The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks extend qualifying offers to 8 players

4 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

I like Hutton he’s a character and I think his teammates like him. Unfortunately he’s a 5-7 Dman on a playoff team (which the Canucks are now) Hutton in top 4 just isn’t good enough and too boot making 4-4.2 million just doesn’t cut it. Also Troy Stecher top 4 isn’t good enough. 

I hope they can sign Hutton at a lower rate and be a 5-7 Dman. The main reason because Hutton brings a Xfactor to the locker room which is needed imo.

Hold on Harry,.

is this not the fault with on fan base ?

Likeable guys,.. he’s a Character,

what next, great smile, nice flow?

Ben has had the time and opportunity here to show his worth. And in that time has NOT acclaimed to the level of hockey, that the time given to him was granted.

We have the right Character in the room.. A cast of vets who bring determination and ethic. Acquiring a player like JT Miller is supporting that cast.

Yes, I too like Hutton..  but his level of play after his apprenticeship here does not warrant us keeping him.

Having a good prospect in for his turn now, possibly even on his first contract, benefits and saves us more than having Hutton possibly become an overpaid plug.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Hold on Harry,.

Ben has had the time and opportunity here to show his worth. And in that time has NOT acclaimed to the level of hockey, that the time given to him was granted.

We have the right Character in the room.. A cast of vets who bring determination and ethic. Acquiring a player like JT Miller is supporting that cast.

Yes, I too like Hutton..  but his level of play after his apprenticeship here does not warrant us keeping him.

Having a good prospect in for his turn now, possibly even on his first contract, benefits and saves us more than having Hutton possibly become an overpaid plug.

Agree... Time for every to stand up and be counted...

He may have reached his floor, and if so for him. Like Hutton, like all off the Canucks, but reality is we need a stronger defence.

If the players aren't doing it, we must upgrade...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Hold on Harry,.

I agree... your right...I just get lost in having empathy which I shouldn’t becuz it’s just overpaid people playing a sporting game.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I agree... your right...I just get lost in having empathy which I shouldn’t becuz it’s just overpaid people playing a sporting game.

I think it’s all good to be chasing our dreams..

i beleive the saying goes,

shoot for the moon,

and of you miss, 

fall amongst the stars.

Might not be over for Ben.. a new chapter perhaps.

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2019 at 4:24 PM, EternalCanuckFan said:

I personally wish Gaunce was qualified but clearly he's not viewed highly by this management group.  If anything, Gaunce seems like a good depth player that could be kept around for depth with the Comets.  Are there that much better UFA depth Cs or LWs available?  I suppose the Canucks could still re-sign Gaunce but looks like it's a farewell to another former 1st Rd pick.

The Canucks are heading into free agency with quite a few contract spots open so it will be very interesting to see how things unfold.

Let the comets sign gaunce then, he’s not skilled enough to be in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Cocolocci said:

Pouliot is no loss. Hutton has no consistency. IMO we need not 3 D just 2, if we re-sign Schenn.

Edler - Tanev

Hughes - Myers?

Nemeth? - Stecher

Juolevi Schenn?

Teves Rafferty

Sautner Biega

Schenn brought some much needed stability, calmness and grit to the D this season. IMHO, he's well-deserving of being resigned if only for the short-term

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Boudrias said:

As much as I think Hutton was a victim of poor development it does not change the fact that there has to be TOI available for players like Sautner and Brisbois to find out if they can play in the NHL. Of the 2 Saunter has had more opportunity and shown he can. Hutton was a 2LD and Saunter has not projected that but can be a 3LD this fall. Does Benning see Hughes as a 2LD coming out of the gate? We know that at some point Joulevi comes in on the left side. What a chess game. 

I thought that Hutton would eventually go but hoped he could be moved for another asset. The fallout from this is I hope, he is resigned and traded when Joulevi comes knocking. 

Honestly, QH is so important to our future, I think he gets the EP treatment. They weren't sure if EP could play C in the NHL but they basically gave him 1C minutes right off the hop to start the year. I suppose QH is a little different in the sense that Green has already seen him play a handful of games where his minutes went from something like 14 to 21 over that stretch of games. But I like putting these kids in positions to succeed. Especially guys with top end skill...

...I think the ghost of Botchford will live on! There will be hell to pay if Quinn Hughes isn't on the 1st #@$%'n power play unit!

5 hours ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Schenn brought some much needed stability, calmness and grit to the D this season. IMHO, he's well-deserving of being resigned if only for the short-term

Absolutely. I was really surprised. Would like to see him another 1-2y if he can compete like last season. :wub:

On 6/25/2019 at 4:26 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Jordan Subban not qualified in Toronto. That little depth on defense there, and he still doesn't make the cut.

Remember when everyone was freaking out that we were letting him go too soon?

Subban is a player who should've been a forward. 

Great offensive instincts but his defensive play really lacked effectiveness.

• Upvote 1