The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Vegas looking to trade Nikita Gusev

27 minutes ago, audiodave said:

Could Vegas match a $4M 1 year offer sheet? I'm not sure they have the cap space. It would cost us a 2nd round pick and if it works out, sign him to a longer contract.

I don't think Canucks would want to go into next year potentially without their 2 first picks in 2020 draft.

Also we are pretty well capped with Boeser contract coming up.

19 minutes ago, goblix said:

I don't think Canucks would want to go into next year potentially without their 2 first picks in 2020 draft.

Once they move Erikson cap space won't be a problem, especially if Boeser gets a 2 year contract. Judging by the recent trade and FA signings, I think the owners want to start winning now. Gusev could really help make that happen.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, goblix said:

We would only be without our first two picks if we make the playoffs next year. And it would be with the help of two top 6 acquisitions in Miller and Gusev potentially. If Gusev takes a two year deal, that lines us up nicely to trade him if his value is high then (maybe a higher return than a 2nd) and have Podkolzin step in as an ELC to help with any cap issues.

Cap-wise it would be tricky, but not impossible to manage for a potential top 6 guy making 4 million. It would be interesting if we really wanted him and Vegas refuses to trade him to us because of the division rivalry.

• Upvote 1

This seems like a risk worth taking depending on the trade price.

If his rumoured 2 years at 4 mill is true that could also be good value if it pans out.

I don't think we should be giving up prime assets for this guy though as he is unproven in the NHL at this point.

Some risk involved so it really depends on the asking price from Vegas.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, babalu said:

This seems like a risk worth taking depending on the trade price.

If his rumoured 2 years at 4 mill is true that could also be good value if it pans out.

I don't think we should be giving up prime assets for this guy though as he is unproven in the NHL at this point.

Some risk involved so it really depends on the asking price from Vegas.

I'd give up a goldobin and a second

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, TGokou said:

I'd give up a goldobin and a second

I would do that in a hearbeat. But I don't think Vegas does if they do see him as an up and coming high end forward. As others have said, they probably won't trade to someone in the west if that is the case.

That would be cool though.

Jokke Nevalainen

Head of European Scouting

@DobberProspects

@JokkeNevalainen

If I was an NHL GM, I would call the Vegas GM and not hang up until that deal is finalized. Such a bargain.

"League sources say a second round pick with a later pick OR lower tier prospect"  should do it.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Jokke Nevalainen

@DobberProspects

@JokkeNevalainen

If I was an NHL GM, I would call the Vegas GM and not hang up until that deal is finalized. Such a bargain.

"League sources say a second round pick with a later pick OR lower tier prospect"  should do it.

We need to move out a player then go after this guy imo. Could be a nice winger for Bo's line

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Jokke Nevalainen

@DobberProspects

@JokkeNevalainen

I Errikson would just do the right thing and retire we’d have lots of room for Bo’s new winger.  

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2019 at 10:14 PM, Hutton Wink said:

JD Burke says we have "no tradeable assets", so guess we're out of the running.

Well he’s not wrong.

Benning likely doesn’t wanna trade any good prospects or picks now. 

So it’s either scraps or B level prospects. Or a mix of the two. Not much teams want either way.

On 7/5/2019 at 10:14 PM, Hutton Wink said:

JD Burke says we have "no tradeable assets", so guess we're out of the running.

Of course they have the assets.

What they don't have - presently at least - is the space to sign him.

And when we consider things like the Johansson signing - a pretty comparable asset to Baertschi, in a lot of ways, that people wanted, assuming he'd be an upgrade = if Baertschi is the weakest link in the top 6 (and having just drafted Podkolzin) - the team has had far more signiificant principal "problems" the past few years, and quite recently.

The thing that has to be measured - is how much of an upgrade gamble - over a player like Baertschi - is worthwhile and at what cost.

12 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Jokke Nevalainen

@DobberProspects

@JokkeNevalainen

Depends what the definition of a lower tier prospect is. I would move someone like Perron if he's considered a "prospect". How about a Palmu or Jasek? I would go as high as a Brisebois who was a former 3rd rounder (which can be viewed as a later 2nd rounder). I like Brisebois, but think the LD is going to fill up soon if we add Rathbone and/or Tryamkin this year and to get someone with Gusev's potential for the top 6 and may only cost 4 million a season for a couple of years, I'd take the gamble.

We will have to move out a forward to proceed with this though and it is a gamble considering no one really knows how Gusev will perform at the NHL level. I don't think Vegas wants to see what his potential may be in their division and conference though at a low cost.

6 hours ago, BPA said:

Much rather trade Goldobin  + 2nd + low tier prospect for Tuch.

That would help Vegas shave at least 3M in cap space.

Vegas ain’t going to trade Tuch. He’s locked in long term at a really good cap hit.

• Like 1