The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Vegas looking to trade Nikita Gusev

Vegas is making a mistake by trading him. They should be clearing cap to sign him and playing him in their top 6. He has a chance to be a star like panarin. I'd love him on the canucks. He could play with horvat or petey. 

Edited by FireGillis
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

Vegas is making a mistake by trading him. They should be clearing cap to sign him and playing him in their top 6. He has a chance to be a star like panarin. I'd love him on the canucks. He could play with horvat or petey. 

TBH I never heard of the guy.  But if he’s a top six playmaking winger, he’d be perfect with Bo.  

Gaudette for the guy’s rights?  Too much?  

9 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Panarin got $3.5M when he came over. If Gusev is in the same tier, then 3-4 isn't unreasonable. It's certainly a risk though.

The salary cap when Panarin came over was $71.4m whereas it’s $81.5m this year.  Factoring in that increase, I’d guess Gusev is looking for $4.5m-$5m.

Gusev was the leading scorer in the KHL by a decent margin (13 points) and had 36 more points than the next closest on his team.  The only concern would be how his small frame would translate to the NHL.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

TBH I never heard of the guy.  But if he’s a top six playmaking winger, he’d be perfect with Bo.  

He did very well in the KHL. He played on a stacked SKA team, but people say he was far and away their best player. He had 16 points in the world championship this year, which tied him with kucherov. 

Word is he's looking for 4m, which is not outlandish and worth the risk. He's more playmaker than goal scorer and I'd take him with horvat over, sven, leivo or Pearson. He's worth the gamble, but it depends what Vegas wants. They already screwed their last Russian, so might be screwing another Russian by asking for too much in a trade and killing his NHL dream. The concern is size, but it's the new NHL where smaller guys are succeeding. 

Edited by FireGillis
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FireGillis said:

He did very well in the KHL. He played on a stacked SKA team, but people say he was far and away their best player. He had 16 points in the world championship this year, which tied him with kucherov. 

Word is he's looking for 4m, which is not outlandish and worth the risk. He's more playmaker than goal scorer and I'd take him with horvat over, sven, leivo or Pearson. He's worth the gamble, but it depends what Vegas wants. They already screwed their last Russian, so might be screwing another Russian by asking for too much in a trade and killing his NHL dream. 

Trade Russian player rights - Tryamkin for Gusev? 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Another player that will be heading East likely :rolleyes:

Very far East, back to Russia if he is serious about that 4mil price tag. He is 5'10, 27, done nothing in the NHL. If he's smart he takes a 1 year deal for 2-2.5mil with Vegas and actually prove he can play in the NHL before asking for 4+mil. Someone might give him that 4mil though, I mean Shipachyov got 4mil once upon a time.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grape said:

For every one of those guys there's also an Artemi Panarin. We've seen what Vey and Dawes do on the NHL level but we never saw what Panarin did.

Of course there's risk but I think it's foolish to only give up a guy that basically doesn't add anything to the team anymore like Goldobin. There's SO MUCH potential offense that you have to give up more.

Even if it doesn't work out, I would do the same thing with a similar player 10 times out of 10. The payoff is significant that when it does work out you basically get a potentially elite player at a discount.

Depends on the contract and term. A one year show me contract. If he wants term and money, forget it. 

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Another player that will be heading East likely :rolleyes:

my guess is really far east. 

I don't know why this went off the rails but Vegas f'd this up good. Guys going to play with SKA again. Maybe we'll be able to bring him over to us as a free agent when Podkolzin is ready. 

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

They can’t afford him! Buy him now while his value is at its lowest! Trade Tanev retained for picks, trade those picks for Gusev, and then sign Hutton for cheap.

I was gonna say: they only have 5 NHL roster D signed. Maybe Tanev @ 50% + a Goldobin or pick or other sweetener makes them think about trading him within the division (while they need to clear cap, Tanev @ 50% is pretty good value for a position they need to fill). Maybe send Biega too; he's been great as our 7D but we've got plenty of youth to get into some games so he's becoming more expendable, and he'll be cheap.

That said, I think if Tanev gets traded he goes east.

• Upvote 2

Oh man this would be a great pick up if the Canucks could afford the asking price which I'm not sure what it would be. Most likely Vegas wants picks going back based on their cap troubles. I doubt a second rounder by itself gets it done and a 1st might be slight over payment. I'm guessing a second and a third or 2 seconds gets it done?

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Gusev is 5'9" and 163 lbs. Never played a game in the NHL.

He could bust as hard as that defenseman Larsen did. I would not give up Gaudette for the guy.  And he wants 4 million per year with Vegas wanting him to take 2 million per.

Very high risk but possible very high reward type of guy. We have seen other guys that rocked it in the KHL been totally unable to play in the NHL. Who knows how Gusev turns out.

Edit: trade goldy for him or a 3rd round pick max.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Very far East, back to Russia if he is serious about that 4mil price tag. He is 5'10, 27, done nothing in the NHL. If he's smart he takes a 1 year deal for 2-2.5mil with Vegas and actually prove he can play in the NHL before asking for 4+mil. Someone might give him that 4mil though, I mean Shipachyov got 4mil once upon a time.

Panarin measurables are about the same and he signed 2 years 12 million with no NHL experience. At some point you just have to take the gamble. He produced very well in the KHL similar to Panarin and he tied Kucherov for most points in the worlds for Russia. I’d easily offer Gusev 4 mill for 2-3 years.

Edited by flickyoursedin

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Panarin measurables are about the same and he signed 2 years 12 million with no NHL experience. At some point you just have to take the gamble. He produced very well in the KHL similar to Panarin and he tied Kucherov for most points in the worlds for Russia. I’d easily offer Gusev 4 mill for 2-3 years.

Panarin’s “entry level” was 2yrs/$7m including bonuses.  His 2nd contract was the 2yrs/$12m.

• Like 1

Just now, fanofvan said:

Panarin’s “entry level” was 2yrs/$7m including bonuses.  His 2nd contract was the 2yrs/$12m.

Gusev is a play making winger, who drives play.  He’d be great with Bo.  The cost could be what though?  Picks?