The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) best and worst Vancouver media members

Krumpalicious

I apologize if I leave out any names but off the top of my head these are who I can remember. But who do you think is the most reliable and respected media member(s). As well as who is just out to lunch and frankly, even annoying with their coverage of the Canucks. 

Like i said off the top of my head I’m thinking of. Sekeras, price, Dan murphy, Ed willes, Ian Macintyre, riccio, janda, sat shaw, Alex auld, walker, rintoul, irfaan gafaar. (Sorry is there’s spelling errors)

my opinion is I really like listening to canucks central at noon with sat shaw and Alex auld. 

And  I think sekeres and price and irfan gafaar are the most annoying. Irf just seems out to lunch and leches off others info. And sekeres and prices callers are just annoying homer Canucks fans. 

• Upvote 1

Alex Auld gives pretty good, level headed analysis. I can't stand to listen to the show he's on though because the guy he's paired with is a blathering idiot who thinks he knows everything. Annoying to the point of unlistenable.  Although I could say that about most radio hosts.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Auld is great to listen to. Not at all sensationalistic and conveys his thoughts very clearly and concisely.

i like auld too. don’t care for cybulski and dhaliwal. too much ego and bickering.  mcintyre and murphy are okay to listen too.

Edited by smithers joe
  • Upvote 1

I enjoy:

Sportsnet Starting Lineup: Cybulski, Solkowski, Dhaliwal

Halford & Brough (when they arnt being super negative/cheerleading with  their colleagues on the radio station

Sat and Alex on Canucks Central

Ferraro

Dislike:

Jeff Paterson (most of the time).  

The ones that don't have balanced reporting but instead rely on relentless negativity to bring themselves revenue are cancer. We all know who they are. I feel that this inglorious form of craptalking started with the late evening sports talk guys in the early 90s, and it metastasized into 24/7 clickbait yellow journalism and twitter mob grooming.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Auld and Sats IMO are must listen if you're a diehard canucks fan. They cover everything from current players and in depth in prospects, pretty much any question you have about prospects, they'll cover it and have great guests like Biech, Constanino etc. I find the banter between Sats and Jang quite entertaining. Don Taylor is always entertaining as well, and defintely Ray Ferraro. Ferraro's opinion, you may agree or disagree, but the guy's insight and analysis is top notch

The guys I can't stand are Jeff Patterson, he acts like he knows a lot, but he really doesn't. Sekeres is just annoying, and the Moj seriously needs to find another occupation. Massive homer, and whatsup with the football analogy on a hockey radio show? Want to talk football, stick to football or go have a football show

Really man, what's the point. Sports media are in the entertainment business. As a fan we either love, or hate them. These people are doing their best, sharing their opinions and insights about a team, for the most part, they support. Let them do their thing without being so judgmental.

Gaffar is particularly annoying to me because you can tell he just guesses, he doesn't have any real info at all. 

After that anyone on 1040.

Edited by Jimmy McGill

Folks I like: Ray Ferraro, Rick Dhaliwal, Jeff Paterson, Ian MacIntyre, Kevin Woodley, Jon Abbott, Jawn Jang, Auldy, Satiar Shah, Harman Dayal, Daniel Wagner (Pass it to Bulis is a great read still and fills a bit of a hole left by Botchford, who was my favorite Canucks media personality RIP Botch), Cory Hergott (his Comets work on CanucksArmy is A+ and he deserves more recognition, he goes by Comets Cory on twitter).

The worst: JD Burke (He literally muttered in the lastest episode of his TSN podcast RinkWide how much he hates to "cover this team"), Price & Sekeres (the bitterness is hard to stomach), Brough & Halford (They can be enjoyable but they also get lost in the negativity), Tony Gallagher, Dave Pratt (oh boy were his takes bad)

Edited by Quantum
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, YEGCanuck said:

Really man, what's the point. Sports media are in the entertainment business. As a fan we either love, or hate them. These people are doing their best, sharing their opinions and insights about a team, for the most part, they support. Let them do their thing without being so judgmental.

I'd say marketing more than entertainment