The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Intense hail storm in Mexico blankets city in 150 cm of ice

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

There is no proof that human activity is leading to climate change!

Hail is not uncommon during the summer. In fact, it is quite likely. For many people, it is counterintuitive that large chunks of ice can fall from the sky during the hottest season of the year. Hail forms in cumulonimbus clouds, which are quite common during the warm season. NOAA's National Severe Storms Laboratory website points out that:

Hailstones grow by colliding with supercooled water drops. Supercooled water will freeze on contact with ice crystals, frozen raindrops, dust or some other nuclei. Thunderstorms that have a strong updraft keep lifting the hailstones up to the top of the cloud where they encounter more supercooled water and continue to grow. The hail falls when the thunderstorm's updraft can no longer support the weight of the ice or the updraft weakens. The stronger the updraft the larger the hailstone can grow.

Because lightning is a good proxy for thunderstorms, it is clear from the lightning climatology map below that Mexico can experience the type of storms that produce hail. Legendary climatologist Stan Changnon, Jr. published a paper on the climatology of North American hail in the Journal of Applied Meteorology. This 1977 study found that hail is most likely to occur in the Spring or Summer primarily in the Central Plateau and high mountains. His study also found hail to be less common in coastal Mexico or the Yucatan Peninsula. Most places averaged 3 to 4 hail days per year, but higher elevations could experience more hail days.

Global lightning distribution as measured from satellites.

Global lightning distribution as measured from satellites.

NASA

It is not surprising that higher elevations would experience a greater number of hail days. Florida receives more thunderstorms than most states in the U.S., but "hail alley" is in Colorado, Nebraska, and Wyoming. These states receive 7 to 9 hail days per year according to NOAA because the freezing levels (32 degrees F or less) in those regions are closer to the ground. Guadalajara, Mexico sits at an elevation above 5,000 feet. Hail is not necessarily abnormal at this geographic location. What about the vigorous amount of hail seen in photographs all over social media?

Climatologist Daniel Swain offers some cautionary thoughts about those images. Swain is a climate scientist at the University of California-Los Angeles (UCLA). He told me in a message:

It was clearly a dramatic and extremely impressive event with major local impacts--but I think the physical characteristics have been fundamentally mischaracterized. I have no doubt there were 1-2 meter hail drifts in some spots (photos attest to that)--but those drifts were clearly created by flash flooding down streets and culverts in a highly urbanized area. (A strong clue are the cars stacked on top of each other--water did that, not hail!). Come to think of it, the physical constraints of a single storm dropping 6+ feet of actual solid ice would probably be prohibitive anywhere on Earth, I would think. I don't know the exact numbers, but even just considering the amount of column water or the vertical forces required to loft that much solid water...well, suffice it to say it would stretch credulity.

Radar and satellite images clearly indicated that rain-producing storms were training (constantly reforming in this area to produce flooding and what some have referred to as "hail glaciers."

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

There is no proof that human activity is leading to climate change!

I just read this article on the arctic permafrost.. basically areas are thawing in the the canadian arctic decades faster than anticipated. The rapid thawing has a risk of releasing heat trapping gases that cause a positive feedback loop leading to exponential heat trapping. Bad. The article mentions that even the 2015 Paris agreement isn't enough (good job Trump). There needs to be drastic changes. Change is happening far too slowly.

While I think that it can not be necessarily proven humans are directly responsible for climate change, to say that we aren't contributing to the acceleration of the process in a dangerous way is foolish.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-climate-change-permafrost-idUSKCN1TJ1XN?fbclid=IwAR1JBoCiHj0O9avK5Y1st0bY2BpYPNJ1pnwf0CzPirVoTNXFK8UwcMFi24Q

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I just read this article on the arctic permafrost.. basically areas are thawing in the the canadian arctic decades faster than anticipated. The rapid thawing has a risk of releasing heat trapping gases that cause a positive feedback loop leading to exponential heat trapping. Bad. The article mentions that even the 2015 Paris agreement isn't enough (good job Trump). There needs to be drastic changes. Change is happening far too slowly.

While I think that it can not be necessarily proven humans are directly responsible for climate change, to say that we aren't contributing to the acceleration of the process in a dangerous way is foolish.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-climate-change-permafrost-idUSKCN1TJ1XN?fbclid=IwAR1JBoCiHj0O9avK5Y1st0bY2BpYPNJ1pnwf0CzPirVoTNXFK8UwcMFi24Q

If you are interested, Canadian Arctic still quite cold in historic terms:

Temperature and Precipitation History of the Arctic

300px-65_Myr_Climate_Change.png

In terms of what it looked like, scientists have figured the Canadian Arctic could have appeared something like this about 65 million years ago (about 1% of the Earth's history....so baby steps in time).

banner%20mural%20(1).jpg

• Upvote 1