The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2020 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 Oct.6 @ 4pm PST (SN). Rounds 2-7 Oct.7 @ 8:30am (SN1)

Noble 6

12 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

interesting possibility is that the NHL might let teams renegotiate a trade, which means we could renegotiate the deal with NJ, they give us our 1st back and we give them??? 

VAN 1st for Stecher and Virtanen?

I would not do this as I Virtanen is coming into his own, but we are having cap issues and we might lose stecher for nothing ....

How about  VAN 1st for Stecher and Rafferty?

We are not trading Virtanen.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

We are not trading Virtanen.

the next cam neely?

I find rafferty an intriguing piece to move, I think we should sell high, i think this is the best he will do- another marc-andre gargani, 

what do you think we could get for him?

8 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

the next cam neely?

I find rafferty an intriguing piece to move, I think we should sell high, i think this is the best he will do- another marc-andre gargani, 

what do you think we could get for him?

Probably a good journeyman AHLer or bottom 6 veteran NHLer.

Youre not getting much for him until he’s proven.

Assuming that we don't keep our 1st round pick this year I think that in a way this will be a blessing in disguise as the prospects will be 'less' scouted than normal and there could be fallers that we can snag with our 3rd and up. I have lots of faith in our scouting staff to pick out the gems.

1 hour ago, TGokou said:

Assuming that we don't keep our 1st round pick this year I think that in a way this will be a blessing in disguise as the prospects will be 'less' scouted than normal and there could be fallers that we can snag with our 3rd and up. I have lots of faith in our scouting staff to pick out the gems.

Weird situation where we didn’t make the playoffs because there wasn’t any playoffs. However if there were and if it was based off of a winning percentage we would have made the playoffs. However technically speaking there wasn’t any playoffs. I feel like they’ll give Vancouver the choice and if that’s the case I’d assume they elect to keep this years 1rst rounder as we already don’t have a 2nd round pick.

How would people feel about taking Askarov if he somehow slipped and we kept our pick?

I know we have three solid goalies but it would give us some serious depth and prepare us for having to trade Demko or Markstrom or losing one in the expansion draft.

That way we could trade Demko and keep Markstrom and still have DiPietro and Askarov coming up in the pipeline for when Markstrom starts to decline in 4 or 5 years.

Might be time to start planning for that. And we might not get a better shot at a goalie of this caliber. He’s looking like another Vasilevsky.

• Cheers 2

SO... If we lose in play-in round, we are entered to the draft lottery. Do we still give up that pick to NJD

EDIT: 

I was just thinking assuming we lose in the play-ins and we get to keep our 1st rd pick, and we are lucky enough to pick in the top 10 because watch picks 8-15 be allocated due to luck maybe we can pick Askarov and trade demko for a late 1st/early 2nd? Idk how much demko is worth tho. Just spit balling and not trying to get my hopes up. 

Edited by DontMessMe

On 5/25/2020 at 9:47 PM, DontMessMe said:

SO... If we lose in play-in round, we are entered to the draft lottery. Do we still give up that pick to NJD

I

EDIT: 

I was just thinking assuming we lose in the play-ins and we get to keep our 1st rd pick, and we are lucky enough to pick in the top 10 because watch picks 8-15 be allocated due to luck maybe we can pick Askarov and trade demko for a late 1st/early 2nd? Idk how much demko is worth tho. Just spit balling and not trying to get my hopes up. 

I'm not a huge fan of dealing Demko, but if you were to, I think you'd have to tie him to LE as a cap dump for minimal return.  That would allow us to keep Tofolli, which I feel would be far better than a first.