The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2020 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 Oct.6 @ 4pm PST (SN). Rounds 2-7 Oct.7 @ 8:30am (SN1)

Noble 6

2 hours ago, NexusRift said:

They can do a virtual draft, can they not?

They can. But nothing will be decided until the league decides what to do with the rest of the season. The league is kicking around a few ideas with regards to how to hold the draft. They’ve assured Montreal that if they don’t get to host a full blown draft this year they’ll get it next year or the year after 

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

They can. But nothing will be decided until the league decides what to do with the rest of the season. The league is kicking around a few ideas with regards to how to hold the draft. They’ve assured Montreal that if they don’t get to host a full blown draft this year they’ll get it next year or the year after 

In the event that it is decided and they do a virtual draft, they can totally turn it into a Sports TV event and televise it. In so much as I'm enjoying re-broadcasts of past games, a live broadcast of the NHL kind....well........would definitely be welcome. 

Starving for Canucks hockey in Victoria....And doing my part in the Covid-19 era. 

Cheers.

1 hour ago, NexusRift said:

In the event that it is decided and they do a virtual draft, they can totally turn it into a Sports TV event and televise it. In so much as I'm enjoying re-broadcasts of past games, a live broadcast of the NHL kind....well........would definitely be welcome. 

Starving for Canucks hockey in Victoria....And doing my part in the Covid-19 era. 

Cheers.

The first round is already televised.  If they do it remotely it’ll be more dull than usual. Essentially it would be remote feeds of guys in the various war rooms.  Personally I’m more interested in finding out if there will be any changes to the ranking/lottery system.  I can’t imagine there will be anything too drastic if they do.  The resident thing to do is set the order based on point percentage and then apply the lottery rankings to the 15 teams that would have missed the playoffs (as if the playoffs went forward) 

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Worth taking a shot on Penticton Vee forward Danny Weight (son of Dough Weight) with a pick in round 4-7?

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/279770/danny-weight

Decent numbers and is committed to Boston College next season

That Vees team is heavy on NHL bloodlines. In addition to Weight, they have two of Scott Niedermayer’s sons, Mike Sillinger’s son, Stu Barnes’s son, and Tony Amonte’s son.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That Vees team is heavy on NHL bloodlines. In addition to Weight, they have two of Scott Niedermayer’s sons, Mike Sillinger’s son, Stu Barnes’s son, and Tony Amonte’s son.

They were interesting to watch this year for sure.  I remember being impressed by Sillinger.  I watched Danny Weight fairly closely during games.  He'd be fairly meh and then pull some sick move that would have you picking your jaw up off the floor.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, um... *giggles* for a late round pick:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/40878/mustapha-lemieux

22 years old, but plays outside North America so should be eligible.

5’4”, 289 lbs

In 2018-19, Mustapha scored 69 goals in 69 games! And added 699 PIM! And zero assists!

Ok, if you haven’t guessed by now, this is fake and a test profile on EP. 

But hilariously:

Can’t blame that Chinese team, given Mustapha’s gaudy stats. 

Plus the scouting reports and interviews:

0400FA19-EDDD-4848-B279-5B18F1305264.jpeg.777810ec54987a2ab28fb32e280b0b2f.jpeg

5706A9DE-D47A-4653-83C5-9603542281A0.jpeg.f8b897ddfa9f7ff2271d362f5e34ebca.jpeg

Can’t believe I’ve never come across this before, given how much time I spend on EP, but was worth the wait. :lol:

Also, just for a bonus (and this one is actually real):

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/588085/paris-hilton

https://www.wnd.com/2007/06/42071/

• Haha 2

So is it too soon to start looking at prospects in the 10-20 range?

If the NHL gets their way, which they very well might. Looks like the Canucks would keep their 1st round pick this draft.

Is it a foregone conclusion that we’ll take a D man? I know BPA is the usual route but we can’t deny a need for D men at this point. Any player stand out?

Edited by DeNiro

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

So is it too soon to start looking at prospects in the 10-20 range?

If the NHL gets their way, which they very well might. Looks like the Canucks would keep their 1st round pick this draft.

Is it a foregone conclusion that we’ll take a D man? I know BPA is the usual route but we can’t deny a need for D men at this point. Any player stand out?

Really like Braeden Schneider in that range. Reminds me of Seabrook. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

17 hours ago, DeNiro said:

A player like Seabrook would be a perfect compliment to Hughes.

Need to start thinking past Tanev.

Well Seabrook is now on LTI and is paid $6.8 mill.until 2024.  He certainly complimented a more risky player like Keith for many years but that boats sailed, Chicago would love to get rid of his contract

5 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Well Seabrook is now on LTI and is paid $6.8 mill.until 2024.  He certainly complimented a more risky player like Keith for many years but that boats sailed, Chicago would love to get rid of his contract

I was referring to Braden Schneider in this upcoming draft. 

Apparently he is comparable to Seabrook.

2 hours ago, YungWee said:

It looks like our pick (#17) is going to go to the Devils this year.

Makes sense. Especially with the uncertainty of the cap. We could be royally screwed this off-season and scale back next year. We shall see. 

8 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Makes sense. Especially with the uncertainty of the cap. We could be royally screwed this off-season and scale back next year. We shall see. 

If we would have lost in the shootout against the Islanders before the season got suspended we would have the 11th pick this year and would keep it. :mad:

10 minutes ago, YungWee said:

If we would have lost in the shootout against the Islanders before the season got suspended we would have the 11th pick this year and would keep it. :mad:

But then also might not qualify for the playoffs if they resume the season and go straight to the postseason.

Also this is far from being approved.

I think with the rumours of the NBA pushing for a December start next season it’s more likely we see the draft happen sometime in September.

The only motivation for the NHL is to fill a void for NHL consumers. Don’t think that’s enough to sell the board of governors on.

Edited by DeNiro

Seeing that there is a high chance we don't pick until the third round William Villeneuve is someone I'd like to select

Right shot dman who transitions the puck very well - Seeing a lot of scouting rankings vary with him from either being a mid 2nd round pick to late 4th round pick.  Might be in our wheel house to pick, hopefully he is there.

• Cheers 1

On 5/3/2020 at 3:06 PM, YungWee said:

It looks like our pick (#17) is going to go to the Devils this year.

interesting possibility is that the NHL might let teams renegotiate a trade, which means we could renegotiate the deal with NJ, they give us our 1st back and we give them??? 

VAN 1st for Stecher and Virtanen?

I would not do this as I Virtanen is coming into his own, but we are having cap issues and we might lose stecher for nothing ....

How about  VAN 1st for Stecher and Rafferty?