The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Books on hockey? Looking for anything relating to tactics, strategy and analytics.

Rate this topic

I'm a big fan of hockey history or hockey stats books. If you're looking for a good autobiographical read, Ken Dryden's "The Game" is one of the best. Helps you understand the way the game was in the 70s.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, 112 said:

Hey-

I'm interested in learning more about the game I love. What are some books I should check out?

thanks,

Two books you should read...Ken Dryden’s it’s generally considered the hockey bible and also 99 Gretzky’s book.  The second one won’t be what you think it’s an insightful look at the history of the NHL through his eyes, modest to a fault.   Just for fun if you like the tough stuff read Proberts book, and Tiger Williams, both are fun reads.   Of those if I had to choose one id pick 99’s, because he was the best hockey player ever and probably ever.  Zero ego. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Two books you should read...Ken Dryden’s it’s generally considered the hockey bible and also 99 Gretzky’s book.  The second one won’t be what you think it’s an insightful look at the history of the NHL through his eyes, modest to a fault.   Just for fun if you like the tough stuff read Proberts book, and Tiger Williams, both are fun reads.   Of those if I had to choose one id pick 99’s, because he was the best hockey player ever and probably ever.  Zero ego. 

Dryden is brilliant.  Strongly recommend.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

I concur with 99. I particularly liked how some of the stories were about hockey outside the NHL. I think even a non-hockey fan would find this interesting to read. 

• Thanks 1

It's not a hockey book but there was a management book I read called the "No Asshole Rule" . 

The book talks about how you shouldn't have assholes in your team and the actual cost of having one.

There was a section that talked about fighting in hockey and Don Cherry's argument for it. But the book, if I recall, states none of those reasons were tangibly valid. I can't remember too much on anything else since I read that book 5 years ago.