The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Vegas looking to trade Nikita Gusev

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think that the cost here - if you're dealing with a team like Ottawa (not selling Marleaus to contenders here that are trying to compete themselves)  - but the value of the 'dump' is more in the range of 3 million, than 6 million - and for a team like Ottawa, salare is an important factor, and the cap floor could remain a factor for them.

I think the proposal I made earlier is not far-fetched, even the 3 way.

Van = Gusev, Reaves dump

Ottawa = Baer, Goldy, LE

Vegas = Smith, 3rd, and Schaller with cap retention, 3rd.

Value wise -

Baer (still easily worth the 2nd he cost imo), Goldy maybe worth a 3rd, eating Reaves contract, perhaps another 3rd in value, Schaller at 950k = inconsequential waivable cap hit but cheap, serviceable depth.  So equivalent of 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, to move LE and get Gusev.  Optimistic for sure, but Vegas has no leverage, and Ottawa gets two good young forwards and a cheap LE cap hit (1million for 6 million, 9 for 18 over 3).

Vegas - Smith with retention worth a 2ndish, moving Reaves worth  a 3rdish, + our 3rd round pick - not bad for an asset they can't afford, that they poached in the first place in the expansion draft, and got a 2nd round and 4th  along with him to take Garrison.

Give or take, change the form, but there's a decent structure there.

Ottawa is only like 2 mill under the floor.  They don’t need Eriksson 

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think that the cost here - if you're dealing with a team like Ottawa (not selling Marleaus to contenders here that are trying to compete themselves)  - but the value of the 'dump' is more in the range of 3 million, than 6 million - and for a team like Ottawa, salare is an important factor, and the cap floor could remain a factor for them.

Van = Gusev, Reaves dump

Ottawa = Baer, Goldy, LE

Value wise -

Baer (still easily worth the 2nd he cost imo), Goldy maybe worth a 3rd, eating Reaves contract, perhaps another 3rd in value, Schaller at 950k = inconsequential waivable cap hit but cheap, serviceable depth.  So equivalent of 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, to move LE and get Gusev.  Optimistic for sure, but Vegas has no leverage, and Ottawa gets two good young forwards and a cheap LE cap hit (1million for 6 million, 9 for 18 over 3).

Vegas - Smith with retention worth a 2ndish, moving Reaves worth  a 3rdish, + our 3rd round pick - not bad for an asset they can't afford, that they poached in the first place in the expansion draft, and got a 2nd round and 4th  along with him to take Garrison.

It’s a great idea.  I just hope JB is working on this kind of scenario.  Getting Gusev could be key to the whole idea.  He could be the play making winger we need for Bo. 

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s a great idea.  I just hope JB is working on this kind of scenario.  Getting Gusev could be key to the whole idea.  He could be the play making winger we need for Bo. 

For me, getting Gusev would almost be secondary.  But some people don't seem to realize the difference between this kind of move and the one the Laffs made.

The Canucks were able to add their free agent targets, and have the cap to re-sign Boeser and the rest of the RFAs.  There is no urgency.  The Leafs on the other hand desperately had to move Marleau, still could not spend any money in free agency, and still are in a crunch around Marner and Kerfoot.  The Canucks do not lack leverage - are in no desperation position to move a 1st to shed Eriksson - it would simply be for greater flexibility, while not lacking leverage.   So the price imo is reasonably divided - among 'secondary' assets - although Baertschi is arguably a legit 2LW, over a .5ppg player the last three years (in not the greatest of conditions).

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

Van = Gusev, Reaves dump

Ottawa = Baer, Goldy, LE

Value wise -

Agree with this for the most part except I think Ottawa is taking on too much salary.

about 7.37 in salary and 10.37 in cap space.

4.37 extra salary, 7.37 extra cap

ottawa wants to stay low otherwise they would have Been more active on July 1. 

Also vegas would be adding cap which they can’t do 

Id go with:

Van =Smith 

ottawa- Lind, LE, Goldobin 

then 

Vegas:

Smith(50% retained by Vancouver) + 2022-2+ Linus Karlsson

To Van: Reaves and Gusev 

vancouver adds about 1.28 cap 

Vegas sheads 1.28 cap and no need to sign Gusev 

ottawa adds 1million salary and 4 million cap 

2 prospects a 2nd, Goldy, taking on Reaves and 1.5 of Smith is the price for Gusev and dropping Eriksson.  I’d do it in a heart beat. Reaves and Smith’s contracts are done in 1 and 2 years. 

Edited by brian42

9 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I hope Benning is all over this. Nikita Gusev has superstar potential. Hughe playmaker. Exactly what Bo needs on his wing. This would be epic if we got him

wrong division for us unfortunately. I can't see Vegas taking the risk of trading us the next Panarin. 

10 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I hope Benning is all over this. Nikita Gusev has superstar potential. Hughe playmaker. Exactly what Bo needs on his wing. This would be epic if we got him

Unfortunately with that recapture penalty hanging over the clubs head I'm not sure we can do this. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

wrong division for us unfortunately. I can't see Vegas taking the risk of trading us the next Panarin. 

If they honestly believe he has that potential, why would they be lowballing him? They're fearing he will be a busy at 4 million but want to trade him for potential Panarin quality? Gusev likely just goes back to the KHL because there's too much risk of that happening for whichever team that takes him on and he doesn't like the destination then he can bolt. They should be glad if a team offers a 5th rounder. I wouldn't even consider him value for a cap dump because then he adds a 4 million dollar price tag (so if combined with say the Clarkson LTIR, then you're adding over 9 million in cap) and there is no certainty he makes it in the NHL. If he does blossom on a new team, then that's a bonus for whichever team that takes the gamble.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

If they honestly believe he has that potential, why would they be lowballing him? They're fearing he will be a busy at 4 million but want to trade him for potential Panarin quality? Gusev likely just goes back to the KHL because there's too much risk of that happening for whichever team that takes him on and he doesn't like the destination then he can bolt. They should be glad if a team offers a 5th rounder. I wouldn't even consider him value for a cap dump because then he adds a 4 million dollar price tag (so if combined with say the Clarkson LTIR, then you're adding over 9 million in cap) and there is no certainty he makes it in the NHL. If he does blossom on a new team, then that's a bonus for whichever team that takes the gamble.

I think Vegas could be playing a game here, and making it sound like he's got unreasonable contract demands. Vegas went all in on Stone and Patches, and didn't want to let Karlsson walk, leaving no room for the unknown KHL guy. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/2/2019 at 9:22 AM, Alflives said:

What rope?  He’s getting waived, unclaimed and sent to Utica/KHL. 

Don’t worry this will be his last yr here . It’s his show me the money time. He don’t get with Green program he will be gone at TDL.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think Vegas could be playing a game here, and making it sound like he's got unreasonable contract demands. Vegas went all in on Stone and Patches, and didn't want to let Karlsson walk, leaving no room for the unknown KHL guy. 

Doesn't that make it worse for themselves to trade him?

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think they want to trade him, I think they want him to go back to the KHL 

I would hope that effectively ruins their rep against all Russian players then. The guy came over and is still wanting to be here and give it a shot and they're holding him back. Maybe Gusev needs to come out and demand a trade if this is the game they're playing only to further devalue his worth in a trade. The longer it drags out, the worse it'll look on Vegas.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I would hope that effectively ruins their rep against all Russian players then. The guy came over and is still wanting to be here and give it a shot and they're holding him back. Maybe Gusev needs to come out and demand a trade if this is the game they're playing only to further devalue his worth in a trade. The longer it drags out, the worse it'll look on Vegas.

it already looks pretty bad, imo. The guy came there with the expectation to play, they didn't suit him up for a shift in the playoffs and are now diddling him around on a contract. He does have arbitration rights but I don't know how they'd assess a contract for him. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it already looks pretty bad, imo. The guy came there with the expectation to play, they didn't suit him up for a shift in the playoffs and are now diddling him around on a contract. He does have arbitration rights but I don't know how they'd assess a contract for him. 

Not dressing for the playoffs is understandable IMO. New guy coming into the system here, probably with a bit of a language barrier, so it would be a bit of a shock to see him get into the meaningful games just like that. Vegas is obviously playing the cap issues as a problem to try and get him on a lower deal. Will be interesting how it plays out as it looks like Gusev wants to give it a go and more so now seeing Panarin cash in.

• Upvote 1