The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is the Loui Eriksson deal already done?

When I heard the Canucks were looking at signing Gustav Nyqvist and Tyler Myers I wondered to myself... where is the salary cap space coming from?  Having signed Edler and adding J.T. Millers 5.2 million cap hit.  Now the Luongo penalty and Boesers contract coming.  Their salary cap room is quickly running out!

I think the Canucks have already agreed to a trade for Loui Eriksson to a team like the Senators for a late round pick and are waiting until July 1st when his bonus is paid out to consummate the deal.  Loui’s time in Vancouver has been a disaster, but I still think he has value around the league at 3 million per season.  Teams needing to reach the cap floor are also not opposed to the 6 million cap hit.  He is a buy low candidate for teams that feel he could recapture some of his offensive while providing some veteran leadership.

I’m expecting this to happen July 1st.

your thoughts people?

what other players are you expecting to be wearing another teams jersey next season?  Tanev?  Sutter?  Spooner?

Unfortunately I think that's wishful thinking.  The Canucks are stuck with him until he either eventually gets bought out or the contract runs out.

Any team looking to get to the floor can find better players for $6 million.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Unfortunately I think that's wishful thinking.  The Canucks are stuck with him until he either eventually gets bought out or the contract runs out.

Pretty much this. Dumping that contract will cost a decent asset unfortunately. Any team needing to reach the cap floor has tons of options to get there, theres plenty of teams right now that are desperate to dump cap and are willing to pay to do so. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Loui’s time in Vancouver has been a disaster, but I still think he has value around the league at 3 million per season.

You think a 30pt player who brings little else to the team is value at 3mil? 

I mean Goldy essentially equaled his production with less games and spot ice-time for one-sixth of the salary. 

• Upvote 2

It's possible that the bonus is affecting a trade but I don't know if there's much of a market for Eriksson.  From the acquiring team's perspective, the main benefits of adding Eriksson to a team that needs to reach the cap floor are that his actual paid salary will be a lot lower than his cap hit and his contract is buy-out friendly from an actual cash standpoint.  Of the anchor contracts around the league, Eriksson's does seem to be a bit more palatable for a cash strapped team that needs to reach the floor, but I still can't see such a team willing to acquire Eriksson without some kind of sweetener.

The cap situation for all NHL teams is kind of a mystery right now so it's possible that just adding Eriksson to reach the cap floor may be attractive for a team like Ottawa but I'll believe it when I see it.  I'm curious if a team like Ottawa may be willing to accept a sweetener like Goldobin with Eriksson however.  I'm not sure where Goldobin fits on the roster this season and while it would be sad to see him dealt, if he has any value at all then I would be willing to add him as a sweetener to a team like Ottawa to take Eriksson.  The Senators need players anyway and even if Goldobin has had some struggles, he's still very talented and might do better out east.  Can't hurt to have a player like Chabot either.  Maybe adding Goldobin would help the Canucks receive a low pick in return to balance the deal.

19 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'm not sure thats true from a talent pov, there aren't a lot of top end guys just waiting to join Ottawa. But there are lots of 1 year deals to be had that are overpayments for sure. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not sure thats true from a talent pov, there aren't a lot of top end guys just waiting to join Ottawa. But there are lots of 1 year deals to be had that are overpayments for sure. 

Apparently you think more of Loui than most.

As for top end guys, nobody is looking to trade away top end guys with the exception of the bumbling Maple Leafs.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Apparently you think more of Loui than most.

As for top end guys, nobody is looking to trade away top end guys with the exception of the bumbling Maple Leafs.

Loui is still a decent contributor at 3 mil in real money and 6 cap. If you're a cheapie team he's a good add. But yeah sure you can throw 3 mil at Schenn and pay Talbot 5 more if you want to. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

24 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i think a loui move to the sens

will not net a low round draft pick in return

that level of pick is sure to go with loui in any move

what we learned so far this off season

is that cap space is being more highly valued now

It’s not THAT hard to reach the cap floor with the way salaries have gone.  Offensive players (as opposed to offensive contracted players) will tend to cost you a premium.  You STILL have to fill these spots with some kind of offensive talent.  A 3 million cash/salary defensive old winger who provides zero intensity  isn’t going to draw any interest from any team (at least not without unloading garbage back).  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It’s not THAT hard to reach the cap floor with the way salaries have gone.  Offensive players (as opposed to offensive contracted players) will tend to cost you a premium.  You STILL have to fill these spots with some kind of offensive talent.  A 3 million cash/salary defensive old winger who provides zero intensity  isn’t going to draw any interest from any team (at least not without unloading garbage back).  

loui is a solid defensive player

a good penalty killer

he is an nhl player

sorry you dislike him

but he still have some value

if nucks were not starting to feel salary cap strain

i'd be content to keep him on the team

regardless of what fans think of louie, he has been a good nhl player. 30 goals for boston the year before he came to us. hate the contract but louie has given us what he had to offer.  whatever happens, i thank him for coming here and trying to make a difference. it hasn’t worked out, but he isn’t an ogre.  fans are quick to label  guys when their skills  start to erode.  good luck to lou whatever happens. 

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Probably, but can they find them where they only have to pay 3 million per season?

The fact that he's only due 9 million after July 1st signing bonus, makes him a unique situation.

Eriksson isn't a bad player, he just hasn't performed at a 6 million level. If we had a 3 million cap hit with him, no one would really be complaining.

Regardless, even if he is in camp in September, if he gets outplayed, he'll be waived and assigned to Utica. Yes, we would eat 5 million cap hit, but as something that @Alflives has suggested, this may lead to him refusing to report and both sides agreeing terminate the contract. This scenario isn't all that common, but it wouldn't be unheard of either.

I think Eriksson would have trouble accepting the demotion and, considering he's been paid out about 75% of the contract on the front end, it might be enough for him to decide to retire from the NHL and play out the rest of his career overseas.

Not sure that his family would want to be in Utica with him.

• Upvote 2

Everybody keeps talking about trades to help "teams trying to reach the cap floor"............who do you actually think these teams are?

Even Ottawa has to sign 7 more players to fill out their roster and spending $12M or so will get them to the floor......how is that going to be a problem for them?

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think Eriksson would have trouble accepting the demotion and, considering he's been paid out about 75% of the contract on the front end, it might be enough for him to decide to retire from the NHL and play out the rest of his career overseas.

Not sure that his family would want to be in Utica with him.

That was the idea the Sabres had with Moulson, but he dropped his family in NYC and played out the final 2-2.5 years of his contract in the AHL.