The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Jim Benning

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Jim Benning  

460 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for or against the Managment of the Canucks team under Jim Benning?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/2019 at 10:51 AM

3 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

He comes with flaws and has made mistakes but his strength in drafting far outweigh those flaws IMO. Hopefully he has learned from those mistakes.

Sweet man, do you put that on your resume?

Smart money had Jimmy B gone by Xmas....

https://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/dont-bet-on-it-bclc-backs-off-option-to-wager-on-canucks-gm-jim-bennings-future/wcm/f1fc74ed-5bfa-4a18-ad9f-ff4bea0742d0

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Lol. Because he missed the playoffs during the rebuild.  Check. Got it . 

6 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Want to show ur work or just make blanket statements? How exactly is the rebuild a "mess". Lol

So many terrible pick ups....     Lets just name a few.....

Loui E

Sutter

Schaller

Beagle

Guddy

Del Z

Philip Holm

Gagne

Megma

Myers sucks so i really hope JB doesn't get imbide to much this weekend and do something crazy like sign Myers......

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Loui E

Sutter

Schaller

Beagle

Guddy

Del Z

Philip Holm

Gagne

Megma

Myers sucks so i really hope JB doesn't get imbide to much this weekend and do something crazy like sign Myers......

How has any of those guys made the rebuild a "mess" exactly? Could be argued they have nor been great pickups , but what does that have to do with the fact we have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL , and lots of cap space with very few guys under contract when guys like Hughes and Pettersson need new deals . 

Still not seing it man. U will have to do better then that to say the rebuild is a mess. Its not even close to a mess . We are not even close to the average rebuild time of 7 years , and have a brand new drafted core for the most part with very few contracts that will have any real effect on in . Next year or two and we are in playoff conversation......so......

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Loui E

Sutter

Schaller

Beagle

Guddy

Del Z

Philip Holm

Gagne

Megma

So you're criticizing the rebuild but, out of the other side of your mouth, you're criticizing the quality of players that were brought in as stop gaps for the interim? Would you have rather they been better quality impact players, thus jeopardizing our position in the draft and potentially costing us the young core we currently have?

Pick a lane.

If the rebuild is a mess, why do the Canucks have one of the best young cores in the NHL? This is a team that could very well likely have three Calder candidates in a row... but, yeah, the rebuild is failing miserably.

Edited by nowhereman
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, cuporbust said:

He was supposed to be able to predict he would lose Sven to a head hit and post concussion syndrome? Markstrom would get injured in the skills competition? Virtanen would fracture a rib ? Stetcher to a concussion? Roussel to a freak knee injury?  Common man. U are blaming Benning as if he should have seen these injuries coming ? 

Those were the “IR mainstays” I was referring to?

51 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

How has any of those guys made the rebuild a "mess" exactly? Could be argued they have nor been great pickups , but what does that have to do with the fact we have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL , and lots of cap space with very few guys under contract when guys like Hughes and Pettersson need new deals . 

Still not seing it man. U will have to do better then that to say the rebuild is a mess. Its not even close to a mess . We are not even close to the average rebuild time of 7 years , and have a brand new drafted core for the most part with very few contracts that will have any real effect on in . Next year or two and we are in playoff conversation......so......

During a rebuild you're supposed to go with career AHL'ers and low cost single season UFA's to ensure you win no games at all, only to lose the lottery. How you reach the cap floor with that method I haven't figured out yet.

:lol:

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Sure glad I don’t have any of that smart money to throw away. :bigblush:

Okay cheerleader, if Benning is so astute why didn't he merely offer Anders Lee a FA contract? Size, scoring, injury free and top six player on a good team? At 28 he s only a year and a bit older than Miller and is a perennial 30 - 40 goal scorer. Why not offer him 6.5 mil a season and give him a clause? That would only be 2 mil a season more than Beagle. 

AND he could have saved a 1rst, 3rd and prospect.

Tell me that is a worse deal than anything else?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Baggins said:

During a rebuild you're supposed to go with career AHL'ers and low cost single season UFA's to ensure you win no games at all, only to lose the lottery. How you reach the cap floor with that method I haven't figured out yet.

Lol. Ya seems to have worked out in Buffalo and Edmonton :lol:  The worst part is there are plenty of Nucks fans that a dead serious about that plan. 

Edited by cuporbust

8 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Actually that is the hard way, the easy way is you trade off the good goalies that way the rest of the team can be reasonably decent. Just look at what bad goal tending did to the Oilers, Avalanche 2 years ago, Ottawa when Anderson was hurt and before Nilsson got there or even SanJose. St Louis is another good example of a really good team with bad goal tending. DFL in January.

The team does nt need to jettison everyone to tank or even have just AHLer's, just sub par goaies.

Just now, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Actually that is the hard way, the easy way is you trade off the good goalies that way the rest of the team can be reasonably decent. Just look at what bad goal tending did to the Oilers, Avalanche 2 years ago, Ottawa when Anderson was hurt and before Nilsson got there or even SanJose. St Louis is another good example of a really good team with bad goal tending. DFL in January.

The team does nt need to jettison everyone to tank or even have just AHLer's, just sub par goaies.

I think he was being facetious 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Okay cheerleader, if Benning is so astute why didn't he merely offer Anders Lee a FA contract? Size, scoring, injury free and top six player on a good team? At 28 he s only a year and a bit older than Miller and is a perennial 30 - 40 goal scorer. Why not offer him 6.5 mil a season and give him a clause? That would only be 2 mil a season more than Beagle. 

AND he could have saved a 1rst, 3rd and prospect.

Tell me that is a worse deal than anything else?

Maybe he did make an offer for Lee. If he did and offered what you say he is worth he probably got turned down. 

27 minutes ago, nowhereman said:

If the rebuild is a mess, why do the Canucks have one of the best young cores in the NHL? This is a team that could very well likely have three Calder candidates in a row... but, yeah, the rebuild is failing miserably.

Do they? In Vancouver we think so but  how much better than other teams? This is just the best young core this losing team has had in 12 years. As a matter of fact it is the first time since before Burke the young core was ALL the team has, every other young core developed under a superior veteran forwards and leadership, all this team has is these young guys they will have to lean on, like what happened to Edmonton and Buffalo. Colorado had to go through two rebuilds to build up a mid aged core and now they can bring in younger players to play under their studs.

3 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Maybe he did make an offer for Lee. If he did and offered what you say he is worth he probably got turned down. 

Why would any player want to turn down playing in this paradise on this fantastic team? ;D

Hey there are a few over 33 yr olds that are FA's and they could use 5 or 6 mil a season....

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy

5 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Well Benning could have gone with Shinkaruk, Jansen, Gaunce, and Corrado. It would have been so much more successful. I find it funny they wanted Benning to intentionally tank the team, yet are angry the team hasn't been successsful the past four years. I suppose it's because it's just not bad the way they wanted it to be bad.

Yeah exactly.  Its irrational and irritating 

• Upvote 3