The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2020 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 Oct.6 @ 4pm PST (SN). Rounds 2-7 Oct.7 @ 8:30am (SN1)

Noble 6

On 1/18/2020 at 10:22 PM, TGokou said:

I came on here to talk about Michael Benning as I think he would be an excellent 3rd round pick (not even considering his blood relation to Jim Benning). Like you said, very similar stats and age - adjusted scoring compared to Cale Makar. 

Yeah he is committed to go to University of Denver next year too which is a good school. 

Lundell is having a phenomenal year. He missed some time due to an injury (including the WJC) but hasn't slowed down at all since his return. He's known as a responsible, two-way center but has shown offensive ability this year as well. 

There aren't many players who have a significant positive impact in a professional men's league in their draft years and the ones that do get taken very early in the draft. Lundell has been doing that. For those who remember last year's WJC, Lundell played an important role as Finland's 2C on their gold medal winning team as an underager. That is also very impressive. 

For reference, Lundell would have certainly cracked the top 3 last year and would have been a real contender for 1st overall. This year it's tough to put him in the top 5. That's how ridiculously stacked the top end of this draft is. 

Edited by Horvat is a Boss
  • Like 1

This thread has been so dead considering we most likely won't have our 1st round pick this year. Also hard to get excited about a 2nd round pick that will be in the lower half of 62. Good problem to have I guess and noone anticipated the season Miller has been having. Masterful trade of the century for Jim Benning so far.

14 minutes ago, TGokou said:

This thread has been so dead considering we most likely won't have our 1st round pick this year. Also hard to get excited about a 2nd round pick that will be in the lower half of 62. Good problem to have I guess and noone anticipated the season Miller has been having. Masterful trade of the century for Jim Benning so far.

I will put down some names for you guys to check into for late 2nd early 3rd:
You can find details on some players here: https://dobberprospects.com/team/2020-nhl-draft/

Sam Colangelo
Jan Mysak
William Villeneuve
Kasper Simontaival
Jaromir Pytlik
Helge Grans (Prob gone though)
Topi Niemelä
Donovan Sebrango

Yan Kuznetsov
Luke Evangelista
Jack Finley

Tyson Foerster
Théo Rochette
Brock Faber

Dylan Peterson
Parker Ford (Later round probably, turns 20 this year)

Also this NHLe is interesting to look at: 
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2020-draft-nhle-rankings.2729969/

1186891319_ScreenShot2020-01-30at3_08_14PM.png.560f042a0f245c100bef3b1e50d3baf4.png

957651744_ScreenShot2020-01-30at3_08_29PM.thumb.png.727c0311c6be761c1b3711cb88c17127.png

1841649844_ScreenShot2020-01-30at3_08_52PM.png.d1a4969b46dc794a4eb1545e00ec38cc.png

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, R3aL said:

This is the least attention I have paid to this thread and draft class in YEARS... haha

Same haha, i definitely haven't been as engaged even though it's such a great draft class but still following closely. 

• Huggy Bear 1

On 2/6/2020 at 12:54 PM, R3aL said:

This is the least attention I have paid to this thread and draft class in YEARS... haha

Yeah same for me. It sucks potentially not having a first round pick. I love the draft but having your first pick around 50 takes a lot of the excitement out of it. Watch Benning trade for a 1rst round pick at the draft and nobody has any input because we’ve all been tuned out thinking we weren’t picking that high.

• Huggy Bear 1

15 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Yeah same for me. It sucks potentially not having a first round pick. I love the draft but having your first pick around 50 takes a lot of the excitement out of it. Watch Benning trade for a 1rst round pick at the draft and nobody has any input because we’ve all been tuned out thinking we weren’t picking that high.

90% sure Benning has said he wants to recoup that pick. Really want a pick that allows us to get Niemela

2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

What are we giving up to get that pick back? Markstrom? Thats the only thing we have thats valuable when it comes to tradeable asset. Unless im forgetting someone. 

Id argue Tanev as well. Pearson+ maybe?

I don't disagree with you, but I do remember Benning saying it

On 2/7/2020 at 4:51 PM, flickyoursedin said:

That would be interesting! 

20 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Id argue Tanev as well. Pearson+ maybe?

I don't disagree with you, but I do remember Benning saying it

I remember JB saying there was a plan in place to recoup our first too.  I’d say it’s Demko though.  He’s gone at this coming 2020 draft for a first.  Whether we get the first in 2020 or 2021 is still in question.  

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

I remember JB saying there was a plan in place to recoup our first too.  I’d say it’s Demko though.  He’s gone at this coming 2020 draft for a first.  Whether we get the first in 2020 or 2021 is still in question.  

Moving Demko would be just stupid. 

29 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Moving Demko would be just stupid. 

Why would it? The assumption is that Markstrom would have an extension already. You don’t want to have both goalies come expansion draft as one surely gets taken. The longer you hold onto both the less value you’ll get as more teams will look to trade their good backups instead of losing them for nothing. If Demko can return a 1rst rounder and Markstrom is signed I’d have no issue with trading him at the draft.

11 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Why would it? The assumption is that Markstrom would have an extension already. You don’t want to have both goalies come expansion draft as one surely gets taken. The longer you hold onto both the less value you’ll get as more teams will look to trade their good backups instead of losing them for nothing. If Demko can return a 1rst rounder and Markstrom is signed I’d have no issue with trading him at the draft.

I feel like having demko long term gives us a better chance. Wouldn't wanna see markstrom go but we have been so patient with Demko, he's our number 1 of the future.