The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is the Loui Eriksson deal already done?

2 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

When I heard the Canucks were looking at signing Gustav Nyqvist and Tyler Myers I wondered to myself... where is the salary cap space coming from?  Having signed Edler and adding J.T. Millers 5.2 million cap hit.  Now the Luongo penalty and Boesers contract coming.  Their salary cap room is quickly running out!

I think the Canucks have already agreed to a trade for Loui Eriksson to a team like the Senators for a late round pick and are waiting until July 1st when his bonus is paid out to consummate the deal.  Loui’s time in Vancouver has been a disaster, but I still think he has value around the league at 3 million per season.  Teams needing to reach the cap floor are also not opposed to the 6 million cap hit.  He is a buy low candidate for teams that feel he could recapture some of his offensive while providing some veteran leadership.

I’m expecting this to happen July 1st.

your thoughts people?

what other players are you expecting to be wearing another teams jersey next season?  Tanev?  Sutter?  Spooner?

Where does it say they are looking at signing both Nyqvist AND Myers.    Yes, it was reported that the team is interested in both player, but doesn't mean they will sign both.  Canucks are pursuing multiple avenue.....maybe a Nyqvist deal is contigent on Myers not signing or vice-versa.

After that bonus, Eriksson has a $6M cap hit this year, for a $1M salary. A team like Ottawa would save $5M in cash that it would normally have to spend.

The Sens are desperate for short-term cash saving solutions, they may take it. And their PK was really bad last year, Eriksson should give them some value on the ice as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

Everybody keeps talking about trades to help "teams trying to reach the cap floor"............who do you actually think these teams are?

Even Ottawa has to sign 7 more players to fill out their roster and spending $12M or so will get them to the floor......how is that going to be a problem for them?

Exactly!  

I'm telling you guys now, there is ZERO teams that will need help to reach the cap floor.  Even if it rises up to 60$ million this season, a quick look over at capfriendly.com and you see that the only teams below that number are 

Winnipeg Jets $57 mil, still have to sign Laine, Connor, and lots more, will end up somewhere around 18 million above cap floor.  

Florida Panthers, $57 mil, only have 14 players under contract, forget about it 

New Jersey, $55 mil, only 15 players under contract, forget about it 

Columbus Blue Jackets, $53 mil, Zach Werensky, Ryan Murray and Harrington are RFAs and will take them easily to the floor 

Ottawa Senators $48 mil, need to sign at least 5 more players.  

Colorado $42 mil, need to resign Rantanen, Kerfoot, Zadorov, Burakovsky, and will probably get a big name free agent, let's forget about them.  

So THE ONLY team that might need help reaching the cap floor will be the Ottawa Senators.  

Colin White and Cody Ceci are RFAs and will likely land $3 mil deals each.  That puts the Sens at $54 million with them needing an extra 3 forwards and one d-man.  

I think the only way that we get this done is if we pay Ottawa to take Louie off our hands in the form of a prospect or a draft pick.  

There are no other teams that are going to need any help reaching the cap floor!

My thinking for awhile is management has been waiting until July 1st to trade him once his bonus? is paid out so the team we trade him to won’t have to pay him as much as they would. 

Edited by Pears
typo correct

On 6/28/2019 at 10:58 AM, Fanuck said:

You think a 30pt player who brings little else to the team is value at 3mil? 

I mean Goldy essentially equaled his production with less games and spot ice-time for one-sixth of the salary. 

Points aren’t everything.  Eriksson does a lot of the little things well.  Defending and penalty killing.  Goldy is a liability out there.  

Loui is a solid 3rd line player now.  3 million is what they get paid.  Those of you that think he has negative value after July 1st are mistaken.  His value is low right now but that makes him attractive to teams that will operate way under the salary cap anyways.  A change of scenery is coming.

On 6/28/2019 at 10:53 AM, SabreFan1 said:

Unfortunately I think that's wishful thinking.  The Canucks are stuck with him until he either eventually gets bought out or the contract runs out.

Any team looking to get to the floor can find better players for $6 million.

Cap floor teams wouldn't be looking at him like that. It's 9 mill salary over 3 years. The 6 mil cap hit would be the attractive part. However, there doesn't seem to be any teams that need help reaching the floor, not even the Sens.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, shazzam said:

Cap floor teams wouldn't be looking at him like that. It's 9 mill salary over 3 years. The 6 mil cap hit would be the attractive part. However, there doesn't seem to be any teams that need help reaching the floor, not even the Sens.

Only takes one gm to see value in Loui

Edited by Sedintwinpowersactivate

3 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Only takes one gm to see value in Loui

Exactly.  His actual cost is very low after his bonus, and the guy still played a solid defensive game and contributed 3rd line points.  Besides that, if he wasn't motivated to be here (and clearly he was not), one has to wonder how he might perform when he actually wants to.  There is actual potential upside there still imo.

If the idea by Benning is to add 2 more impact players as he already indicated interest in, moving Loui's cap opens up all sorts of options for him. 

Edited by kloubek

Loui had 38% O zone starts and had a CF of 47% matching up against the opponents top players. He played mostly with Sutter until he got injured. He's a defensively responsible player who could conceivably garner more points if used in an offensive role. He's not as bad as people make him out to be. His low hits are an issue and his honesty to a Swedish reporter as well, but I can see a team taking a chance on him as his perceived value is low and the cost would be as well.

On 6/28/2019 at 1:37 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Exactly!  

I'm telling you guys now, there is ZERO teams that will need help to reach the cap floor.  Even if it rises up to 60$ million this season, a quick look over at capfriendly.com and you see that the only teams below that number are 

Winnipeg Jets $57 mil, still have to sign Laine, Connor, and lots more, will end up somewhere around 18 million above cap floor.  

Florida Panthers, $57 mil, only have 14 players under contract, forget about it 

New Jersey, $55 mil, only 15 players under contract, forget about it 

Columbus Blue Jackets, $53 mil, Zach Werensky, Ryan Murray and Harrington are RFAs and will take them easily to the floor 

Ottawa Senators $48 mil, need to sign at least 5 more players.  

Colorado $42 mil, need to resign Rantanen, Kerfoot, Zadorov, Burakovsky, and will probably get a big name free agent, let's forget about them.  

So THE ONLY team that might need help reaching the cap floor will be the Ottawa Senators.  

Colin White and Cody Ceci are RFAs and will likely land $3 mil deals each.  That puts the Sens at $54 million with them needing an extra 3 forwards and one d-man.  

I think the only way that we get this done is if we pay Ottawa to take Louie off our hands in the form of a prospect or a draft pick.  

There are no other teams that are going to need any help reaching the cap floor!

And no way is JB spending assets just to dump Loui, especially after Loui’s recent public whining, and hearing that whining has been going on behind doors for a full season.

end game for Loui is play in Utica or retire.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

And no way is JB spending assets just to dump Loui, especially after Loui’s recent public whining, and hearing that whining has been going on behind doors for a full season.

end game for Loui is play in Utica or retire.  

I’d be willing to bet that ownership doesn’t give a tiny rats butt about what he said to the press.  If there’s a reasonable way for the Canucks to rid themselves of his contract. They’ll do it. 

Its a business. Not junior high 

Edited by qwijibo

YES i agree that it is already tentatively done. JB will not want to move on some UFAs until the deal is sealed.

It will be something like:

To OTT: Loui + Goldy + 2020 4th

To VAN: Future considerations

This would give us the space to sign (for example):

Myers @ $6m per

Nyquist @ $6m per

Nemeth @ $3m per

Schenn @ $1.5m per

Possible roster:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Nyquist

Baer Sutter Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Motte

Leivo

Edler Stecher

Hughes Myers

Nemeth Tanev

Sautner Schenn

Marky

Demko

On 6/28/2019 at 11:03 AM, bree2 said:

anymore to the story (tale)  of Ericksson moving his family to Dallas?

I heard that rumour last week... hope it's pointing to reality of him moving on but it's still just a rumour unless someone has confirmed it now? (Hope so)

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

Loui had 38% O zone starts and had a CF of 47% matching up against the opponents top players. He played mostly with Sutter until he got injured. He's a defensively responsible player who could conceivably garner more points if used in an offensive role. He's not as bad as people make him out to be. His low hits are an issue and his honesty to a Swedish reporter as well, but I can see a team taking a chance on him as his perceived value is low and the cost would be as well.

He's had plenty of shots at offense here, not just the Sedins either so no he can go. Hopefully he has his trade list made up or waived... (crosses fingers)

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, iceman64 said:

He's had plenty of shots at offense here, not just the Sedins either so no he can go. Hopefully he has his trade list made up or waived... (crosses fingers)

I was responding to the idea that no one would want him. I would like him to move on as well because he doesn't fit on our bottom 6 even if he is a good defender. We need our match-up wingers to put the body on our opponents and wear them down.

32 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I was responding to the idea that no one would want him. I would like him to move on as well because he doesn't fit on our bottom 6 even if he is a good defender. We need our match-up wingers to put the body on our opponents and wear them down.

I want to get rid of him because he just doesn't care, and uses up cap we can use to get guys who do.  No need to have guys around who don't want to be here.

3m real money doesnt require a cap floor team.  It just requires a team that isn't near the cap and doesn't plan to be. 

They'd get a 3rd line defensive guy who can still contribute, with 2nd line potential if he decides to care about the remainder of his career. For 3m, that is a risk I think some GMs would be willing to take. The only issue here is that Benning is negotiating with no other hand to play so unless there are other teams in on Loui, the other GM is the one dictating the terms.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I want to get rid of him because he just doesn't care, and uses up cap we can use to get guys who do.  No need to have guys around who don't want to be here.

3m real money doesnt require a cap floor team.  It just requires a team that isn't near the cap and doesn't plan to be. 

They'd get a 3rd line defensive guy who can still contribute, with 2nd line potential if he decides to care about the remainder of his career. For 3m, that is a risk I think some GMs would be willing to take. The only issue here is that Benning is negotiating with no other hand to play so unless there are other teams in on Loui, the other GM is the one dictating the terms.

And if JB can’t trade Loui without adding assets, or retaining salary, the tell Loui he’s playing in Utica.  Make that guy ride buses, eat crappy food, share rooms on the road, and live in the middle of nowhere.  No more NHL first class life for him.  

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And if JB can’t trade Loui without adding assets, or retaining salary, the tell Loui he’s playing in Utica.  Make that guy ride buses, eat crappy food, share rooms on the road, and live in the middle of nowhere.  No more NHL first class life for him.  

He'd probably retire before that happened, que the april fools day joke 1 poster did..

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

He'd probably retire before that happened, que the april fools day joke 1 poster did..

Then Loui retires and his six million dollar cap hit comes off the books.  That’s the only end game I see coming from this.