The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2020 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 Oct.6 @ 4pm PST (SN). Rounds 2-7 Oct.7 @ 8:30am (SN1)

Noble 6

8 minutes ago, cyoung said:

I feel like having demko long term gives us a better chance. Wouldn't wanna see markstrom go but we have been so patient with Demko, he's our number 1 of the future.

I’m cool either way but I’d like to get good value in a trade for either one of our guys. It’s not like Markstrom is old and has been relatively healthy. Don’t want to lose good assets for nothing. It’s just the closer you get to that expansion the less value you’re gonna get

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

I’m cool either way but I’d like to get good value in a trade for either one of our guys. It’s not like Markstrom is old and has been relatively healthy. Don’t want to lose good assets for nothing. It’s just the closer you get to that expansion the less value you’re gonna get

I'd prefer Demko over Markström as well. Nothing against Markström, he has definitely grown as a goalie, and is a good tender. But Demko is 25 years old, and he deserves a chance to be "the guy" on the team. The organization has also poured in a tremendous amount of resources to developing him. I guess a deal could be struck with the Canucks with Seattle (a draft pick) going Seattle's way to not pick Demko. But why would Seattle do that? 

Picking Demko would simply stroke the fires of this soon to be rivalry between the two franchises. I just don't want Seattle to be too good too fast, like Vegas. 

• Huggy Bear 1

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I'd prefer Demko over Markström as well. Nothing against Markström, he has definitely grown as a goalie, and is a good tender. But Demko is 25 years old, and he deserves a chance to be "the guy" on the team. The organization has also poured in a tremendous amount of resources to developing him. I guess a deal could be struck with the Canucks with Seattle (a draft pick) going Seattle's way to not pick Demko. But why would Seattle do that? 

Picking Demko would simply stroke the fires of this soon to be rivalry between the two franchises. I just don't want Seattle to be too good too fast, like Vegas. 

If Seattle is willing to make as many backdoor deals as Vegas did. I would have come out of that expansion draft more on the villain side if that was me. Would have taken Dumba for sure from Minny. There was a few more I wouldn’t have been so kind can’t really remember right now.

8 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

If Seattle is willing to make as many backdoor deals as Vegas did. I would have come out of that expansion draft more on the villain side if that was me. Would have taken Dumba for sure from Minny. There was a few more I wouldn’t have been so kind can’t really remember right now.

Vegas would be the king of 'backdoors'. 

No way a hippy city like Seattle 'backdoors' like dirty vegas would.

Come on...

:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Simon Kubicek looks like a decent prospect we could get in the third. Currently playing for Seatle Thunderbirds

Edit. He is also good at fighting 

Simon Kubicek

Defense -- shoots R
Born Dec 19 2001 -- Jindrichuv Hradec, Czech Rep. 
[18 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.02 -- Weight 203 [188 cm/92 kg]
Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Simon Kubicek looks like a decent prospect we could get in the third. Currently playing for Seatle Thunderbirds

Edit. He is also good at fighting 

Simon Kubicek

Defense -- shoots R
Born Dec 19 2001 -- Jindrichuv Hradec, Czech Rep. 
[18 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.02 -- Weight 203 [188 cm/92 kg]

I liked what I saw from him in the WJC and said at that time that we should pick him up. I'm hoping he drops to our 3rd round pick. Big steal in the 4th round IMO if he falls that far.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

would be nice if we could find another Tyler Madden type pick with our 2020 3rd 

We have drafted Tryamkin, Brisebois, Lockwood, DiPietro, and Madden in the 3rd round. Looks to be a pretty good draft round for us. We also used the most recent 3rd in a package to acquire Miller, so lots of good vibes coming from the 3rd round.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Feels weird to not be invested in a draft, outside the top ten I'm pretty clueless.

It sucks because I love the draft. The optimism of possibly drafting the best player. I usually only invest the time on the first round and some odd 2nd round ranked players I feel are late 1rst round quality and root for them to make it to our 2nd round. Now that we traded our 2nd rounder I guess I’ll just be pleasantly surprised as I don’t know how deep into the draft I want to invest.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Damn at this time of the year we would have probably around 60-70 pages of draft discussion

Funny?

I was just thinking that. Then read the last few posts... :P

Not that funny really. We possibly have no 1st or 2knd. Did we also trade a 3rd for Domingue? Where last year everyone was dreaming Dach, or uniting the Hughes brothers.

Wonder if this thread will pick up, if we drop out of playoff position?

(Come at me bro ;))

I kid, I kid.

(Or do I?) 

:lol:

Anyway, assuming we’re not picking until well into day 2, time to start discussing some lesser known prospects who should be available when we pick.

I’ve recently taken notice of the impressive season Trevor Kuntar is putting up with the Youngstown Phantoms in the USHL. 

(And he already appears on my “all name” draft list ;))

Kuntar went undrafted last year, despite putting up some respectable U18 numbers for the USHL. He’s a June birthday, so he’s still only 18, and this year he’s a top-10 scorer in the USHL and probably having the best offensive season of any player on a team outside of league powerhouses Chicago and Dubuque. With 51 points (27G 24A) in 42 games, Kuntar is currently only 5 points off the leaguewide scoring lead, and sits second place in goals. Pretty good numbers, especially on what’s a fairly offensively challenged Phantoms team this season.

Kuntar has good size, with a Horvat-like build at 6’0” and 203 lbs, skates very well (in terms of speed, although his edgework has room for improvement), is very solid on his skates and tough to move, can play a heavy game (at the USHL level anyway), has good puck skills, can snipe with a pretty decent shot, goes hard to the net, and has above average hockey sense and offensive instincts.

Started this season as a “C” rated prospect but recently he’s been upgraded to a “B” rating.

#76 overall on Craig Button’s recent list.

I don’t necessarily see any real elite talents in his toolbox, but he’s definitely a solid all-around player. 

Plays LW and C. Mostly 1LW of late, but has also played 2C at times this season.

With the strength of our scouting at the USHL level, I’m sure the Canucks are already very familiar with this player (also because his played two season with Canucks 2019 pick Jack Malone, including some time as linemates).

Might be a player to consider in the middle rounds, and certainly worth a shot if he’s still hanging around the board in the later rounds, where we’re had good success with USHL picks.

Kuntar is committed to Harvard and will join the Crimson next season, possibly even playing with Rathbone (if he isn’t signed this spring).

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Wonder if this thread will pick up, if we drop out of playoff position?

(Come at me bro ;))

I kid, I kid.

(Or do I?) 

:lol:

Anyway, assuming we’re not picking until well into day 2, time to start discussing some lesser known prospects who should be available when we pick.

I’ve recently taken notice of the impressive season Trevor Kuntar is putting up with the Youngstown Phantoms in the USHL. 

(And he already appears on my “all name” draft list ;))

Kuntar went undrafted last year, despite putting up some respectable U18 numbers for the USHL. He’s a June birthday, so he’s still only 18, and this year he’s a top-10 scorer in the USHL and probably having the best offensive season of any player on a team outside of league powerhouses Chicago and Dubuque. With 51 points (27G 24A) in 42 games, Kuntar is currently only 5 points off the leaguewide scoring lead, and sits second place in goals. Pretty good numbers, especially on what’s a fairly offensively challenged Phantoms team this season.

Kuntar has good size, with a Horvat-like build at 6’0” and 203 lbs, skates very well (in terms of speed, although his edgework has room for improvement), is very solid on his skates and tough to move, can play a heavy game (at the USHL level anyway), has good puck skills, can snipe with a pretty decent shot, goes hard to the net, and has above average hockey sense and offensive instincts.

Started this season as a “C” rated prospect but recently he’s been upgraded to a “B” rating.

#76 overall on Craig Button’s recent list.

I don’t necessarily see any real elite talents in his toolbox, but he’s definitely a solid all-around player. 

Plays LW and C. Mostly 1LW of late, but has also played 2C at times this season.

With the strength of our scouting at the USHL level, I’m sure the Canucks are already very familiar with this player (also because his played two season with Canucks 2019 pick Jack Malone, including some time as linemates).

Might be a player to consider in the middle rounds, and certainly worth a shot if he’s still hanging around the board in the later rounds, where we’re had good success with USHL picks.

Kuntar is committed to Harvard and will join the Crimson next season, possibly even playing with Rathbone (if he isn’t signed this spring).

If we do keep our first for this 2020 draft it’s going to be 10-15.  Not a very good spot to draft.  Odds of getting a top player are way better top five.  

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we do keep our first for this 2020 draft it’s going to be 10-15.  Not a very good spot to draft.  Odds of getting a top player are way better top five.  

No doubt. But still a very nice crop of players this year in that 10-15 range. A guy like Dylan Holloway, for example, would be an amazing addition to our current group.

I hope we find a way to acquire a second round pick. Would be a great year to take a big swing at some of the potential steals. There are a handful of kids with truly elite potential (but with undeniable risk factors, or who are undervalued due to counting stats vs. underlyings and/or league value biases) that are almost assured to slip past the first round. 

Even the third round might have a few fallers that offer legitimate “first round” level talent and potential. Guys like Marat Khusnutdinov and Kasper Simontaival (although I suspect he won’t fall that far, despite some rankings currently having him this low) come to mind here.

• Upvote 1

NHL website Dec 4th 2019.

1. (1) Alexis Lafreniere (6-foot-1, 196 pounds), F, Rimouski (QMJHL) -- An incredible playmaker with great vision, accurate shot and appetite for wins. He leads the QMJHL with 25 power-play points (one goal, 24 assists).

2. (2) Quinton Byfield (6-4, 215), F, Sudbury (OHL) -- The left-handed center is a powerful skater with breakaway speed and has an exceptional skill set. He ranks fourth in the Ontario Hockey League with 50 points (20 goals, 30 assists) in 28 games.

3. (3) Alexander Holtz (5-11, 192), F, Djurgarden (SWE) -- A goal-scorer with a great selection of shots, the right wing plays a tough, intelligent game. He has seven points (five goals, two assists), three game-winning goals and 34 shots on goal while averaging 13:35 in ice time in 19 games in the Swedish Hockey League.

4. (5) Cole Perfetti (5-10, 177), F, Saginaw (OHL) -- A skilled forward with high hockey IQ and competitiveness, Perfetti ranks ninth in the OHL with 42 points (13 goals, 29 assists) in 26 games.

5. (4) Lucas Raymond (5-11, 170), F, Frolunda (SWE) -- An explosive skater with soft hands and fantastic hockey IQ, the right wing has five points (three goals, two assists) and a plus-7 rating in 16 games in the Swedish Hockey League.

6. (6) Yaroslav Askarov (6-3, 176), G, SKA-Neva St. Petersburg (RUS) -- An intimidating presence in net with great athleticism and a quick glove. Askarov is 10-1-3 with a 2.27 goals-against average and .925 save percentage in 14 games in the Supreme Hockey League. 

7. (9) Marco Rossi (5-9, 183), F, Ottawa (OHL) -- The Austria-born left-handed shot is tough in his own end and possesses a high hockey IQ and good hands. He ranks fifth in the OHL with 49 points (16 goals, 33 assists) and is 59.1 percent on face-offs (257-for-435).

8. (7) Jamie Drysdale (5-11, 175), D, Erie (OHL) -- Drysdale might just be the best defenseman available in the 2020 NHL Draft, capable of driving play with his skating and elite hockey sense. He ranks third among OHL defensemen with 30 points (five goals, 25 assists) in 27 games.

9. (15) Tim Stutzle (6-1, 185), F, Mannheim (DEL) -- A hard-working center with exceptional skating, puck skills and vision. He has 21 points (five goals, 16 assists) in 23 games playing in Germany.

10. (10) Hendrix Lapierre (5-11, 179), F, Chicoutimi (QMJHL) -- The center, who has 17 points (two goals, 15 assists) in 19 games, offers great hockey sense, competitiveness and playmaking qualities. Lapierre, currently out indefinitely because of an upper-body injury, may have the highest ceiling of any player projected to go in the first round.

11. (8) Anton Lundell (6-1, 185), F, HIFK (FIN) -- A two-way center, who has an upper-body injury and will miss the next 3-5 weeks, has 12 points (six goals, six assists) and 74 shots on goal in 20 games in Liiga, Finland's top professional league. 

12. (12) Dylan Holloway (6-0, 203), F, Wisconsin (NCAA) -- A complete center who has a great skill set, hands, competitiveness and drive to create offense has seven points (three goals, four assists) and 36 shots on goal in 15 games as a freshman.

13. (11) Justin Barron (6-1, 195), D, Halifax (QMJHL) -- The 18-year-old right-hand shot sustained a blood clot and is out indefinitely, but when healthy is an excellent skater capable of making the good first pass. He has 17 points (four goals, 13 assists) in 27 games.

14. (16) Braden Schneider (6-2, 202), D, Brandon (WHL) -- A hard-skating, two-way right-handed shot with great competitiveness and hockey IQ, who has 20 points (three goals, 17 assists) in 28 games.

15. (NR) Dawson Mercer (6-0, 181), F, Drummondville (QMJHL) -- Plays a smart, honest and heads-up game, finishes his checks and is effective on the power play and penalty kill. He has 36 points (17 goals, 19 assists) in 23 games.