The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Panthers trade James Reimer to Hurricanes for Scott Darling, 2020 6th-round pick

1 hour ago, Spoosh said:

Why didnt they just buy out Reimer who has a smaller cap hit?

No kidding. I re-read this trade multiple times and cannot figure out my Florida did this? To appease Reimer’s family (fairly close to Florida? Is a 6th rounder worth ~$1 million? 

37 minutes ago, Cameron88188 said:

No kidding. I re-read this trade multiple times and cannot figure out my Florida did this? To appease Reimer’s family (fairly close to Florida? Is a 6th rounder worth ~$1 million? 

Maybe because in 2020/21 Reimer's buyout cap hit is 3.2M vs Darling's 2.3M.  Florida wants to spend right up to the cap so that 1M might be important to them.  

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mll said:

Maybe because in 2020/21 Reimer's buyout cap hit is 3.2M vs Darling's 2.3M.  Florida wants to spend right up to the cap so that 1M might be important to them.  

Ok, I didn’t look that up.

Sad to see Scott Darling fading like that. Hope he can recover and find his for again. 

15 hours ago, mll said:

That's probably it. That's due to a large signing bonus due July 1, 2020. Overall the Reimer buyout would have cost around $500k less. But that one year must have been perceived as a problem.

But there are a number of people who suggest that Reimer is still a decent goalie. I'm surprised Carolina only had to add a 6th round pick to sweeten the deal.