The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Newer than the newest) 2019-2020 Time Capsule Prediction Thread

Rate this topic

Canorth

Canucks continue to improve, finish with about 85 points, but still miss playoffs.

Horvath named captain for opening night.

Pete if healthy gets 80-85 points.

Demko establishes himself as a solid NHL goalie getting 30 starts. 

Myers has a solid but unspectacular season.

Ferland has a solid season and threatens to score 20. 

Hughes shows lots of good things, but also has his share of struggles as he adapts to the demanding 82 game NHL schedule. 

Juolevi starts in Utica but gets some call-up games.

Top 5 players:

1 Petterson 29G 51A 80 PTS

2 Boeser      38G 34A 72 PTS

3 Horvat       31G 36A 67 PTS 

4 Miller         24G 28A 52 PTS

T5 Virtanan  23G 22A 45 PTS

T5 Ferland    25G 20A 45 PTS

Demko supplants himself as starter by mid February

Eriksson is traded to the Detroit Redwings by the end of November.

We finish the season with 94 PTS and are eliminated in the second round of the playoffs.

Edited by KanNuck

Canucks play most of its games without any major injury and that includes playoffs.  Minor injures might happen here or there but no major injuries like last few years.  They are overdue for a good year, injury-wise, allowing Utica Comets to develop their own prospects and gel as a team and be even stronger next season and make the team.  Some of Utica Comets players might stick, overtaking a few players in the depth chart.

Chris Tanev plays all 82 games for first time in his career.

We make the playoffs.

Eriksson is gone before the start of next season.

I won't be surprised if Markstrom allowed a few bad goals, paving the way for Demko to take over later in the year but still a very good 1B goalie.   

Edited by coolboarder

On 6/30/2019 at 9:48 PM, TimberWolf said:

Bo should finally be named captain but could go to EP as he was a Benning pick

EP will have a sophmore jinx season but still get 20 goals

Brock bounces back

Jake shows no significant improvement

OJ busts

Team will finish worse that last season as the goaltending will not bail the team out this time

goals scored to allowed ratio will be bottom 4

Benning signs ferland to an NTC deal and overpayment

Injuries and Gillis will continue to be the scapegoats 

Timberwolf you’ve been down on this team for as long as I can remember.   Are you stuck on our golden years with the Sedins as you grew up watching them and can’t see things for what they really are?  Already Miller has shown he’s more then worth the picks we gave up for him,  Benn is showing he’s very difficult to play against and why he was so good in MTL - Ferland will keep guys heads on a swivel and thinking twice about taking liberties on EP and Boeser, Myers is a huge upgrade - literally- and that we can score by committee - one of the key ingredients to a successful playoff run.   

You really think this team will do worse then last year?  Give your head a shake man, maybe go watch some Sedin or if you were three or four at the time some WCE era highlights.  This team was destined to bottom out after the mess MG left - one that didn’t allow his predecessor much chance of getting anything, from a top team too...

It takes time to get the 5-6 core guys in a rebuild plus 5-6 support guys.   Four drafts minimum, 6/7 on average - that is bottom five in the league for that many years to get your picks.  JB had managed it in four.   EP,Boeser, Demko, Hughes is five - Podz is likely six.  Then add Horvat the only decent piece we got from MG, paltry return, is 7 - then add Miller (a wise decision given how long it would take to draft and develop an equivalent player) who’s only two years older then Horvat, Myers, Benn, JV, Rousell, Sutter, Beagle, Pearson, Bear, Ferland and even LE and later OJ you end up with a good supporting cast.

AND he’s got a team for the next two years anyways, who’s top players cap wise are only 6 million.   How many teams league wide can say the same?   Even with one anchor in LE and the Luongo thing he’s created one of the best cap structures league wide.

There is more chances of us winning the cup this year then doing worse then last year.  Injuries won’t be a concern - Edler and Tanev minutes will go way down and help on both special teams has arrived and they will share the load - plus depth is no longer a concern.  I’m pretty sure we can get 94-104 points this year - and be a hard team to beat come playoff time. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, coolboarder said:

Canucks play most of its games without any major injury and that includes playoffs.  Minor injures might happen here or there but no major injuries like last few years.  They are overdue for a good year, injury-wise, allowing Utica Comets to develop their own prospects and gel as a team and be even stronger next season and make the team.  Some of Utica Comets players might stick, overtaking a few players in the depth chart.

Chris Tanev plays all 82 games for first time in his career.

We make the playoffs and Benning gladly give away his first round draft pick or keep the pick from the Miller's trade, depending on who is available and if his man is gone, he gives his picks to Tampa and take his chance for 2021 draft pick with better position than 2020 1st.

Eriksson is gone before the start of next season.

I won't be surprised if Markstrom allowed a few bad goals, paving the way for Demko to take over later in the year but still a very good 1B goalie.   

If we make the playoffs this year, which we will - we automatically lose our first rounder to TB, JB doesn’t have a choice, he can’t decide whether to defer the pick.   If we don’t make the playoffs we lose the pick the following year automatically. 

That's tg

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

If we make the playoffs this year, which we will - we automatically lose our first rounder to TB, JB doesn’t have a choice, he can’t decide whether to defer the pick.   If we don’t make the playoffs we lose the pick the following year automatically. 

Ok, thanks.  I'll edit my prediction in the time capsule.  I was thinking of Ottawa's situation in a trade whether to keep the pick or give it to Colorado for the 1st conditional.   It happened two seasons ago.  It was a lottery protected pick as a conditional trade.  So if they miss the playoffs, they can make those choice whether to keep it or give it to Tampa to complete the trade.  So therefore, I'm sticking to the prediction that they will make the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Timberwolf you’ve been down on this team for as long as I can remember.   Are you stuck on our golden years with the Sedins as you grew up watching them and can’t see things for what they really are?  Already Miller has shown he’s more then worth the picks we gave up for him,  Benn is showing he’s very difficult to play against and why he was so good in MTL - Ferland will keep guys heads on a swivel and thinking twice about taking liberties on EP and Boeser, Myers is a huge upgrade - literally- and that we can score by committee - one of the key ingredients to a successful playoff run.   

You really think this team will do worse then last year?  Give your head a shake man, maybe go watch some Sedin or if you were three or four at the time some WCE era highlights.  This team was destined to bottom out after the mess MG left - one that didn’t allow his predecessor much chance of getting anything, from a top team too...

It takes time to get the 5-6 core guys in a rebuild plus 5-6 support guys.   Four drafts minimum, 6/7 on average - that is bottom five in the league for that many years to get your picks.  JB had managed it in four.   EP,Boeser, Demko, Hughes is five - Podz is likely six.  Then add Horvat the only decent piece we got from MG, paltry return, is 7 - then add Miller (a wise decision given how long it would take to draft and develop an equivalent player) who’s only two years older then Horvat, Myers, Benn, JV, Rousell, Sutter, Beagle, Pearson, Bear, Ferland and even LE and later OJ you end up with a good supporting cast.

AND he’s got a team for the next two years anyways, who’s top players cap wise are only 6 million.   How many teams league wide can say the same?   Even with one anchor in LE and the Luongo thing he’s created one of the best cap structures league wide.

There is more chances of us winning the cup this year then doing worse then last year.  Injuries won’t be a concern - Edler and Tanev minutes will go way down and help on both special teams has arrived and they will share the load - plus depth is no longer a concern.  I’m pretty sure we can get 94-104 points this year - and be a hard team to beat come playoff time. 

This is weird, if you've been following me this closely, you'd know I barely post here any more because it's a pro Benning site and I'd rather not bring the place down (I am no troll) Also even though this is the prediction thread designed not to debate in, you called me out personally, so I'll respond. Though I feel it's a waste of time since you seemed to already have written a back story for me

If you knew me and seen me on this site I am positive about moves a observe as positive and negative about those I disagree with. My metric to rate a GM is if he did a move for a team I hate would I have to admit it's a good move or not? Benning has made no such move in his time here. Benning has spent to the cap, created holes to plug others called "mission accomplished" that we'd compete and consistently bombed every season

I am aware that Rome wasn't built in a day. It's Jim "we can turn this franchise around in a hurry" Benning who didn't know that.

When we first got him, sure. That was exciting. It seemed like we were heading somewhere, we wanted a guy and got him. Things looking up after we turfed lamed duck Gillis out. Then he botched the Kesler trade, traded picks for waiver trash and rode the last gasp of what was a great team to one humiliating playoff defeat. The follwing seasons are one example after another of mediocre moves at best

had he started cleaning house, stockpiling picks and made savvy cheap moves you'd have never heard me say anything negative. He did the opposite. Think of where we would be now. At least better than a team that rank making the playoffs in a bad division and a league where half the teams make it as some kind of noteworthy accomplishment. (Probably from the same posters that trashed the Leafs for losing in the first round?)

You can point at EP40 if you like (you also can't find a post of me saying anything negative about him being picked, it doesn't exist) but I would counter to ask what ingenious move did Benning make to acquire him? Did he pull off a savvy deal or did he default into it after another failure season and get him through using one of the minimum picks the NHL hands to you that he actually went into a draft with? I'll credit the pick but it doesn't make Benning a good GM. The contracts for the two yoots are fine, if you can find me yelling about them somewhere as well then feel free to call me out on that. Doesn't forgive the horrid contracts to waiver replaceable bottom six trash, though. Benning still has brutal pro scouting.

Hey, if I'm wrong and we're a danger to win the cup I'll be happy to eat the plate of crow. Canucks are my only team. When we don;t make the playoffs I don't choose another team to cheer for, they all hate us and I hate them back. And if we don't make the playoffs or are blown out easily and early I won't even rub your nose in it because despite what you and other posters think, I don't want the team to fail. I just want better management.

I'm not going to pretend Benning is good just because it's my team.

Edited by TimberWolf
  • Cheers 1

The team improves to 92 points, gets the final wildcard into the playoffs, wins one round in 7, and loses the next in 6.  We establish ourselves as one of the legit, up and coming teams about to contend.  We build on last year to become Colorado's kryptonite. sweeping the season series against them and ripping their hearts out as we do it.  Injuries still happen but our much improved depth gets us through them without extended losing streaks. 

Individually, Petey is 40/45, Boesser 35/35, Bo 30/35, Miller 25/35, Ferland 25/25, Baer 20/25, Jake 18/20, Sutter 25/18, Pearson 15/20, Leivo 15/20, Hughes 8/40, Edler 12/25, Myers 12/28, Stecher 8/22.  Bo gets the C and is full value for it.  Hughes is a Calder finalist but doesn't win.  Markstrom and Demko are in the top ten of the league as a pairing and split the regular season 52/30.  Motte and Fantenberg make the team, Biega, Erikson, Goldobin and Schaller do not.  Roussel back by Dec. 1 and wills the team into the playoffs.  Tryamkin back by season's end but is 7th D when all are healthy. 

On the farm:  Gaudette spends most of the year in Utica and lights it up offensively there with one or two call-ups to the big club.  MacEwan continues to score and be a physical presence, earning one call-up and showing well in it before being demoted again.  Lind improves significantly but no call-up, Gadjovich busts.  Juolevi progresses steadily behind Brisebois and Sautner but does not get a call-up.  Chatfield and Rafferty strong on the right side but behind Biega on the depth chart.  Di Pietro has a tough first half but finds his feet later on.  Utica contends. 

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2019 at 4:55 AM, 73 Percent said:

Reserved

On 6/30/2019 at 5:45 AM, Strombone said:

Reserved

On 6/30/2019 at 5:50 AM, Pizza said:

Reserved

On 6/30/2019 at 7:28 AM, Odd. said:

Reserved

1 bold prediction though: Quinn Hughes scores 57 points 

On 6/30/2019 at 7:55 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Reserved.

On 6/30/2019 at 8:00 AM, Drakrami said:

Reserved.

On 6/30/2019 at 8:30 AM, RetroCanuck said:

Reserved

On 7/2/2019 at 6:53 PM, The_Rocket said:

Reserving

On 7/4/2019 at 12:14 PM, Stamkos said:

I’m snagging a spot

On 7/11/2019 at 8:41 AM, hlinkas wrister said:

reserved

On 7/12/2019 at 7:40 PM, Sedinery33 said:

Reserved

On 7/15/2019 at 12:58 AM, Hogs & Podz said:

Reserved

On 7/19/2019 at 2:30 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Reserved for season predictions

On 7/24/2019 at 6:34 PM, ruilin96 said:

Reserved

On 9/4/2019 at 1:28 AM, Cocolocci said:

Reserved.

Just a heads up

4 days until this thread goes into lockdown for the season. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

• -SN- featured this topic

Pettersson - 79 points (30+ goals)

Horvat - 70 points (25-30 goals)

Boeser - 65 points (more if he can keep healthy)

Miller - 50 points (18-22 goals)

Ferland - 40 points(20 goals)

Baertschi-40 points (20 goals) - well guess that's not likely to happen now.

Hughes - 37 points (9 goals)

Edler - 37 points (8 goals)

Myers - 35 points (11 goals)

Gaudette - 33 points (13 goals)

Jake Virtanen - 32 points (17 goals)

Loui Erikksson- 26 points (8 goals)

Markstrom has a record of 31-20-7, Demko has a record of 12-10-2

Canucks have a record of 43-30-9 for 95 points, make the playoffs in a wildcard position. 

The eternal optimist in me says they pull numerous miracles and win the Stanley Cup this year against all odds. With series sealing goals by Horvat, Ferland, Petey, and Loui.

The realist in me is still slightly optimistic, saying they could win a 7 game first round series but then get bumped in the second round if lucky, although they will likely end up just losing out in 7 in the first round.

I'll go with the optimist regardless as my number 1 pick for their finish.

Edited by ForestFalcon

Pettersson 35 goals 48 assists -83 points 

Boeser 32 goals 35 assists -67 points (limited to 70 games)

Horvat 28 goals 30 assists 58 points

gaudette 23 goals 25 assists -48 points 

Miller 24 goals 26 assists -50 points 

ferland 18 goals 25 assists -43 points 

Edler 13 goals 31 assists -44 points 

Hughes 7 goals 26 assists - 33 points 

Pearson 20 goals 20 assists -40 points 

leivo 16 goals 20 assists -36 points 

eriksson 14 goals 17 assists -31 points 

beagle 6 goals 12 assists -18 points 

motte 7 goals 14 assists -21 points 

virtanen 13 goals 11 assists -24 points 

sutter 12 goals 14 assists -26 points 

Myers 7 goals 20 assists -27 points 

benn 3 goals 10 assists -13 points 

stecher 7 goals 19 assists -26 points 

Tanev 1 goal 12 assists -13 points 

markstroms numbers fall in top 10 in league 

Canucks squeak into playoffs make a first round push to game 6-7 but fall short to Vegas 

pettersson wins lady byng 

Florida panthers vs Vegas golden knights SCF 

Barkov wins scoring race