The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Jim Benning

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Jim Benning  

460 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for or against the Managment of the Canucks team under Jim Benning?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/2019 at 10:51 AM

2 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I'm just showing if my hypothesis is true that the Canuck Fan base on this forum is being trolled by a few minorities and that if I'm right most of the Canuck fan base is actually happy with the management of this team. That the fire JB, JB can't asset manage, JB can't make a trade, JB is trying to save his jobs so on and so forth is all being typed by the same minority. I would argue the same 15 or so members of this forum based on my count.

Largely accurate, and some of them post in (extreme) volume when they get onto something.  There is also a group of "squishies" or bandwagoners who will follow trends.  If the anti group is harping bigtime on something they'll join in the chorus, but if things are going well they'll flip the switch and join in the accolades.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Lol how is my point mute? All the people we traded picks for contributed nothing to our organization.

There is no way of telling how those picks would turn out but based on the law of averages, at least one or two would contribute vs the ZERO the trade pieces contributed.

You can’t look at what other teams drafted with those picks because the Canucks would have taken different players but I am sure there are some decent prospects from those picks. While none of the older players we traded for I would call decent.

Mcaan is already a top 6 player in Pittsburgh, he is fitting in quite well and he is much younger than Pearson so expect him to eclipse him soon. 

Father McKenzie, writing the words
Of a sermon that no one will hear
No one comes near

29 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Lol how is my point mute? All the people we traded picks for contributed nothing to our organization.

There is no way of telling how those picks would turn out but based on the law of averages, at least one or two would contribute vs the ZERO the trade pieces contributed.

You can’t look at what other teams drafted with those picks because the Canucks would have taken different players but I am sure there are some decent prospects from those picks. While none of the older players we traded for I would call decent.

Mcaan is already a top 6 player in Pittsburgh, he is fitting in quite well and he is much younger than Pearson so expect him to eclipse him soon. 

Did you really write McCann is a top six forward.

First you can't spell his name right and second his body of work does not prove he is a top 6 forward at all

• Cheers 1

Lol at this Arrow guy..... 

Spin it all you want, but facts are none of the trades Benning made helped our team. ZERO. In FIVE years.

I am not a prophet but I am pretty confident that AT LEAST one of those picks, probably a few, would help our team a lot more than ZERO. 

And no, we wouldn’t have picked the same players those teams drafted so stop trying to break them down and look at the big picture.

Which is trades. 0 meaning ZERO value.

Draft picks we will assign an X value since we will never know the true value. But if Benning is as good at drafting as you apologists claim X is definitely much greater than 0.

Jeez. Sorry I can’t stop laughing at how much spinning this Arrow guy is doing. Lol. It’s almost as bad as Benning’s wheel spinning for 5 years.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wat 3

44 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Why can't I look at what other gms picked as possible prospects. It is what's available at that pick. Furthermore, your arguement could lead to a point that Jim would have picked a better player thus you would trust Jim at scouting players. Thus leading one to believe that Linden vey or any player he believes is worth a 2nd or 3rd could be a decent prospect. Might almost be that you believe in JB after all

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Arrow 1983 said:

Why can't I look at what other gms picked as possible prospects. It is what's available at that pick. Furthermore, you arguement could lead to a point that Jim would have picked a better player this you would trust Jim at scouting players. Thus leading one to believe that Linden vey or any player he believes is worth a 2nd or 3rd could be a decent prospect. Might almost be that you believe in JB after all

I don’t believe in him, but you apologists do. I am just saying if they are as good as you claimed, the X value assigned to the picks would be greater than the ZERO contributions the trades made to our bottom line. And it is zero. In 5 years of trades to boot. Pretty piss poor if you ask me.

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Spin it all you want, but facts are none of the trades Benning made helped our team. ZERO. In FIVE years.

I am not a prophet but I am pretty confident that AT LEAST one of those picks, probably a few, would help our team a lot more than ZERO. 

And no, we wouldn’t have picked the same players those teams drafted so stop trying to break them down and look at the big picture.

Draft picks we will assign an X value since we will never know the true value. But if Benning is as good at drafting as you apologists claim X is definitely much greater than 0.

Jeez. Sorry I can’t stop laughing at how much spinning this Arrow guy is doing. Lol. It’s almost as bad as Benning’s wheel spinning for 5 years.

Are you saying that GMs should never trade draft picks. And if this is not what you are saying then when should teams trade draft picks

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I'm just showing if my hypothesis is true that the Canuck Fan base on this forum is being trolled by a few minorities and that if I'm right most of the Canuck fan base is actually happy with the management of this team. That the fire JB, JB can't asset manage, JB can't make a trade, JB is trying to save his jobs so on and so forth is all being typed by the same minority. I would argue the same 15 or so members of this forum based on my count.

I was quite surprised when a whole thread is made talking about "Benning deserves better" as a clear majority defends him in absurdum. At least on this forum. Even in areas where his management isn't so good. 

I can't vote either because I know too little about him. He seems to be good at scouting and listens to the people scouting for him. 

9 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

I don't spin anything I read what is written and see the flaws in the argument not my fault I'm an educated individual. Oh wait it is.

9 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Keep riding him

He'll pull the "Surrey is the best city in the world" line soon.

"Low crime rates, worlds best beaches, a plethora of six figure jobs at every 7-11"

711 job oppurtunities rofl, world's best biatches in Surrey I have to agree with though!

Edited by 6string
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

The flaw in your arguement is simple you say there is zero value in those trades. 

1, some of those players are here

2, some of those players where place holders 

3, most of those players where prospects. They where not sure things. In the Nhl most prospect bust some are hits rare ones are stars. 

And your biggest flaw is your trying to make a rebuild a science.

• Cheers 1

I was very pro benning up until draft day.  I dont know how i feel about Podkolzin, and im sketchy about the miller trade when we had a glut of forwards and not enough defense. Cant help but be afraid miller will pan out as a “loui” as opposed to top six. 

Im on the fence, but if jb overpays a free agent defenseman, i think hes gone next year. I cant see it going well. 

Could just as easily be a string of brilliant moves. Time will tell. 

On the fence

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Jim's not perfect, colour me shocked.

He was handed a nearly totally bare prospect cupboard. I do think Linden made his job harder. We had no positional lotto luck. 

But despite that there is reason to be pretty excited about what this team might be 2 years from now. Teams need at least 5 core guys: Demko, Hughes, Boeser, Petey and now Podkolzin are very likely those guys brought in under his watch. 

Jim's biggest error is certainly the Loui contract, and moving a few too many picks. I'd argue that he made good on the Guddy experiment.

His biggest failing may be that he never pulled off a "block buster" deal. But was there ever really one possible?

He seems to bring out the worst in some posters. 

With the totally unrealistic view points of some of our most 'loyal' posters here, could you imagine the reaction to a block buster deal?

Unless its McD of Biega and a 6th, he will be torn to pieces....

Even so they'd argue that 6th should have been kept at we could have drafted the next Shea Weber with that...

Regarding the question, don't think he ever had the pieces to make that sort of a deal. Kessler said what he wanted, and even if the Sedins had accepted to be shifted, they were tied together and $14 mill is hard to swing... As for the rest, don't see us having the pieces.... Unless it was something around Bo and Edler.... a few years back.

• Upvote 1

There is some who want to compare us to Toronto but keep in mind The Canucks recently went to a cup finally and the last Managment emptied the cupboards to do so as any GM would when a team was that successful and going for it all. Toronto, hasn't seen a cup final in how many years. The truth is with their cap issues, their defence and goaltending will take years to fix. There is no science to a rebuild and there is no better then the other. Anyone who thinks Toronto is any closer then the Canucks at winning a Cup hasn't looked at there team that closely. 

Truthfully I think this is where this BS stems from. People look at Toronto and say why aren't we closer. 

People we are we are so much closer 

No cap issues ( this is a big deal in the new nhl)

Our top 6 can compete with the best of them.

Our bottom 6 can shut down the best of them.

Are defences needs 2 pieces a guy to relieve pressure off of Edler and another shut down D to relieve pressure on Tanev.

If the rumours are true and now with out qualifying Hutton it seems JB is doing exactly this on July 1st.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Copy and pasted from another thread but applies here as well. Totally against this regime. It’s has been ran really really bad for the past 5 years and the miller overpayment doesn’t do anything to alleviate my fears. This team isn’t winning jack until he is gone. 

I don’t see how people can defend him. Going into our 6th season. We made the playoffs once and a grand total of 0 of his trades will have any bearing on our 6th season and whether or not we make the playoffs or not.

clendenning, Bonino, Sbisa, Prust, Leipsic, Vey, Dowd, Poulliot, Baertschi, gudbranson, Granlund , Dorsett, motte, etc will have basically no role in our success of the 6th season. So Benning has been basically spinning his wheels and chasing his tail like a dog for 5 years. How anyone can defend trading high 2nd rnd picks and 3rd rnd picks and much younger prospects for that stuff is beyond me. I know for sure that a few of those picks, or in the very least Mcaan, would contribute to our 6th season and beyond.

Just to put things into perspective. We basically traded...

Mcaan, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd,2nd, 3rd, and a conditional 1st with not much of condition for Pearson, Vey, Dorsett, Baertschi, and Miller.  Sorry, but that’s terrible asset management. If baerschit goes on LTI like he might, even worse.

Where do these thoughts in your head come from? Want me to pick apart most of what you said and ask you what you'd have done assuming you put yourself properly in the place of JB and in his head as he took over a aging seasonal team rivaling other clubs with ntc's and nmc's and not much in the farm and doing your best to try and make it all work until their all gone and some deals he made, made sense at the time. Like Vey, who was lighting it up one down and may end up helping if he could make the transition but i would have given him a chance too. Guddy the same as in physical play and failed to at least be effective, LE looked like a shoe in line mate for the twins, baer has had plain bad luck, dorsett turned it up a notch then injured too. Last is Pearson and he's turned out well with Bo so far... plus Tanev and Edler going down a lot, you don't ask much do you?

• Cheers 3