The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Avalanche trade Tyson Barrie, Alexander Kerfoot, 2020 6th-round pick to Maple Leafs for Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen, 2020 3rd-round pick

Weird trade, Toronto's c depth takes a bit of a hit for an upgrade on D. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Colorado had been unwilling to trade him out west. Wouldn't be surprised if Colorado was unwilling to give him what he'd want in an extension either. 

Toronto gets a year of Barrie, maybe more if they can shuffle out Nylander. Wouldn't be surprised to see Barrie test free agency though, he'd likely be the best offense producing D to hit July 1st 2020. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I live on Vancouver Island, a lot of buzz around here that he is coming home. He's 100% testing FA at the very least, most likely coming to Vancouver though. 

So buzz? (Aka rumors)

Not sure how you’re claiming 100%. Definitely not a guarantee.

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

I live on Vancouver Island, a lot of buzz around here that he is coming home. He's 100% testing FA at the very least, most likely coming to Vancouver though. 

Are we even going to be able to afford him, we already have 2x$6 million dollar Dmen, dont think adding a $8+ will be in the works, unless we can get rid of Eriksson, Sutter and trade Tanev for futures assuming we shut him down at or before the All Star break to make certain he stays healthy:blink:

• Upvote 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Colorado had been unwilling to trade him out west. Wouldn't be surprised if Colorado was unwilling to give him what he'd want in an extension either. 

Toronto gets a year of Barrie, maybe more if they can shuffle out Nylander. Wouldn't be surprised to see Barrie test free agency though, he'd likely be the best offense producing D to hit July 1st 2020. 

One good thing for Toronto is it bumps Spezza to a more sheltered role instead of a shutdown guy. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I really hope this is true. We just watch a FA sign with the canucks because the bacouber connection. I would love berrie on this team. 

• Cheers 1

Terrible trade for Colorado, they were just starting to look decent up front then throw away their 60pt defenceman. 

Meanwhile Toronto shed Kadri and get someone to play D alongside Reilly, two of the best puck movers in the league but no decent shutdown D men still. 

Surely going to have to still move pieces around to fit Marner in though.

Just now, DeNiro said:

So buzz? (Aka rumors)

Not sure how you’re claiming 100%. Definitely not a guarantee.

Depends who and where it is coming from. I'm not saying. But I will be 100% shocked if ANY team let alone Toronto signs him before July 1, 2020

5 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

The Leafs get a lot better with this trade. And it makes me LOL because you all have such a hatred towards them.

With Kadri gone and certainly a softer team now I don't see how this makes TO better. Maybe their defense is alittle better but remember they have lost Gardnier and other d man as well

• Cheers 1

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

Terrible trade for Colorado, they were just starting to look decent up front then throw away their 60pt defenceman. 

Meanwhile Toronto shed Kadri and get someone to play D alongside Reilly, two of the best puck movers in the league but no decent shutdown D men still. 

Surely going to have to still move pieces around to fit Marner in though.

Barrie was leaving in FA better to get something over nothing. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Upgrade on D, add Barrie and loose Gardnier? as well as other D, maybe they get alittle more skilled but alot softer on the backend

i don't think avs did as badly as being suggested

what was the one major weakness in their roster?

well kadri just filled it and comes with a very nice contract, hence the retention demand on barrie for 1 year

he also adds some nastiness (which we all hate, except when that player happens to be on our team)

avs are going to be a force this season

they are a solid deep team with skill at every position

and and very young and upcoming core

they have a very bright future

they paid a bit of a premium to get kadri

but when you have depth, salary cap space, and are on the cusp of really taking a big step in team development

that premium can be worth paying

too bad the leafs are benefiting from the premium paid

i will be upset if they manage to sign barrie to a new contract though

Just now, DeNiro said:

Not right now. 

Moves Ed can be made. Plus the cap will go up 

I though I heard the cap won't be going up next year, so with Barrie unrestricted end of next season Im not sure this works out well for TO

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lol what were people saying about Sakic being a good GM?

Bad trade for Colorado if true.

Agreed... they traded out Soderberg and now Kerfoot and Barrie which were #4/5/6 on their top scorers of their season... on a team struggling for secondary scoring....

out: Barrie / Kerfoot / Soderberg

in: Donskoi / Kadri / Burakovsky

also not sure how Leafs are going to sign Kerfoot, Ceci and Marner with 11 mil in cap space :blink:

2 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Upgrade on D, add Barrie and loose Gardnier? as well as other D, maybe they get alittle more skilled but alot softer on the backend

Barrie is tougher than Gardiner.

Toronto just got a gritty 60 point D man that can play 30 minutes a night. They just got way better.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2