The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Montreal Offer Sheets Aho

2 hours ago, mll said:

If Carolina matches they can't trade him for a year.

Durrr obviously, but you're not imagining the course of events. You call Montreal, you say "That isn't enough for Aho. We're gonna match this, but we'll give you a week to formulate a better offer" and then see what comes of it. Once the offer is officially matched with the league, then nothing can be done and Aho is locked in with the Canes for a year.

20 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Likely means Montreal tries to offersheet Brock once this gets matched.  Benning would be wise to get something done in this window so they can control term.

19 hours ago, Canadian said:

Brock isn’t eligible for an offer sheet or arbitration, so it’s either sign with us, or a trade

19 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

He can't sign an offersheet

It is almost like GM JB planned it this way. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Noseforthenet said:

Durrr obviously, but you're not imagining the course of events. You call Montreal, you say "That isn't enough for Aho. We're gonna match this, but we'll give you a week to formulate a better offer" and then see what comes of it. Once the offer is officially matched with the league, then nothing can be done and Aho is locked in with the Canes for a year.

Can't do anything once an offer-sheet is signed - it's filed with the league and there's only 2 options either match or let him stay with Montreal.  

Someone should offer sheet Marner. Make Toronto match or lose a top player while they are in their window for future picks. And tgen if they match dubas will have to do a lot of dancing to keep Barrie next summer. Toronto isbasically trying to go all in this year. Someone needs to ruin that.

Edited by Habs4Life

1 hour ago, mll said:

Can't do anything once an offer-sheet is signed - it's filed with the league and there's only 2 options either match or let him stay with Montreal.  

That...is actually incorrect. Unless it has changed since Shea Weber was offer sheeted by Philadelphia. You can either A. match B. let the player go or C. figure out a trade within the week.

Edited by Noseforthenet

1 hour ago, Habs4Life said:

Someone should offer sheet Marner. Make Toronto match or lose a top player while they are in their window for future picks. And tgen if they match dubas will have to do a lot of dancing to keep Barrie next summer. Toronto isbasically trying to go all in this year. Someone needs to ruin that.

Problem is it will take more to offer sheet Marner than it will for Aho. Aside from the bonus perspective, 8.4 million a season is an incredible deal (in today's market) for someone like Aho (especially considering some expect Boeser to get 8 million a season here). The only problem for Carolina is the term, but he will be very tradable within year 5 if they cannot get an extension agreed upon. So with that said, Montreal planned it so the offer sheet would only cost a 1st, 2nd and 3rd if not matched which I would give any day of the week for Aho. Marner's offer sheet will likely hit the 4 1st rounders mark which teams would be more weary about giving up.

36 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Problem is it will take more to offer sheet Marner than it will for Aho. Aside from the bonus perspective, 8.4 million a season is an incredible deal (in today's market) for someone like Aho (especially considering some expect Boeser to get 8 million a season here). The only problem for Carolina is the term, but he will be very tradable within year 5 if they cannot get an extension agreed upon. So with that said, Montreal planned it so the offer sheet would only cost a 1st, 2nd and 3rd if not matched which I would give any day of the week for Aho. Marner's offer sheet will likely hit the 4 1st rounders mark which teams would be more weary about giving up.

Thats why you dont see more offer sheets. 

Toronto is in a situation where sure they would have 4 first round picks they could then trade for other help but still not be able to add significantly as even if they let Marner walk they are still in a tight cap spot. 

My ideal situation is to see the leafs implode under the weight of their idiotic forward signings and be forced to rebuild again haha. I might be slightly biased as a result. 

I hope Barrie signs elsewhere and Kerfoot gets a big arbitration award so they have to walk away or cut more salary. 

Edited by Habs4Life

Huge insult to the owner of the Hurricanes to even suggest, to even think they cant afford 21 million.

Pathetic move by Montreal, no duh , seriously NO effing DUH Carolina will match, a joke of a story.

Thanks a lot for 8.5 low cap hit, and thanks a lot Montreal for screwing all the other UFA's.

Even the Carolina's owner is dumbfounded: 

I’m not angry. I’m just surprised that any team thought this had any chance of working," Dundon told TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun for The Athletic. "I guess the Carolina Hurricanes are still misunderstood if anyone anywhere thought this would be hard for us.

3 minutes ago, Doesntmakesense said:

Huge insult to the owner of the Hurricanes to even suggest, to even think they cant afford 21 million.

Pathetic move by Montreal, no duh , seriously NO effing DUH Carolina will match, a joke of a story.

Thanks a lot for 8.5 low cap hit, and thanks a lot Montreal for screwing all the other UFA's.

Even the Carolina's owner is dumbfounded: 

Nothing says Bergevin like an ill-advised attempt though. Most of the time we are happy when they dont actually happen. 

4 hours ago, Habs4Life said:

Problem is I don’t think Marner would ever sign an offer sheet.   Hes playing for the team he grow up cheering for and a contender.  I don’t think he wants to risk the leafs not matching and while he wants to be paid fairly, I’m sure he doesn’t want to handcuff them either and causing the team to be in more cap trouble and lower their chance at a cup