The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What signing Myers and Benn mean for Jim Benning and the Canucks this season.

Rate this topic

Phat Fingers

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Last year we were five wins away from a playoff spot.  That’s it.  Ten wins would probably put us into the top 2 maybe 3 in our division..really that means if we were .500 during that losing streak (which also affected our GAA) we would have made the show.  That said the West lost points against the East last year, making it easier for teams to get in.   Ten wins would definitely get us there and more...we’d be around a 100 point team.   Think we just added 25-30 goals between getting better and our core taking steps. Which would put us close to 250...  can’t imagine what a year of Hughes, Myers and Benn will do instead of Poopoo, Guddy/Schenn and Hutton.  Guessing at least 25-30 goals less too.   Definitely puts us into the playoff hunt.

Based on the incoming and outgoing defenseman statistical productions, and assuming Hughes is good for 40 points which I think is reasonable +/- 10, we've added about 85 points on the backend and lost about 49 points on the backend for net total of 36 points. So this is pretty much in line with your prediction of 25-30 goals except this is ONLY from the backend not including our forward group. Realistically we should see anywhere from 30-50 goal improvement spread throughout the lineup assuming our forward group continues to take incremental steps in their production. Perhaps most importantly, we've lost the sieves in Pouliott, Gudbranson and Hutton and that will lower our GAA significantly. It's possible we see a 50-70 point swing between our GF/GA ratio from this year to last and that should firmly place us into playoff position.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

One thing that I have been thinking about ever since the Myers to the Canucks talk started coming out, was what it means for the future of Chris Tanev and the Canucks. 

As we are all aware of, the Canucks gave up a conditional 1st in the Miller trade which leads me into thinking if there is something to read between the lines here.

If the Canucks don't make the playoffs this year they will be forced to give up their 2021 1st round pick to the lightning. It also means they will most likely be shopping their upcoming UFAs to playoff teams, in this case, Chris Tanev. 

I see two scenarios: 

1. Canucks miss playoffs this year, trade Tanev (and other rentals) for picks in the 2021 draft to compensate for the 1st going to Tampa

2. Canucks make the playoffs, re-sign Tanev 

Am I crazy? 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeltaSwede said:

One thing that I have been thinking about ever since the Myers to the Canucks talk started coming out, was what it means for the future of Chris Tanev and the Canucks. 

As we are all aware of, the Canucks gave up a conditional 1st in the Miller trade which leads me into thinking if there is something to read between the lines here.

If the Canucks don't make the playoffs this year they will be forced to give up their 2021 1st round pick to the lightning. It also means they will most likely be shopping their upcoming UFAs to playoff teams, in this case, Chris Tanev. 

I see two scenarios: 

1. Canucks miss playoffs, trade Tanev (or more players) for picks in the 2021 draft to compensate for the 1st going to Tampa

2. Canucks make the playoffs, re-sign Tanev 

Am I crazy? 

I agree with your ideas.  And yes, you’re definitely crazy.:frantic:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Lucic is a possibility.

I’d like it, especially if LE went the other way with Goldy +, for Pool Party. 

We’d have to protect him. Idk how many pieces we’d have to protect. 

Lucic would look look really nice on our bottom 6 with Rousell

• Cheers 1

So we have 8.7 million left, but we still have to resign Brock Boeser, Tyler Motte, Goldy, Josh Leivo and the two college d-men that we signed last year.  

Even if we assume that Boeser signs a team friendly deal at 6.5 mil/year, we will be in a really tough spot to keep Motte and Leivo, who are very promising players. We do have three d-men that will probably start the season in the AHL (Biega, Sautner, Brisebois), so that does give us an extra 2 mil to work with unless I'm mistaken. 

3 hours ago, koregen said:

Although I was hoping to see a top 6 forward like Nyquist signed as well, the Luongo cap hit crushed that dream. The good news is that we got Myers for shorter term and cheaper then most predicted and when you weigh that into the equation it's a fantastic acquisition. We really needed another top 4 guy and Benning did not disappoint. We signed the best D man available and managed to do it on a team friendly contract, let's not forget how overpriced UFA signings usually are. 

Hughes and Myers pairing is exciting to think about, we might actually finally have a defensive line that can put up points! When was the last time we were able to say that?

8.7 left and Boeser need to be signed.  A few more contracts need to be shed.  Eriksson and Sutter need to be offloaded.  Heck pay out a pick if need be.  JB has found a way to rid himself of other mistakes, if he can end those two, we will be home and hosed.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

8.7 left and Boeser need to be signed.  A few more contracts need to be shed.  Eriksson and Sutter need to be offloaded.  Heck pay out a pick if need be.  JB has found a way to rid himself of other mistakes, if he can end those two, we will be home and hosed.  

It would definitely be real nice to shed some of that weight.

No one picked up Hutton yet.....and yet St. Louis picked up Pouliot. 

Ferland and Gardiner are also still without new teams. 

Benning did really well. When I heard that Myers was looking for $7 x 7, I was a tad concerned, but Benning brought him in on a solid contract, and ensured that he won’t take up an ED spot. That’s amazing. 

Well done one once again, Jim. Solid work. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Lucic don the Orca soon. 

Holland is talking about patience for a 3 year plan :blink: 

I can't see him moving a core young piece Jim would demand to make the deal. 

Loui's headed for upstate NY. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Holland is talking about patience for a 3 year plan :blink: 

I can't see him moving a core young piece Jim would demand to make the deal. 

Loui's headed for upstate NY. 

Hahaha. Patience for a three year plan? Did he inform Connor about that?

• Haha 1