The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cap Space

Rate this topic

Was a bit bored and created a document showing what the top 25 players based off P/PG (over the last 3 seasons) make. There is a lots of talks of what a player is worth and there are some definite steals and some over payments. Contracts are shown in a % of that years cap space. 

Ovechkin at 9.5M AAV is a great deal imo, However when he signed that deal in 2008 he took 16.8% of that years cap space. That percentage in 2019 terms would mean he would get 13.7 M (the highest of anyone)

Marchand has had one of the highest P/PG and was signed for cheap at 6.1M in 2017 (8.1% of the teams cap space). At that percentage today he would make 6.65M (huge steal).

This made for fun but shows great contracts and provides some depth of what a player should make when compared to these top 24. I say 24 as Panarin is up for a deal. The average % cap space allotted to these players by the way is 11.5%.

contracts.thumb.png.45201e3f43cbc1f85d6e53243eee9fff.png

Edited by PunjabiCanucks
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

I'd say that Bergeron, considering his impact to his team other than just scoring points, is the best value.  

I think the Blues proved the game is a lot more than scoring points. 

A guy like Bo is a steal for what he's paid.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Great research! I love how you also accounted for inflation by looking at the percentage of the cap numbers.

Thanks man, there's been talks of how cap space for contracts signed should be on % vs dollar value to account for cap space being changed.

Pettersson and Marner were next in line and considering the average % was 11.5% , that works out to 9.3M in todays terms.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'd say that Bergeron, considering his impact to his team other than just scoring points, is the best value.  

I think the Blues proved the game is a lot more than scoring points. 

A guy like Bo is a steal for what he's paid.  

For sure, this just shows points and doesnt take into consideration Goals vs Assists but also play in the defensive zone. Someone like Bergeron is a steal considering what he does for his 2 way game. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

For sure, this just shows points and doesnt take into consideration Goals vs Assists but also play in the defensive zone. Someone like Bergeron is a steal considering what he does for his 2 way game. 

Figure a way to factor in a player's 200 foot game, and how hard they are to play against and you could make a pretty penny with NHL clubs.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Figure a way to factor in a player's 200 foot game, and how hard they are to play against and you could make a pretty penny with NHL clubs.  

Hahaha, I have trouble enough understanding Corsi's . For players it would be various factors for salary.

Goals, Assists, 5 vs 5, PP, PK, Potential (this would be hard), Corsi stats

This is why I think we stay clear of a guy like Panarin.   He barely broke top 20 in scoring this season but I guarantee he's looking to get paid like a top 5 forward in the league percentage-wise.   Cap going up in the future is no guarantee as we learned this year.  

The new catch phrase is quickly becoming 'percentage of cap space' it seems as it makes the inflation relative. 

• Upvote 3