already.

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sonoman said:

His whopping 8 points in the AHL last year to Hutton’s 20 points in the NHL makes this statement false.

Give Sautner the opportunity of 4 consistent 70 game seasons in the NHL like Hutton has had and you will probably see more points out of Sautner.

in Sautners .

If your looking for averages, a full season for Sautner would probably be better, especially if lines up with some of the players Ben has. (Over 24 points)

Regardless Sautner moves and covers in his own end, and has far better gap coverage than Hutton.

i do think Sautner would beat out Hutton for a position this season regardless.

As much as I liked Granlund and Hutton, we need some big changes on this team, JB knows it and he's making them. The core is just about set. The Miller trade shows he's got balls, now he's cutting some guys who have been around for years and just haven't been good enough. Will be interesting to see who he's got in mind to replace them. Granlund is an easy replacement (Gaudette, Miller at C) but by losing Pouliot and Hutton we desperately need some more decent defencemen.

They (along with Gudbranson) were terrible at times and obviously our 3 worst compared to the better guys like Edler, Stetcher and Tanev, but we need to replace 3 D now up and down the lineup. Ideally one top-4, one bottom pairing guy who can play 20 mins in case of injury and one depth 6-7th guy. Got to get cracking JB.

25 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

As much as I liked Granlund and Hutton, we need some big changes on this team, JB knows it and he's making them. The core is just about set. The Miller trade shows he's got balls, now he's cutting some guys who have been around for years and just haven't been good enough. Will be interesting to see who he's got in mind to replace them. Granlund is an easy replacement (Gaudette, Miller at C) but by losing Pouliot and Hutton we desperately need some more decent defencemen.

They (along with Gudbranson) were terrible at times and obviously our 3 worst compared to the better guys like Edler, Stetcher and Tanev, but we need to replace 3 D now up and down the lineup. Ideally one top-4, one bottom pairing guy who can play 20 mins in case of injury and one depth 6-7th guy. Got to get cracking JB.

Pouliot is no loss. Hutton has no consistency. IMO we need not 3 D just 2, if we re-sign Schenn.

Edler - Tanev

Hughes - Myers?

Nemeth? - Stecher

Juolevi Schenn?

Teves Rafferty

Sautner Biega

Edited by Cocolocci

We are overflowing on forwards right now. 15 NHL guys (including Eriksson). I still think they're looking for a trade match. Some forwards for some defense. Right now, we're looking at:

Edler-Tanev

?-Stetcher

?-?

Biega

Assuming Hughes will likely make it, we still gotta get 2. Maybe 3 dmen if we're gonna carry 8. I don't suppose we're gonna carry 2 Rookies on defense to start this season.  With 17 mil and change worth of cap space, maybe we aren't gonna sign Tyler Myers after all if he's gonna eat up almost half of it.

10 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Hutton can still come back as has been stated, but losing Gaunce and Pouliot really isn't anything. Feel like Gaunce didn't get a fair shake but at the end of the day we have dozens of bottom 6 forwards so it's not a big deal. Pouliot was poop. Interested to see what the team does with Goldy. He was given every opportunity to make it work with our two best offensive weapons and just seemed to struggle with his compete level. I am not against giving him another look, especially if we strike out on Nyquist or another top 6 forward in Free Agency. But honestly I'd rather package him with other pieces to improve the defense.

OF all those released Hutton is the biggest surprise. If he is not resigned then Benning has to find another LD. Hutton had a solid season last year as he played many games at TOI + 22 minutes. It is the history of his development that he was forced into TOI he was not ready for. It might cost him his spot as a result. Suggesting that Sautner can replace Hutton is a leap. He might not be worth the $4.1 M that arbitration would have given him but I hope Benning can get him for less in FA. 

Like all of those released it is not all about how they stack up within the roster or the depth chart, these players are open to compete from other UFA's. Granlund was asked to play on the d-side of the puck last year and had little offensive opportunity. He is a good hockey player. His time might be up in Van but the internal compete might demand that his TOI go to a younger player with more upside. Guance strikes me as a player who would not adjust his game to fit the Vancouver need. He had to bring more physicality into his game and obviously was not willing to do that. Big Mac was and Gaunce is gone. Poulliot never regained the confidence in his game and should be gone.  

8 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Give Sautner the opportunity of 4 consistent 70 game seasons in the NHL like Hutton has had and you will probably see more points out of Sautner.

in Sautners .

If your looking for averages, a full season for Sautner would probably be better, especially if lines up with some of the players Ben has. (Over 24 points)

Regardless Sautner moves and covers in his own end, and has far better gap coverage than Hutton.

i do think Sautner would beat out Hutton for a position this season regardless.

As much as I think Hutton was a victim of poor development it does not change the fact that there has to be TOI available for players like Sautner and Brisbois to find out if they can play in the NHL. Of the 2 Saunter has had more opportunity and shown he can. Hutton was a 2LD and Saunter has not projected that but can be a 3LD this fall. Does Benning see Hughes as a 2LD coming out of the gate? We know that at some point Joulevi comes in on the left side. What a chess game. 

I thought that Hutton would eventually go but hoped he could be moved for another asset. The fallout from this is I hope, he is resigned and traded when Joulevi comes knocking. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

As much as I think Hutton was a victim of poor development it does not change the fact that there has to be TOI available for players like Sautner and Brisbois to find out if they can play in the NHL. Of the 2 Saunter has had more opportunity and shown he can. Hutton was a 2LD and Saunter has not projected that but can be a 3LD this fall. Does Benning see Hughes as a 2LD coming out of the gate? We know that at some point Joulevi comes in on the left side. What a chess game. 

I thought that Hutton would eventually go but hoped he could be moved for another asset. The fallout from this is I hope, he is resigned and traded when Joulevi comes knocking. 

I’ve been saying Hutton time with us was limited for some time, was hoping we’d trade him too but perhaps Benning thinks a 4 plus salary is too rich for what he offers on the L side and doesn’t want to be stuck with him if OJ pushes into the lineup.   Thing is Edler isn’t a long term solution either....thinking he must have other plans obviously...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I like Hutton he’s a character and I think his teammates like him. Unfortunately he’s a 5-7 Dman on a playoff team (which the Canucks are now) Hutton in top 4 just isn’t good enough and too boot making 4-4.2 million just doesn’t cut it. Also Troy Stecher top 4 isn’t good enough. 

I hope they can sign Hutton at a lower rate and be a 5-7 Dman. The main reason because Hutton brings a Xfactor to the locker room which is needed imo.

21 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Jordan Subban not qualified in Toronto. That little depth on defense there, and he still doesn't make the cut.

Remember when everyone was freaking out that we were letting him go too soon?

Oh no..... not THE Jordan Subban :frantic:

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1