Flames now on the lookout for an NHL goalie

really hard to know which talbot was signed

the coiler talbot of the last 2 seasons

or the earlier version

and what about the concept that

all coiler players improve once they depart deadmonton

that team has really messed up its goalie position for some time now

i kind of have to believe that talbot has a bit of upside still

and as noted in one post above. he'll actually have a defence in front of him on the flames

On 7/2/2019 at 10:53 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Treliving has this addiction to mediocre goalies teetering over cliffs.  Year after year he keeps bringing them in.

So is Rittich the starter?  Platoon with Talbot?  Whichever way, just cannot see them as a real contender next year unless one of those two really runs with it.

Dont understand how treliving gets so much praise.

4 hours ago, Violator said:

Dont understand how treliving gets so much praise.

The Carolina trade probably bought him a lot of capital, especially to cover for the Neal signing.  If he'd blown that one, I think he'd be on the outs.  They had a lot of overachievers last year and haven't done much so far this off-season.  If they only sign their remaining RFAs and those players come back down a bit, with Smitty in net their up-and-down seasons could continue with a downturn this year.

17 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The Carolina trade probably bought him a lot of capital, especially to cover for the Neal signing.  If he'd blown that one, I think he'd be on the outs.  They had a lot of overachievers last year and haven't done much so far this off-season.  If they only sign their remaining RFAs and those players come back down a bit, with Smitty in net their up-and-down seasons could continue with a downturn this year.

Smitty is in Edmonton now, hence Talbot signing with Calgary. But I agree with that you're saying in that goaltending still looks like a weakness that they haven't resolved. They got some stability last year which is why they performed like they did, so if Rittich can be consistent all year or if Talbot can handle the split duties, then they would be a threat. They are pretty close against the cap though. They have 9.5 million and have to sign Tkachuk, Bennett, Mangiapane and Rittich plus another forward or two.

If we can move Tanev's contract out without cap in return, I could see us acquiring Hamonic who seems like he may be on the outs in Calgary (but perhaps wants to stay out in Western Canada) and may be a cap dump for Calgary.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah, meant Talbot.  That revolving door...

By all accounts they'd rather move Brodie, and apparently were close to doing it for Kadri.

Well I think the same goes for Brodie should he be had for cheap. They can settle for Sutter since they lost out on Kadri :P